Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:35 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

by sanderson Today at 2:30 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Toy Box 3 (the charm)

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Toy Box 3 (the charm)

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/5/2012, 12:49 am

Aww, Rose you bless me with a smile. I try to be kewl about it but I do LOVE knowing you enjoyed my home-spun show. That was funny about your son ....maybe I can learn to love barking dogs.

This was my first year to EVER plant or try Celeriac. I wish I had planted more! I do not remember if I did 3 or 4 in a square. During the summer I kept snatching branches and using them like fresh ribs of celery in everything except vegetable platters. Before it got cold the branches were a lot longer. They were like the outer ribs of celery but a little less bitter. The stems were sort of hollow and stringy but chopped up, they worked in vegetable salads like potato. They went into soups and were stuffed into chicken and turkey cavities. I do not think I bought celery all summer long.

As good as the stalks were, the root was better. They have a hint of celery but are much more nutty tasting (now that I think about it, I only tried them cooked, now I have to wait all summer into fall to try one raw)

I do not think your fava beans are late. I started 3 squares last November that are up already BUT I am going to start a few more squares in the middle of the month.

Again... thanks so much for your kind comments and for the giggle!

Debs.... ready to dream in shades of green (and getting too sleepy to find a good pic)

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 3/5/2012, 1:00 am

I have been wanting to plant celeriac. I have a great recipe that I got from my french teacher. It is a salad with shredded celeriac as the main ingredient. I do not have it handy but will post if I find it.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/5/2012, 1:10 am

Thanks Chopper! I would love it......but no rush, the next celeric will not be ready until September. But I will have one with your name in french!

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 3/5/2012, 1:52 am

Debs...i forgot to ask when do you plant the celeric?

do you direct seed them or do you start them indoors and if so when? Very Happy

hugs

rose...who found some seeds online Smile

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 3/5/2012, 1:58 am

Maybe Celeriac would be a good rookie topic?

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/5/2012, 9:31 am

I just took a stroll down memory lane. On page 7 of The Toy Box (the return) there is a picture of a tray of dirt (soil blocks). Celeriac is listed as being one of the seeds hidden in that tray on May 18.

August 16, 2011

I am sure I'll start them earlier than that this year, probably mid to late April. BTW celeriac is easy-peasy (if the slugs do not get to it). In my case, drop tiny seed into soil blocks, cover with fine vermiculite (I keep a bag of super fine V just for this reason) and keep the blocks moist (spray with a mister most days). The seed sprouts and stays happy in the block (slow grower)

The little babies were content with neglect while they were still in the soil blocker. If the block got too dry for the brassica they would pout and get all droopy. Not so with the celeriac. My thoughts on this was that finer stems (at the seedling stage) and small parsley like leaves made her more drought tolerant than the seedling tray mates growing with her.

At transplant time the celeriac was patient. She did not push rootlets through her block demanding to be planted right away. Whenever I was ready was fine with her. It was just plain weird setting soil blocks of celeriac into the box. Scratch open a hole, set the block into the hole and press the soil snuggly against the block. No rootlets to fuss about. Four to a square turned out to be a good guess. During early summer I forgot she existed. Huge cauliflower leaves grew over the celeriac. Never mind, she was fine with it. A tangle of late bush beans wanted her space in late summer. She did not seem to mind. I kept clipping her best stems for my kitchen. No big deal, more where those came from. Killing frosts came and went but she kept growing (or at least living)

Than to find out how yummy she is! I am doing celery trials this summer but if celery is as picky and bitter as so many are posting I will abandon it in a Toy-Box-minute and just grow celeriac. (hope that helps)

Debs ...who thinks a rookie topic on what to do with it after the harvest is needed (besides soup...thanks chopper for recognizing my need)

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 3/5/2012, 11:50 am

Ok Deb..to look like a complete newbie..What is celeriac? I have seen the seeds, just dont know anyone that has ever planted it.

**mutters....prob be something I will "have" to try..jeez i think I should just have a box to experiment with "new" things lol..HUBBY!!!!! I need you!

CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/5/2012, 12:30 pm

@CindiLou wrote:...snip..What is celeriac? I have seen the seeds, just dont know anyone that has ever planted it.

**mutters....prob be something I will "have" to try..jeez i think I should just have a box to experiment with "new" things lol..HUBBY!!!!! I need you!

The good news is that you can try this one in just one square. Celeriac or celery root is not celery, but is a close cousin. I was able to clip the stalks to use like celery in stocks and salads but not as sticks on a veggie tray. (in summer they are much longer than this picture, harvested after a few hard freezes) It is grown for its ugly but nutty good root. Everyone says it is good to puree and they are right but I like it chunked in soup (that is all I have tried it in so far). Chopper has me hoping for something more.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/5/2012, 1:03 pm

Ray and I have some timing. Yesterday (March 4) Ray put a rain bonnet on the box we plant our early spring vegetables in so that they might stay a little bit dryer and be a little warmer. We have done this before. Last year I put up a poly-tent (I like the way my trellis is so multipurpose). It looks red-neck but worked like a charm. Jason fabricated a door for the front. Ray and I KNEW that if Jason could do it, so could we. Not so much.

We gave up, thinking we would get back to it today (after talking to Jason). At least it would keep the rain out. If we had rain, I am confident that the rain would have stayed out. Instead we had wild wind. Red-neck spring central is still standing, a little worse for wear but standing none the less. Blew the side doors open but they are still attached. Yea!!!

Debs....ready to plant those greens!

In your face wind, bringing freezing nights. 48/30 (yikes!) Rain with snow breaks 90%. Make more soup. (11 hours, 19 minutes of daylight)

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 3/5/2012, 1:12 pm

@Lavender Debs wrote:

The good news is that you can try this one in just one square. Celeriac or celery root is not celery, but is a close cousin. I was able to clip the stalks to use like celery in stocks and salads but not as sticks on a veggie tray. (in summer they are much longer than this picture, harvested after a few hard freezes) It is grown for its ugly but nutty good root. Everyone says it is good to puree and they are right but I like it chunked in soup (that is all I have tried it in so far). Chopper has me hoping for something more.

thank you..yup told hubby gonna try it...I love celery in soups. and maybe it works in potato salad?

Will get seeds and experiment..definitely need more beds lol...

have 2 4x4, 2 2x4, and a 4x6 (full of garlic at the moment..use for fall garden)
and putting in 2 more 4x6s this spring... not enough! and I am supposed to be an empty-nester

The kids live in apts and want their gardens here lol..

CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 3/5/2012, 6:37 pm

Lavender Debs, Love those Rain Bonnets. They certainly get the job done.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Singing in the rain

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/15/2012, 1:32 pm

I'm singing in the rain

Just when I was feeling content that un-sprouted tomato blocks means that I do not have to find sun for them, they go and poke their little selves out of the soil. Representatives from every seed pack from 2010 to 2012 are coming up strong.

So I wonder to myself, what is happening with the rest of the sprout world in the Toy Box?

More greens in the green-closet. Future hope for Four Seasons and Loila Rossa lettuces, Valentine Mix lettuce, Italian and Chinese kales, Ruby Streaks mustard (nothing showing yet), Mixed Kohlrabi, Spinach (look close) and Mixed Asian greens

The brassica have been on hold. Started in mid February, they sprouted when there was snow. You can probably see that they got leggy inside. The Flat has been out in the green-closet for about 3 weeks now. Not much happening. Lucky for me I dropped in more seed than I meant to so I can snip off the really tall babies. There are Thompsons broccoli (the OP that produced 9-inch heads last year), Sunset Cauliflower, Mixed purple, white and green cauliflower, Purple Peacock broccoli-kale mix and I don't remember what else. Maybe Red Russian Kale?

Those are snap peas (Cascada) cracking the surface of the block and fixen to push their way up.

Under the rain bonnet where INCHES of rain per day does not drown sprouts.... Red spinach and different lettuces (started late January)

Winter Sown....

Is it nutty to get excited about artichokes? These are sprouts from two year old seed. Two year old artichoke seed isn't supposed to sprout. I put all that was left of last years seed into this container, said a prayer (l'chiam) and left it alone. Looks like three sprouts. Last year a windstorm destroyed all my early sprouts, winter-sown and everything else. These are in a cold frame. Maybe this year? I also have abundant winter-sown chamomile. No sign of life in the parsley or echinacceca containers.

Rain pounding on the roof is like a lullaby, I want a blanket and a nap. There will be rain for a week or so, wind too. High temp, 50-54, low about 39*F. Almost an inch of rain daily. I'm gaining weight trying to keep my attitude good. Sunrise 7:20, sunset 7:15 for 11 hours and 55 minutes of daytime.

Oh, I forgot, this is sitting in the garage.

Debs..... thinking about braving the pelting rain one more time to get the stuff for caramelized leeks and kale with feta on rice.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 3/15/2012, 3:45 pm

LavenderDebs wrote: on March 11th: OH, one more thing, He found a greenhouse at harbor freight he wants to take a look at and bring home if we both like it (him for aquaponics, me for this crazy obsession of mine)

LavenderDebs wrote:then Today: Oh, I forgot, this is sitting in the garage.

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize

Sure, you forgot. Very Happy You just wanted to tease us about your new present.

Very, Very Happy for You.

Furbalsmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 3/15/2012, 5:17 pm

I wanna see more pics on the forgotten item Very Happy

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/15/2012, 7:34 pm

nKedrOoStEr wrote:I wanna see more pics on the forgotten item

I have a feeling that this is it until July. We had a thing going on Facebook for about an hour (that’s a long time on FB) because there is garlic and Fava beans growing where the green house will go. We have to take out two boxes that were planted last November. Everyone except Ray and I, want the beans and garlic ripped out. I say that they just don’t get what it’s like on this crazy train. Rip out something that survived the winter? For a building? Pshaw!

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 3/15/2012, 8:06 pm

As much as I would be anxious to put up a new greenhouse, I would have a problem pulling out November plantings when those can be harvested before too long (except I have table tops so mine could be moved as long as I had a football team handy Laughing )

Sorry you can't play with your new toy yet.Sad At least you have time to plan the shelving, ventilation, water and all.

Furbalsmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker on 3/16/2012, 7:25 am

@Lavender Debs wrote:...Everyone except Ray and I, want the beans and garlic ripped out. I say that they just don’t get what it’s like on this crazy train. Rip out something that survived the winter? For a building? Pshaw!
Only a "Pshaw!" You're being too nice and accommodating to "Everyone"! How 'bout

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/16/2012, 7:59 am

That’s funny W.P "everyone" does not have a full back yard of SFG's and chickens. Most of them have never tasted a fava bean and still get shallots and scallions mixed up. All of everyone still buys garlic at the store and often get it dehydrated and mixed with salt. I chose to be gentle. I’m not sure what any of them would do with a greenhouse except grow an exotic or three.

Maybe I’ll make a dish incorporating all three of those on greenhouse raising day and invite over some labor.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker on 3/16/2012, 11:39 am

@Lavender Debs wrote:... invite over some labor.
The kind that works for cookies, right?

Windsor.Parker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/16/2012, 12:02 pm

@Windsor.Parker wrote:
@Lavender Debs wrote:... invite over some labor.
The kind that works for cookies, right?

Are you putting in your application? (cause have I ever got the jobs lined up for you.... I'll toss in Fava bean salad and kale pizza cooked on the grill. (too early in the PNW for basil and tomato.

Debs ....whose "m" key is quitting…had to pause and figure out what a toato is.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 3/16/2012, 12:47 pm

I enjoy this thread. Makes waiting on spring possible in the great northeast.

Love your new greenhouse but I, too, would wait for those struggling babies to grow and harvest before putting up the greenhouse. After all, you've made it this long without it. Maybe you'll have it ready for fall and winter sowing. Enjoy.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/16/2012, 12:53 pm

@quiltbea wrote: ...snip... After all, you've made it this long without it. Maybe you'll have it ready for fall and winter sowing. Enjoy.

Statements like this are the tells. The difference between farmer-gardeners and people with hobbies. Thanks Bea!

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/17/2012, 1:21 pm

Whoops

That pic I posted of the pea seed cracking its way through the top of a soil block? It was not a pea seed.

After it came up it just did not look right. Turns out it is one of the Black Garbanzo Bean sprouts. Always good to check the Label.

This is a Pea Sprout, under the rain bonnet. Cascaida Sugar Snap.

Debs .....looking a bit iffy for getting potatoes planted, weather and busy holiday weekend.

The infamous Fava Bean smack-dab in the way of Greenhouse construction. Chunky rain all weekend (and plenty of it) 43-46/34*F Twelve hours and 2 minutes daylight from sunrise at 7:16 to sunset at 7:18. New moon. The Good News? La Nina is said to be losing her grip on us, Best guess is that she has another 10 days rather than most of the summer like last year. Fingers crossed.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker on 3/18/2012, 8:02 pm

@Lavender Debs wrote:...Are you putting in your application? (cause have I ever got the jobs lined up for you.... I'll toss in Fava bean salad and kale pizza cooked on the grill. (too early in the PNW for basil and tomato...
Salad , pizza, cookies (all specially made)...
COUNT ME IN!

Windsor.Parker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/19/2012, 4:25 pm

Birthday Shopping (I had Vermiculite already, and we did get peat at Lowes)

I am busy baking WP!!

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:35 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum