Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

by Kelejan Today at 9:44 am

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by CapeCoddess Today at 7:51 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans

Post  landarch on 2/17/2012, 2:16 am

Has anyone grown garbanzo or dark red kidney beans?

My family would acutally eat plenty of these (hummus, salads, chili, etc) if I could grow/ harvest/ store them.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans

Post  Lavender Debs on 2/17/2012, 1:26 pm

I grew black garbanzo's last year (the only one that I can grow in the PNW as far as I know). A cranberry bean too.

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Chickpeas, Garbanzo beans, Cicer arietinum

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 10/6/2016, 6:52 pm

As I was looking through Bakers Creek catalog online last year (winter 2015, before the 2016 catalog), I saw black chickpeas. "Fascinating... I must try to grow these," I thought. The 2016 catalog came out... minus the chickpeas. Cue internet searching and I found black kabouli chickpeas at:
www.saltspringseeds.com located at Salt Spring Island in Canada. :canada:

I ordered the chickpeas, zepplin delicata squash, Ugandan Bantu beans, bachelor's button, herba stella (=minutina =buck's-horn plantain, a cold-hardy green), and Swedish red peas. Ordering from over the border was a little harrowing for me. I didn't want to leave the seeds sitting in the freezing cold mailbox, but there was no tracking number. (Dan was patient with my worried emails and explained tracking was too expensive. And the financial state of the US Postal service means I don't feel I can say anything negative about how Canada or any other country does shipping/tracking!) My order arrived later than I expected, but it did arrive, with only a few crushed seeds, and I was able to retrieve it from my mailbox promptly. 

Here's a summary of my experience:

I humidified my chickpeas to pre-germinate them and carefully sowed them, rootlet down, with bacterial inocula that said it was suitable for chickpeas. I sowed some in my ANSFG, and some in my dirt, both at 4/sq. I sowed on May 2nd (which is about a week before average last frost in my area, but actual last frost was 4/24.) I think I could and should have sowed them sooner. Like black lettuce seeds, the dark color of these seeds is said to help them germinate in cool soil.

Although the plants in the ANSFG survived better (due to the end of the dirt section having poor drainage,) the yield per surviving plant was the same between the two. Next year I will try some at 9/sq. The plants were fairly short 10-16", and prone to leaning. They don't climb, but a surround of pea fencing might help contain them. I had no problems with insect pests, and nothing I recognized as a disease.

The young plants look rather like young multiflora rose plants (an invasive species in my area), but of course without the thorns.

The flowers are beautiful little maroon-colored things.

Each flower yields a green pod that houses 1 or two chickpeas.

I let my plants grow until they were dead/almost dead mid-August (17th - which is 108 days I think) and then cut them off at ground level (leaving the roots with their nitrogen fixing nodules to degrade/fertilize.) I took the plants off to the shade, and pulled off all the pods. I brought the pods inside and shucked the dried peas out while I watched TV. I bit tedious, and more difficult than dry soup peas, but not bad.

I should have harvested a little sooner because I few pods opened and were already germinating. I put them into my runty winter squash squares where they are now growing. I don't expect to get a second harvest, but I do hope to be able to determine how sensitive to frost the young plants are relative to figuring sowing time next year.

I admit, I haven't eaten any yet. My yield wasn't huge and I'll be saving some of what I harvested for planting next year. I think I have enough to try some hummus, and maybe a small batch of stew. They weren't very productive but I plan to grow them again next year because they get points for not needing to use the grow lights inside, and not having bug, mildew, or weather problems (i.e. like cracked tomatoes.)

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 456

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 on 10/6/2016, 8:54 pm

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about planting chick peas. I love to eat them. Also, fun fact: chick peas are great carbon sinks. They put carbon back into the earth and reverse the effects of climate change.

Mimi2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:36 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum