Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Today at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:41 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help with my non organic roomate

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help with my non organic roomate

Post  shannon1 on 1/31/2012, 3:27 am

My new roomate wants to grow roses and wants to use systemic pesticide. I'm going to have a little sit down with him and let him know that I'm just thrilled he wants to grow roses but the dangers those pesticides pose to my beloved bees. I guess I'm just needing some postive energy and/or prayers to help guide him on the path of looking at the big picture. I hope I can help him see he can still grow beautiful roses to give to the lovely ladies without harming nature.

I'm a Unitarian Universalist and one of the seven principles that Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote is "Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part." so you can see why this is so important to me. Send your loving egergy and support my way if you feel comfortable doing so, and I'll let you know how it works out thursday night.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help with my non organic roomate

Post  sfg4uKim on 1/31/2012, 7:51 am

Then I guess shooting him is out of the question? tongue

Can you offer to help care for them if he doesn't use that nasty stuff?

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1871

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 1/31/2012, 9:19 am

I feel your pain, my brother loves to openly mock me for my organic views. Smile Perhaps doing a bit of research about organic options and presenting them to him would help?

miinva

Female Posts : 778

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti on 1/31/2012, 9:43 am

I don't have a solution for you, but I empathize.

Years ago I had a roommate who didn't "get" the whole point of me gardening was to have clean produce. He always fertilized his lawn, and I explained why it mattered, and bought him a big bag of some expensive organic stuff, put it in the shed in advance, etc.

When it came time to fertilize, he completely forgot and ran out and bought some synthetic garbage - with an herbicide in it too to kill weeds. It was an honest mistake on his part, he just forgot because it didn't really matter to him. All he grew was lawns and roses and he thought my organic notions were kinda silly. He also thought I was overreacting cause I didn't want my garden anymore as it was no longer better than what I could buy at the grocery, so what is the point of all that work?

My eventual solution was to move. Sad

Hubby wouldn't consider even buying seed without consulting me, as the yard is "mine", so my acre here is pretty safe now. Wink

jpatti

Female Posts : 117

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 1/31/2012, 10:36 am

They are just as bad as smokers, they ruin it for everyone Sad
I moved out to the country onto a small acreage, and the property that borders mine has a very straight line of weeds/no weeds, my neighbour goes along with some kind of poison, likely roundup sprays the borders of the property. My well is unfortunately right next to the property.

There are new laws coming into effect up in Canada and already in several cities it is illegal to use many herbicides for "cosmetic" reasons, IE lawns and flower gardens. Those laws do not affect rural bc yet though No

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 1/31/2012, 2:15 pm

Ask him if he's willing to get a big plastic bag give a three second spray into it then sit down and breathe the contents for the next ten minutes.

Ordinary soapy dish drop water sprayed on roses is a very very effective green & black fly killer . You can get 40 gallons from one pint of dish drops which costs what .. A dollar ?

I for one wouldn't bother with his attitude towards green organics ....hit him in his health & family dept. .. have a look on line and see what you can find out about the chemical short & long term effects with respect to ...loss of male fertility , likely ... nay certainty ...loss of an errection , change in male hormones & genetic corruptions in their children etc. etc.

Print it out and say
" Hey I took time to loacte this on line ,. I would'nt want my worst enemy getting a dose of that stuff. "
" Here have a look , ......... what do you think ?"

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 1/31/2012, 2:43 pm

Shannon,

Your house (or apt), Your

He cannot be allowed to interfere with your healthy food supply.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 1/31/2012, 9:40 pm

If it is your house and he is renting from you then the last resort is to do what we do with children: "Because I say so". As with children, sometimes it is not worth explaining our reasoning, but everyone has to toe the line regardless.

Btw, I looked up 'toe the line', as opposed to tow the line is a phrase dictionary and got the following: The earlier meaning of 'to toe the line' was to position one's toes next to a marked line in order to be ready to start a race, or some other undertaking. From: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/toe-the-line.html

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v on 1/31/2012, 9:54 pm

When my in laws moved to our property a couple years ago, they wanted to rid their place of poison ivy. Dad went and bought round up (ack affraid ) they were asked to return it and I would find away to get it out of their paths. I am not allergic it seems, so if it has to be removed physically I can do it at this moment in my life. Since that time they (well Mom now) have asked what to use for anything, down to the tp enzymes in the septic.

I can only do this because this is our property Smile If it were in reverse I would not have any say. I could only suggest.

Ha-v-v

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 2/4/2012, 3:01 am

Thank all of you for your support and in put. I explained how systemic insecticides work since he liked to use Bayer's 3-way rose stuff. let him know what it would do to the population of lizards, frogs, toads, birds as well as bees. I told him since he is growing the roses in pots if he wanted to use chemical time released rose food that would be fine but no chemical pestisides. He said it went against everything he has read about growing roses but he is will to give it a try. I have expierance growing organic roses and look at this as an opptunity to teach a young (31yrs) gardener it can be done.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart on 2/4/2012, 8:46 am

all I can say is good luck. sometimes people just do not want to hear what you have to say. They just want the easy way

newstart

Female Posts : 335

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 2/5/2012, 1:55 am

He really seems like he is reasonable young man and was also is going to put his heart in it, just secpital but time will tell. I once he starts reaping the bennifits with me he will be all about it I'm sure

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:03 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum