Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 4:05 pm

by Scherml Today at 3:37 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 1:19 pm

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 12:43 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Today at 12:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 12:05 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 11:52 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:32 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:38 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Stop me before I do someting stupid

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stop me before I do someting stupid

Post  navajas on 2/20/2012, 5:32 pm

I was blabbing about compost in the Welcome forum and that's probably not the best place. I'll continue my ramblings below and if anything sticks out as especially stupid feel free to comment.

1) I have a plastic garbage can with years and years worth of plant matter in it. It started off as just a place to store clippings or leaves or branches or whatever before I took them to the dump or something. But then I thought, and we're talking seven or eight years ago, you know what dude? Some year you just might want to have a garden and those hippies are always talking about compost. Maybe you should just let this stuff stew for a bit.

This train of thought also appealed to me because it meant I had no more work to do that day except put the lid on and go watch football. Every time I've weeded the parking strip or had extra lavender bits left over or whatever (no kitchen or animal stuff, strictly outside plant materials) I've just squinted my eyes, opened up that lid plopped the new pile of stuff on top, figured THIS was the last time it'd ever fit, and then shoved and shoved, and climbed up and stomped and stomped, until I could get the lid back on. Seen Big Trouble in Little China? I call it my can of Black Blood of the Earth. Sometimes it bubbles. It probably weighs more than my house. I've got the garden this year and I'm thinking of using the Blood on it.

Stupid?

What about those weeds? I'm scared of dumping a bunch of fertilized weed seeds in my dirt so I was thinking of just excavating the Blood and only using the What Lurks Beneath near the bottom of the can.

Stupid?

2) Costco has a fancy double 50 gallon spinny compost thing. I'm pretty close to getting it. I was going to build this cool "Australian" thing to compost but that entails money for lumber and time to build and work to turn. Also, the boys would get a kick out of spinning them around.

Stupid?

3) Whatever I end up doing for compost (we've just used one of my five 4 x 8s in the mean time) I'm planning on chucking the not insignificant amount of deer poop on my acre right into it.

Stupid?

I think that about does it, though my past indicates I may very well do some more stupid things soon. I'll let you know.

navajas

Male Posts : 39

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop me before I do someting stupid

Post  martha on 2/20/2012, 5:42 pm

I'm laughing, but with you, not at you!

So, please clarify....is this thing full of rain water, as well as old stuff? Does it stink?

Deer poop should be fine in your compost. I imagine you want to let it age, as is true for other poops one uses in one's garden (except worm poop, which is good to go right away of course. Good thing - I used to have horses, and am pretty good at wielding a pitchfork, but I can't imagine how tiny the fork would have to be for worms!)

For more deer poop info, see

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t6207-deer-poop-in-compost

I don't think it's stupid to buy a composter. For those who enjoy buying the parts, and assembling the parts, then great. But I know I'm not one of those!

So, more details please on this trash can full of stuff!

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  navajas on 2/20/2012, 6:06 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Occasionally, especially after it has just been crammed with more material than it should hold, and the lid just doesn't quite fit, one of our big winds will come up and blow the lid away. Then it rains on it. That was my last visual memory of the contents: Gently burping up a bubble or two before I trapped it under the lid once again.

After typing out the above I was ordered by the wife to do a mouse sweep (we have an extremely productive cat) because we have friends coming over and it's not conisdered polite for them to have to tip toe through a mine field of rodent guts. The Black Blood of the Earth is right next to the garbage so I had a look. I think it must have finally broken out the bottom of the can because it's down to about 3/4 full again but there's no water to speak of. Maybe it used all the water to make its goop? It's got some long grasses laying on the top, but mostly it looks like a brownish/black paste and pretty darn bored.

No, it doesn't "stink". And by that I mean, I have an amazing sense of smell. As in, I smell things no one else does, they laugh, and then I prove it. It doesn't 'wreak' as I would expect proper rotting stuff should. Like mouse guts. I mean, I'm not in love with the stuff, I'm not going to bottle it and rub it into my armpits before date night, but it's just a sort of mellow nondescript Earthy smell.

navajas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 2/20/2012, 7:51 pm

Sounds like compost to me. Maybe a bit wet if it is a paste, but i'll bet it will grow some veggies after drying out a bit and mixed with peat and vermiculite.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 2/20/2012, 9:02 pm

@walshevak wrote:Sounds like compost to me.

Yes, it does!

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart on 2/21/2012, 11:13 am

sounds ok as long as its not slime. maybe even try pouring it out to mix and see what you really have in there

newstart

Female Posts : 335

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  navajas on 2/21/2012, 6:01 pm

So in driving around town today I shopped out a few different compost products to amend / enhance my my dirt after my confidence was beaten out of me with the forum's MM yard stick. I figure I have horse and cow poop covered and I have my can of Black Blood of the Earth. I'll start collecting deer marbles and add them in after they've had a ride in the compost bins for a while.

Now given my pretty good results last year I'm not overly concerned but I might as well hedge my bets, so I figure I'll dump a bag or two of different stuffs on top of each box and mix it in. Might even add a bag of vermiculite or perlite or whatever. Anyway, I was offered five bags of Gardner and Bloome Harvest Supreme for $8 a piece. It's from last year and she wanted to get rid of it. Has 15% chicken poop and some bat crap as well. That seems to fit the bill though the 2 cu ft. bags felt kind of light which to me might mean a lot of filler.

Another option in the area is E.B. Stone Organics, but there is little indication of exactly what's in it besides a list of ingredients in order of weight; Wood products, redwood sawdust, fir bark, mushroom compost, chicken manure, kelp meal, alfalfa and bat poo.

I also found some pretty dang cheap bags of just pure chicken manure compost. It's local and only $3.50 a 1cu ft. bag.

What do you think? The big bag of mixed stuffs, or just go cheaper and get the pure chicken gunk? I think I could justify one of the big bags of mix and one bag of chicken poop per box. Would be about $60. That's before I even consider vermiculite/perlite which as far as I can tell is only sold per bag and is very, very expensive ($20/2cu ft.). :-/

If I had to choose, what do you think is more important, substrate like the vermiculite or amending my compost with extra stuff?

navajas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 2/21/2012, 6:54 pm

I would definitely snatch up the chicken poop at that price.

Vermiculite is expensive (and the price has been rising!) but you only have to add it once.

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 2/21/2012, 7:15 pm

If that is the Garden and Bloom soil amendment and not the potting soil, grab it too. The more you are able to "mix it up" the more likely you will have a good growing medium. And remember, even after you have made the initial 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 mix you are still going to need a supply of the blended compost to replenish your squares when replanting. It might take a while to make another can full of black blood of the earth which sounds like a good addition to the blend. The E. B. Stone stuff sounds pretty good too.

I also "top dress" long season plants. IE when I realized my chard and kale were still going good at the end of summer and could keep on through the early winter, I gave them some extra compost to "eat".

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  navajas on 2/21/2012, 8:47 pm