Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:35 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

by sanderson Today at 2:30 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

how to harvest compost

View previous topic View next topic Go down

how to harvest compost

Post  newstart on 1/29/2012, 8:22 am

This seems like such a silly question to post. But sometimes I need answers really

S L O W L Y lol!

Ok when you use your homemade compost, you take out the things that need more time and put back into the pile. Get that. The stuff thats left do you take directly and put in beds. Or does it need to be sifted before to take out any bugs or large pieces. Then mixed into mels mis or beds for planting....

I have been cold composting so have lots of little buggies in there. I do not want to put them in my mix and then they eat all my hard work... Any thoughts or tips is welcomed

newstart

Female Posts : 335

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: how to harvest compost

Post  camprn on 1/29/2012, 8:56 am

Some folks do sift, but me being one who avoids any unnecessary expending of energy, I don't sift my compost (beyond throwing back the occasional mango pit or whatever into the compost pile) if there are a few chunks left in the compost when I add it to the garden, the worms (and time) usually take care of it. I know that Quiltbea uses a plastic storage basket, for sifting her compost. It looks the one below.
Most of the bugs that live in a compost pile eat dead and decaying organic matter and should not usually disturb your growing plants.

Photos of compost sifter set ups.

here is a photo of an archeology student using a suspended dirt sifter.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 1/29/2012, 9:50 am

Homegrown compost does take a bit more thought than a soil based row garden. Back in the day Ray just tilled whatever was in the pile (come spring) into my garden where it finished composting. My SFG is not as biologically active as my loam garden. It can do some self-composting but for the most part it needs finished compost. I regularly turn my piles. When I am turning the pile, if I need compost, when I come to the guts of the pile where the finished part is, I shovel it into my bucket to transport to the garden. Once my garden has been established (i.e. I am way past 1/3 peat + 1/3 compost + 1/3 vermiculite) this system of using the pile by the bucket load works for me.

However, when starting a new garden I sift with the 4-tine pitch fork that I turn the pile with. I want worms and worm food in my garden (way better garden food than the "worm castings" I have bought in the past). The garden fork sifts by me raking and bounce-tossing through the pile with the fork and putting back the elements (asparagus stems, unfinished straw, mats of lawn etc) that are not garden ready. It does have a coarse, unfinished look, but my biggest broccoli and best basil and salad grow from this compost. While mixing this beautiful, sweet smelling compost into the other elements of Mel's Mix, I use garden gloves to toss things like garlic ends and peach pits (as well as crushing chunks of peat).

The biggest problem I have run into with coarsely sifted compost is the occasional weed infestation. Last year It was chickweed (from the grass clippings). It was wrapped around my onions and leeks so thickly that at one point I had to let it go BUT chickweed is good worm food.

I practice rotation. My alums will inhabit a different box this year. Chickweed is easier to control around tomatoes and brussels sprouts (fewer stems to weave my fingers through).

All the best as you figure out what works best for you!

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 1/29/2012, 9:53 am

I sift finished compost through hardware cloth. There is no "rule" either way. At first I did it because I liked the appearance of the fluffy results. After reading a book on composting, it gave other reasons to sift like:
-Appearance- screening takes out inevitable foreign matter like tape or sticky fruit labels. The results are it looks wonderful and the texture is soft and velvety. I even put some in my houseplants and they love it too.
-Seed security - garden seeds can get lost in cracks and crevices of coarse compost, won't happen in fine textured screened material.
-Screening out chunks of leaves and other undecomposed material can go back to the compost heap where it can continue to break down into the fluffy stuff.
-If you store finished compost, screening results in less bulky material than unscreened, taking up less storage space.
-I find it relaxing to sit in a chair and screen away for black gold.
Bugs are not a bad thing, they are all part of the process along with the bacteria and molds. The compost heap is a teeming universe of microbial battle action of bacteria, fungi, worms and bugs. "Finished" earthy smelling compost is not truly finished. It is really called stable compost at this point. Compost continues to change for up to 2 years after the most active phases of decomposition takes place. If we grow 3 crops in a year and keep adding compost at the end of each harvested square we are continuously adding more good stuff to the box. There is incredible microscopic life going on. Isn't that pretty cool. Plants are just one part of your "living" box. I know all of this is more than you need to know, to screen or not to screen, really it's your choice, and in the end you will have a great time growing your own food.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4632

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti on 1/29/2012, 2:10 pm

I am too lazy to sift.

I have two compost piles. I use one while throwing fresh stuff on the other one until the first one is used up, then switch. I figure worms will finish it up.

It's one of the reasons I prefer a TALL raised bed on the ground to tabletops even though I'm partially disabled, I need my worm partners.

jpatti

Female Posts : 117

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart on 1/30/2012, 10:39 am

Ok I think i will shift but not over board just enough to get out any big chunks that need more time thanks for all the information everyone

newstart

Female Posts : 335

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 3/24/2012, 5:09 pm

I found this thread interesting and thought it deserved a bump.

Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 3/24/2012, 6:42 pm

I will be building my first compost bin and then start my pile within 2 weeks so I may need some starter info at that point.

What about produce that is being thrown out from grocery stores, and concerns?

floyd1440

Male Posts : 795

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/24/2012, 6:57 pm

I throw all my kitchen scraps into the pile, (but not bones or fats). There are a lot of threads about compost in the Compost Discussion sub-forum. Very Happy

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum