Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:26 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hoping this will be the garden I can deal with

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hoping this will be the garden I can deal with

Post  Music Teacher on 2/5/2012, 12:06 am

Hello! I am sold on the idea of little weeding and seeing a melon grow vertically! I have a seed starter greenhouse, buckets of seeds, and enthusiasm. My family and I have been slowly becoming "mostly" vegetarian, so the idea of being able to grow our own makes a lot of sense.

Hoping to find help, support, and inspiration. Thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge!

Music Teacher

Female Posts : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping this will be the garden I can deal with

Post  shannon1 on 2/5/2012, 2:08 am

I'm so glad you are going to give SFG a shot. We are a helpful bunch no replacement for Mel's book though. It sounds like you have read it already. Nothing tastes as good as home grown vegies You will be rewarded for your efforts in more ways than you can think of.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 2/5/2012, 2:26 am

Well hello there! Welcome - glad you joined us!

I'd say growing your own veggies certainly does make a lot of sense indeed! Share pics of your seed starting when you get going please! I'm doing it for the first time this month.

Oooh, and I want a melon to grow vertically too. Still not sure I'm going to try it yet this year though - too many other things competing for my trellis space. Laughing

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 2/5/2012, 9:57 am

I can speak to it being "the garden I can deal with." When I started SFG my oldest was not yet 4, her sister was 2, and their baby brother was 3 months old. I was potty-training the older 2 and nursing the baby. My husband has no interest in gardening. SFG was EXACTLY what I needed! I started with 2 boxes (2x8 because I like a lot of trellis plants) and was able to set it up and maintain it despite the challenges of 3 little ones. You can do it!

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 2/5/2012, 10:40 am

Welcome to the Forum MT!

Have you had the chance to read the All New SFG book yet? Are you finding the Mel's Mix ingredients in your area?

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1871

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Music Teacher on 2/5/2012, 11:42 am

Hello Kim! I found a close source of vermiculite on the database. I hope to borrow some compost from a neighbor, and...still looking for peat. Walmart does some special ordering....might try that. I have the book, and I've read it pretty carefully.

Ellie, I only have one so far, but that is enough to keep me hopping! Thanks for the encouragement.

Gwen- I am hunting down some fenceposts to make sure mine is strong. I will take pics! Probably going to start Broccoli, Kale, and Cabbage today.

I am a little confused about frost dates. The different sites give me differet dates, from beginning to end of april. this winter has been so mild, I'm tempted to go with early to halfway. Any opinions about that? I'm in the lower part of zone 7

Music Teacher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Music Teacher on 2/5/2012, 11:44 am

shoot! this garden dot org site says I am 6b instead! or 7a at the most. Borderline. sorry for the confusion

Music Teacher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Music Teacher on 2/5/2012, 11:47 am

Shannon- love the little droolie smilie!

Music Teacher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 2/5/2012, 11:52 am

Welcome Music Teacher Like a Star @ heaven
Here is one of the better frost date sites that I have found (just my opinion)
http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/index.html
Usually peat or sphagnum should be easy to find. Any garden center should carry it.
Looking forward to gardening with you this season

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 2/5/2012, 12:02 pm

Music teacher, first of all, Welcome!

There is a lot of confusion over frost dates and zones. USDA put out a new, revised zone map just a few weeks ago, and there will be a lot of questions for a long time to come - is such and such a place 6a or 6b, 6b or 7a, etc. etc. etc.

My plan this year is to be reckless with any seeds of which I have plenty, are inexpensive, and are easily replaced if my gamble doesn't work. For instance, peas - easy, direct sown, cheap, plentiful. Regardless of my start date, I would be planting them a little this week, a little more next week, etc.

Hope I helped - sometimes I unintentionally obfuscate.

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 2/5/2012, 12:08 pm

obfuscate

I give up! study SOS

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 2/5/2012, 1:28 pm

nKedrOoStEr wrote:
obfuscate

Martha! BRAVO, it's not everyday one can actually use that word. Apparently you have succeeded by simply using it. lol!

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 2/5/2012, 1:38 pm

ob·fus·cate/ˈäbfəˌskāt/
Verb:
Render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible.
Bewilder (someone)like rooster.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 2/5/2012, 1:41 pm

But if someone obfuscates, what better word to use than obfuscate? And, I must confess, I only know the word from listening to Car Talk.

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson on 2/5/2012, 3:45 pm

@elliephant wrote:I can speak to it being "the garden I can deal with." When I started SFG my oldest was not yet 4, her sister was 2, and their baby brother was 3 months old. I was potty-training the older 2 and nursing the baby. My husband has no interest in gardening. SFG was EXACTLY what I needed! I started with 2 boxes (2x8 because I like a lot of trellis plants) and was able to set it up and maintain it despite the challenges of 3 little ones. You can do it!

Considering what you had to deal with, elliephant, my lugging an oxygen tank on my shoulder should be a snap! And my beds will be 2-fers as well!!!

Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/5/2012, 6:03 pm

@Music Teacher wrote:Hello! I am sold on the idea of little weeding and seeing a melon grow vertically! I have a seed starter greenhouse, buckets of seeds, and enthusiasm. My family and I have been slowly becoming "mostly" vegetarian, so the idea of being able to grow our own makes a lot of sense.

Hoping to find help, support, and inspiration. Thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge!

Hello MT, Welcome to the forum .
Have a great time here .. the site is good for me infact very good it's got me up and about ...I've lost over 13 pounds since November & I feel much better for it.

Are you moving to being veggies for healthly eating or emotional things wrt animals ?

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Music Teacher on 2/5/2012, 6:41 pm

Plantoid, a little of both. I've been reading a lot of Michael Pollan and watching "Food Inc, Food Matters, King Corn, etc., and we are enjoying moving to a more "plant based" diet overall. My husband has stomach issues in his family, and he is feeling better. I have struggled with my weight all of my life, and I have been losing better on this than any "diet." We have slowly, over the last 2 years, been moving away from processed food. It's been a long process, but we sometimes make it out of the store now with only whole food. cheers

Emotionally, I don't like the feedlot way of raising animals for meat. I don't think it's decent for cows to stand in the mud all day getting sick on corn, for chickens to live in battery cages, etc. I don't mind eating some humanely raised (trying to support grass fed, free range) meat now and then. We aren't doing this perfectly, but we are making changes. We will keep a few chickens this summer for eggs, and we are eating a lot more tofu, beans, and fish.

Pastured meat is expensive...makes it easier to see it as a splurge. Shocked

Music Teacher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo on 2/5/2012, 7:12 pm

Regarding this subject, I urge everyone to become enlightened by watching this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6361872964130308142#

All of us should be consciously aware of where our food comes and how it is treated before it reaches our table.

This video will make you appreciate growing your own food.

Please share this with others.

mijejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/6/2012, 6:44 pm

Nice post MT ,
I asked because of the need to continually source animal manures for composting to top up the nutients in the beds Mel advocates . I looked in to getting animal friendly stuff and hit several big high walls ,not much is available here in the UK .
Usually at the day the creature ends up as a meat source for other animals or humans so I started thinking about what & where one could make a different compost .
Unless you have a large range of species in a massively large area zoo near by I feel you're scuppered before you start .

I'm wondering if any veggie has come up with vegetable compost alternatives .. I know you can use comfrey ( Bocking 10 ) , sea weeds & to a certain extent waste vegetable preparation materials but I can't find out much about it's nutrient levels .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 2/7/2012, 4:03 am

@plantoid wrote:Nice post MT ,
I asked because of the need to continually source animal manures for composting to top up the nutients in the beds Mel advocates . I looked in to getting animal friendly stuff and hit several big high walls ,not much is available here in the UK .
Usually at the day the creature ends up as a meat source for other animals or humans so I started thinking about what & where one could make a different compost .
Unless you have a large range of species in a massively large area zoo near by I feel you're scuppered before you start .

I'm wondering if any veggie has come up with vegetable compost alternatives .. I know you can use comfrey ( Bocking 10 ) , sea weeds & to a certain extent waste vegetable preparation materials but I can't find out much about it's nutrient levels .
This won't help with the start up garden but Mel says if you use your own compost you don't have to mix 5 kinds together. Compost does not have to contain manure but if that is what you are after your chicken manure would be a good addition to the compost heap. Don't add any to your garden without composting first with the excption of rabbit poo, or it will burn your plants. I'm lucky there is an organic gardener at the farmers market here that sells rabbit manure cheap. She is a great gal and raises her rabbits humanely. Factory farming and corp.s like Monsanto are a blight on the planet. My family and I let our $ do the talking and do not buy their stuff. He## no, no GMO's.Mad

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Music Teacher on 2/7/2012, 1:43 pm

Plantoid, sorry about that. I haven't worried much about manure, just planning to use compost made from mostly plant stuff. Have you tried both ways? It may not make much of a difference. Guess I'll find out.

Music Teacher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/7/2012, 1:59 pm

Till now ( nearly forty five years ) I've always used animal droppings and their urine soaked beddings either as a manure or as a composted manure but I may soon have the chance of getting 200 to 400 pounds of friut & veg prep waste per month for a few months from a local business that preps raw stuff for schools , hospitals and hotels etc.
Composting that in my Daleks might be a bit sulphurous & otherwise stinky .
Some non composted matter will also be used for building up a couple of large worm tubs so there will be differences in the two finished products .

It will be an eye opener if the nutrient & trace element content of the totally vegetable composts exceeds that of the amimal based stuff but I'm not holding my breath .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

More Daleks in Plantoid's future?

Post  tomperrin on 2/7/2012, 2:56 pm

I imagine that if you layer those new veggie scraps with straw that should take care of any smells that would offend the "Lady" next door, don't you think. Maybe it's time to start buying Daleks wholesale!lol! You could paint them in pretty colors, cartoon characters, or portraits of Henry VIII or Darth Vader; better yet one of our politicians.

tom

tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/7/2012, 3:17 pm

I've thought of the layering Tom , it'd be a darn sight cheaper to stick a big bulldog clip on her nose and have done with it. Wink

Reckon I'll layer as you say I've stil got a full bale of wet barley straw .
I'll soon have some vegetable matter only compost & worm casts so think I'll cap off each full Dalek with five inches of that and spread it out as the contents shrink daily
I'm hoping for a bit of a warmer spell for the last 10 days the temp has not climbed much above freezing except for today whe we hit a balmy 50F ( 10 C)
One of the Daleks was frozen solid , so was the heaped contents of the trailer.. Ever tried cutting out nearly a cubic yard of finest frozen composted stable muck ?

If things don't warm up soon I'll have to stop collecting the manures till they get working properly again.

I tried to plant the last garlic today .. The first two inches of MM were light ,soft & fluffy then I had to chip out 5 inches of frozen stuff .. I know garlic likes a frost or two before it performs well but that was rediculous .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 2/7/2012, 9:02 pm

MT - last year was my first year with SFG boxes, and this is what I got in the melon department:

The SECOND 2 sugar baby watermelons from this vine!

The first 2 hung down in the exact same fashion. After picking them I thought that would be the end of melons for the season, but then I found these 2 and had to see if they would make it. They DID!

You are going to have a blast with SFG. Find your peat when you can to get started, then watch toward the end of the season for clearance sales because you will probably want to add more boxes for the second season. Can you say 'addictive'?Very Happy Around here - the 1/2 off end of season sales - I grab a few bags and save them for the next season. I have seen the 4 cu ft bags get down to $0.50 to get rid of them in August (we get frost in September).

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:13 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum