Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:38 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:35 am

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Yesterday at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2016, 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie 12/9/2016, 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

MY Lucky Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MY Lucky Day

Post  choksaw on 4/2/2010, 2:11 pm

OK i got the worm hilton built yesterday and decided i needed to find a supplier for my wiggly little pals so off on the search i went. Nothing nearby so i started a google search and clicking on links from the forum to find my supplier prices were roughly the same but shipping varried then i saw a post of somebody getting thier worms off ebay so i head smacked myself and decided to give it a shot found some decent prices $30 per lb with free shipping being the lowest, so i decided to start reading some feedbacks to make my decision when i refreshed the page about an hour after my original query there was anew listing with a top seller award i was like ok lets check this guy out he has something like 1527 feed back all at 100% so my decision was made i had found my supplier as i went back to the listing page never looking at the price befor hand mind you i did a triple take and my jaw they had 1lb of red wiggler worms listed at.....................................$3.00 per pound with free shipping i jumped on this and made my order figureing they screwed up and i was gonna benifit for it if not they would contact me for the correction and additional cost. low and behold i just looked at my email and yes they did contact me about the auction, but here is the kicker they realized after they made the post that they had screwed up on the listing price but since i was at the right place at the right time that they would honor my purchase and take the loss. Needless to say my grandfather thought i was nuts doing my little happy dance all around the house and outside in the garden My worms should arrive on Wed due to the holiday.

Was the first time in awhile that i didnt hesitate on a purchase and it paid off i always go by the old standard "if it looks too good to be true it probably isnt" but every now and then you just gotta take that chance. (still doing my little happy dance) lol

choksaw

Male Posts : 459

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MY Lucky Day

Post  Shoda on 4/2/2010, 2:39 pm

Terrific news. I totally understand. I was so excited about worm composting when I first started that I spent my birthday money to buy the worm bins and the worms. I could not wait! Good luck with them.

-- Lisa

Shoda

Female Posts : 439

View user profile http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt on 4/2/2010, 4:07 pm

Way to go! I think I paid about $12 for mine, but that was 16 years ago. Their descendants still thrive in my bins, so it was a great investment!

What bedding will you use?

junequilt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw on 4/2/2010, 4:18 pm

shredded newspaper and leaves will be used as bedding with lots of compost stuff on top of it we are already saveing for the banquit that the worms will get on thier arrival i have some already in the box i also added a bit of organic soil to help the worms digestive systems work better

choksaw

Male Posts : 459

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt on 4/2/2010, 4:32 pm

Spectacular! We feed ours all our fruit and vegetable garbage and keep a nice layer of wheat straw on top. It helps keep in moisture, which is important in the summer.

I'm hoping that we'll hitch up the utlility cart tomorrow and head out to pick up some nice horse hockey/stable litter for this year's bedding. I haven't yet removed the worms from their old bedding, but must get started soon or I'll run into a million hatchlings.

Just so you know, redworms do reproduce all year 'round, but mine always REALLY get going in the springtime. It's a lot easier to see -- and remove -- cocoons than practically microscopic hatchlings. Mid-April is about the deadline for me. I don't know what that translates into for your area.

Also, don't count on them migrating to the food-laden areas of your hilton. I know a lot of the literature says they should, but it doesn't always happen (of course, you'll never know why). Sometimes they'll just ignore the food and quietly mill about in the bedding.

junequilt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/2/2010, 5:04 pm

@choksaw wrote:1lb of red wiggler worms listed at...................................
..$3.00 per pound with free shipping. they had screwed up on the listing price but since i was at the right place at the right time that they would honor my purchase and take the loss.
SCORE!!! cheers

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum