Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by llama momma Today at 6:18 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by llama momma Today at 5:28 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 5:18 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Toy Box 3 (the charm)

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Toy Box 3 (the charm)

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/14/2012, 12:52 am

YIKES Rose! No, we just got rain that came down hard like hail....but it was just serious rain. Did you lose anything to the hail?

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 7/14/2012, 2:21 am

not sure of any damage yet......hoping not....it hailed hard for about five min or so What a Face .....we are still having thunder and lightning at 11pm...the family has been sitting out watching it.....its amazing.....havent seen a storm like this in a long time.... cyclops

pic of the hail

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/14/2012, 9:28 am

Hail gives me the heeby-jeebies. So sorry and hoping that everything bounces back quickly.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/16/2012, 1:50 pm

I guess I best put broccoli on the menu tonight or tomorrow I will have a bouquet. This one happens to be Nutri-bud. You can also see garbanzo beans, Italian Kale, and fennel.

Oh my, what is wrong with that tomato? (Gold Nugget)

I think something is happening here. That is Painted Mountain corn. None of the sweet corn is showing yellow. I guess I should look into that......after a quick look-see it seems that it could be genetic OR a lack of either sulfur or potassium OR excess soil acid. Hope those are all easy fixes.

I'm thinking there will be green beans in the near future. These are Royal Burgundy bush beans.
Days like today make me wish we still lived in the mountains. It isn't that hot but being so close to the bay it is crazy-humid. 72/59 and we still need to be on alert for Thunderstorms.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/23/2012, 10:20 am

Even in the cold wet of Everett I am still able to cook from what is fresh from the garden. No tomatoes or peppers but I am still eating well.

Even without a green house or poly cover I still got A tomato. You can get a preview of my tomato tuesday post on my blog if you want to. It is the first tomato tasting of 2012.

Tomato Tasting 2012 "Gold Nugget"

Herb blossoms drying on cookie racks (I had hoped it would be to hot to bake) Far to the south there was a hurricane. That hurricane is no more BUT before it died it threw a blast of cold, lightening powered rain up the spine of the Cascades (it is rare to have the same weather hit both sides of the state at the same time). One more day of cold wet (the sun will come out tomorrow, or so the song goes). 61/52 (that is not a typo!) with winds still coming from the SSW (that usually warms us up). Overcast, 50% chance of rain. Sun rise at 5:34...15 hours and 21 minutes later, sunset at 8:55. I am already missing late walks with the dogs.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/23/2012, 10:44 am

We must have similar weather, we had the most horrible storm last night, trees down, hail, fortunately it seems it only hailed briefly. I do not see much damage in the garden, and oddly enough after all that rain, my compost is STILL at 140...

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/25/2012, 10:06 pm

At least there is plenty to eat. No peppers (how do the rest of you do it?) and precious few tomatoes, but the beans are coming in!

It is finally warmer than room temp outside! Yeah. 75/57; no chance of rain (today) Sunrise 5:37 Sunset 8:52

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/25/2012, 10:28 pm

Debs, my beans have just started to come in as well.
We seem to have warmer days at least the past few weeks have been very hot here, into the 80s and 90s. This week is cooler.
I have peppers, but only in my non mm bed. my MM bed has peppers that are doing nothing.
I have been adding worm castings from my worm hotel to the tomatoes and peppers to try to get them growing.
Perhaps try adding some compost to your peppers??

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/25/2012, 10:32 pm

It may be too late for my peppers but I'll give it a shot. That is a brand new bed of mm with 5 different comercial compost. I HATE comercial compost. It is never as good as home-grown.

I have another brussels sprout in the garden with the cabbage. It is just limping along, but was started the same day as the one in the dirt. gurrrrrr

Debs....thanking you for the encouragement!

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/25/2012, 10:42 pm

You know Debs, I did the same with 5 types of different commercial composts and all of my beds required something more.
Between my own compost and the worm castings from my worms, I think things started to get better.
I also bought some fish fertilizer, which gives the plants a rapid form of nutrients.
Give it a try, if they are not ripe before the first frost you can always bring them indoors in large buckets ....(like vases) they ripen on the vine

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/26/2012, 12:44 am

With Ray not working this year we put in extra boxes while we still had the cash to do it. I swore I would never use commercial compost again but of course I didn't have enough to fill all those boxes and buckets. I do have fish emulsion and water from Ray's fish tank. It was too wet for extra water but I should be good to go this week! As soon as the summer semester is over the Green house will go up. Maybe that will help.

Debs.....thankful for GWN!

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 7/26/2012, 1:01 am

thanks again for a great video Debs!!....the kids and i really enjoyed watching and listening to the nuggets while you were showing us your garden.....my son wants to know if sometime you could do a video on the nuggets Very Happy we were able to get just a quick look at them in this video and with the sounds they were making he is very excited to see your chickens Very Happy he also thinks its just to funny you are growing a Cinderella pumpkin Laughing he is 6 years old and is really loving gardening and loves to watch the garden video's and view the pictures everyone puts up....

we think your little baby corn hair is so sweet.....we all went ...ahhhh...when you showed us sunny

as far as the peppers go.....we are growing ours in our small green house....we did move two of them out to the patio just so we can compare how they do with the ones in the green house......

hugs
rose and kids!

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/26/2012, 9:54 am

Awwww, thanks Rose! I got silly excited when I saw that baby bunting of an ear of corn. Thanks for mentioning it.

I did put up a video about the housing I use for the nuggets that featured them in a thread with a title something like To Those of You Who Have Chickens. If you did not see it, here it is. (I was trying to hurry and did not take any time to edit sooooo)

Debs.....who listens to the girls so much that I don't notice their song on a video until someone mentions it.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 7/26/2012, 1:19 pm

awww thank you debs!

my little guy is still sleeping this morning but he will be thrilled!

hugs
rose who is off to find that chicken thread Very Happy

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 7/26/2012, 2:17 pm

Debs, thank you for posting that video tour of your coop and tractor. Really enjoyed it.

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 7/27/2012, 1:09 am

thank you so much Debs!....my son just watched the video and loved it!

he wants to ask you how long does it take your chickens to lay an egg and sit on it?.....and.....why is your dog's name bomber Very Happy .....he has two dogs named after superman and batmans dogs.....so he is curious if there is a meaning behind bombers name Very Happy he thinks bomber is pretty cute watching those chickens.....his dogs go after our Squirrels that tease them....LOL

hugs
rose and son

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/27/2012, 1:18 am

he wants to ask you how long does it take your chickens to lay an egg and sit on it?.....and.....why is your dog's name bomber .....he has two dogs named after superman and batmans dogs.....so he is curious if there is a meaning behind bombers name he thinks bomber is pretty cute watching those chickens.....his dogs go after our Squirrels that tease them....LOL
Curiouser courious......I think we are all wondering what the story around bombers name is.
Rose, what a great son you have searching for a superman/batman story Smile

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/27/2012, 9:33 am

How long does it take your chickens to lay an egg and sit on it?
For the egg to be dropped from the chickens body takes just a moment. Once when Lil'bit was in the tractor, looking distressed, she spent about 45 seconds looking for a good place until she could wait no longer. Using a stressed chicken voice, she stopped near a soft place in the soil, made a noise that sounded like, "Ohhhhh, ohhhhhh, ohhhhh" and gently dropped a giant double yolked egg. It takes about 24 hours for the egg to develop "in" the hen and just a moment for it to come out. Usually the girls are very good about only laying their eggs in the nest but poor Lil'bit was stuck in the tractor that day. I appoligized.
"......and to sit on it?"
My girls were one year old on Easter. So far Miss Purdy is the only one who has wanted to sit on her eggs. She is about 1 and 1/4 years old. I am told that this urge lasts about 30 days. We do not have a rooster because we live in the city so there are no chicks in her eggs.

Bomber's Name
When Bomber came to us he already had a name. We do not know much about the first family that he lived with but we are sure they were kind because he is kind in a rambunctious way. For some reason they brought home a cute little puppy who just had too much energy for them.

His next family lived on Whidbey Island. The man who gave him his name was a Navy Fighter Pilot. That family expected to be his forever home. Jack Russels have LOTS of energy. They do not ask much of their people but they need a few things, a scratch behind their ears, a dish of food, a bowl of water and time to go for walks and play....EVERYDAY. The mom of the family ran a daycare for Navy families. When dad was away she tried to give Bomber lots of play time but she was very busy with her daycare. She did not know that when Bomber pops his jaws at someone he is not being mean, as if he wants to bite, he is saying that he wants a taste of whatever it is you are eating. With all those children in her house she did not have time to learn this about him. One thing Bomber cannot tolerate is hitting. He has never bit anyone but if someone hits someone else he gets distressed, puts himself between them, bark-growls frantically and seems like he is ready to take a side in the fight. No play fighting is something we are very careful about, not even patting each other playfully. It is the one thing that will set him off. At the daycare children hit each other all the time so Bomber had to spend most of his time in a crate. The family started looking for a new home for Bomber before they were transfered. It had to be a home without children (so they thought, he is actually very good with children).

We are his third and last home. We love him and Rudy Valentine very much.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/27/2012, 11:05 am

WOW what a great story
I would bet that rudy valentine also has a story....

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/27/2012, 11:34 am

Rudy doesn't have nearly the story that Bomber has. He was a Valentine gift from my husband. At 3ish lbs when we brought him home (now he is all of 12 lbs) he was just too small for a big name like Rudolph Valentino BUT he is still a world class lover.......just far more loyal than his name-sake.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/27/2012, 11:45 am

just far more loyal than his name-sake.
lol! He is very very cute...

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Corn Rail

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/28/2012, 1:16 am

Ray put this up today. For just a moment I thought a corn rail was some kind of bird. Duh, it is a CORN rail. We are debating about making it shorter. We thought we would wait a couple of weeks to see if the corn gets much taller before we decide. It has been 20 years since we grew corn and we just cannot remember how much it grows. Now I need to find some old posts that tell how to pollinate such a small stand of corn. I'm so stoked!

Debs.....enjoying the opening of the Olympics
The branch of Yellow Transparents need to be picked and baked. Muggy, overcast day but no rain. More of the same tomorrow. 68/55. The Thunder Moon (Av) is coming into its 2nd quarter. Sunrise at 5:39, Sunset at 8:50

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/28/2012, 9:56 am

I need to build one of those for my beans..... A bean rail?

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/28/2012, 10:31 am

Bush beans GWN?

I don't have an actual picture of my "bean rail" but after looking for a spell I found one in a picture. See the black curved lines? I pick up little fence pieces used for boarders for less than a dollar each (more for the cute ones but the cuteness is soon hidden by foliage). They are about 18 inches long (maybe 15?) and press into the soil the same way a tomato cage does. I use a wooden grid (they are not permanent and can be moved) and the little fence pieces fit right over the grid and even balance against it. They keep my beans from taking over neighboring squares. Easy to lift out and put away in the off season. If you are growing pole beans they won't help and you will need adult tinker toys after all.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/28/2012, 10:48 am

If you are growing pole beans they won't help and you will need adult tinker toys after all.
The problem is that I am not totally sure what all is in there.
I planted black turtle beans and then ran out and went into a cupboard and got out a container of dried beans my MIL gave to me a few years ago to make bean soup
There is a whole mixture of colours and shapes, so who knows what they are, but they all sprouted.
I just thought I would put little ropes around them as they climb
Since they are for drying, it does not matter if I can get into there to pick beans, it is 4x4 for dried beans.

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:28 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum