Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Store Bought Compost
by plantoid Today at 4:03 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Cajun Cappy Today at 4:02 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 2:34 pm

» Spaghetti Squash Recipes
by newbeone Today at 2:27 pm

» Double summer squash flower
by AlwaysHotinFL Today at 2:05 pm

» New England April 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:47 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:05 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:01 pm

» Japanese Beetle Grub Insecticide
by Zmoore Today at 1:01 pm

» garden ready need better weather
by bigblue94 Today at 12:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:48 pm

» Amaranth
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in April 2017?
by Kelejan Today at 12:34 pm

» Geezer's 17
by countrynaturals Today at 11:25 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Turan Today at 10:56 am

» N & C Midwest: April 2017!
by herblover Today at 10:36 am

» Compost for Mel's Mix
by TNGeezer Today at 10:12 am

» Hullo from SW Ohio
by TNGeezer Today at 10:05 am

» Hello from SE Michigan
by sanderson Today at 4:30 am

» Hello from Chino, CA (Zone 10a)
by sanderson Today at 4:21 am

» Please comment on the plant layout for 2017
by greenthumbtobe Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Sprouting seeds
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:44 pm

» My "Old Deck" Table Top Garden today
by nrstooge Yesterday at 7:15 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by MBroman Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:10 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:52 am

» Ants.
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:37 am

» to solarize, or not...I'm torn
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Old roots
by Scorpio Rising 4/25/2017, 9:10 pm

» Sub Irrigation Planter
by CitizenKate 4/25/2017, 8:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My First Seed Starting Kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  georgiahomegarden on 2/15/2012, 10:47 pm

I picked up an all in one kit today from Home Depot. This is my first time starting seeds. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on using these, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-first-seed-starting-kit.html
avatar
georgiahomegarden

Male Posts : 91
Join date : 2012-01-19
Location : Georgia

View user profile http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  TN_GARDENER on 2/16/2012, 7:03 am

You might need some supplemental light so they don't get leggy.

TN_GARDENER

Posts : 228
Join date : 2011-06-16
Location : TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  graficow on 2/16/2012, 8:18 am

I used them last year and I thought they made seed starting easy BUT

this year as Im preparing my garden Im pulling out all those pellets. They DO NOT

decompose in a years time. They have a stocking-like material holding them together.

Gee. wonder if I can use them again!!!!
avatar
graficow

Female Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-03-07
Age : 81
Location : Spring Hill,Florida zone 9b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  georgiahomegarden on 2/16/2012, 8:20 pm

@graficow wrote:I used them last year and I thought they made seed starting easy BUT

this year as Im preparing my garden Im pulling out all those pellets. They DO NOT

decompose in a years time. They have a stocking-like material holding them together.

Gee. wonder if I can use them again!!!!

I have heard others talk about that netting, but I think mine must be something different because I didn't really see any netting.
avatar
georgiahomegarden

Male Posts : 91
Join date : 2012-01-19
Location : Georgia

View user profile http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  georgiahomegarden on 2/16/2012, 8:21 pm

@TN_GARDENER wrote:You might need some supplemental light so they don't get leggy.

Do I have to use a supplemental light? I am on a tight budget this year. I was hoping I could just use window sill and then straight to garden. Is that doable?
avatar
georgiahomegarden

Male Posts : 91
Join date : 2012-01-19
Location : Georgia

View user profile http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  CindiLou on 2/16/2012, 9:19 pm

I never use the jiffy pellets anymore. The netting does not degrade...It will be in the soil for years! I replace them with peat pellets..more expensive but actually is biodegradable.
avatar
CindiLou

Posts : 999
Join date : 2010-08-30
Age : 57
Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  camprn on 2/17/2012, 6:47 am

If I happen to use pellet pots for my seedlings I will use a scissors to remove the netting when I transplant the wee plants into the garden. What a Face

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14107
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re:my First Seed Starting Kit

Post  tabletopper on 2/17/2012, 7:42 am

I use little newspaper pots I make ...they are biodegradable......sheets wrapped around a small tin can and masking tape.....I think I saw a video....on Garden Girl..........Ruth

tabletopper

Female Posts : 235
Join date : 2011-02-19
Age : 92
Location : Chula Vista,Ca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  TN_GARDENER on 2/17/2012, 10:43 am

@georgiahomegarden wrote:
@TN_GARDENER wrote:You might need some supplemental light so they don't get leggy.

Do I have to use a supplemental light? I am on a tight budget this year. I was hoping I could just use window sill and then straight to garden. Is that doable?

Probably so. Once the seeds sprout (lots of seeds will sprout without light, so you probably have another week or so).

Might be able to use something you already own. I have a couple of desk lamps and clamp lights from the garage that I use.

You can pick these sort of things up for about $2 at any home improvement store. Just plug em right in to an extension cord. Not perfect, but it's better than nothing (days are still fairly short in Feb). Just make sure use compact fluorescent bulbs. Incandescent bulbs can put off too much heat.




TN_GARDENER

Posts : 228
Join date : 2011-06-16
Location : TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  camprn on 2/17/2012, 5:11 pm

@TN_GARDENER wrote:
@georgiahomegarden wrote:
@TN_GARDENER wrote:You might need some supplemental light so they don't get leggy.

Do I have to use a supplemental light? I am on a tight budget this year. I was hoping I could just use window sill and then straight to garden. Is that doable?

Probably so. Once the seeds sprout (lots of seeds will sprout without light, so you probably have another week or so).

Might be able to use something you already own. I have a couple of desk lamps and clamp lights from the garage that I use.

You can pick these sort of things up for about $2 at any home improvement store. Just plug em right in to an extension cord. Not perfect, but it's better than nothing (days are still fairly short in Feb). Just make sure use compact fluorescent bulbs. Incandescent bulbs can put off too much heat.

Georgia Gardener, I bet at this time of year and in your neck of the woods you could probably use a cold frame or a hot bed.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14107
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Seed Starting Kit

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum