Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG eBook review

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SFG eBook review

Post  jamesindetroit on 2/21/2012, 10:50 pm

Hmmmm. I would love to read the book. However, I was reluctant to purchase it for the very reason that I wasn't sure that I was disappointed with my previous results, which were a somewhat floppy first attempt. And, I wasn't very interested in reading what I anticipated to be material I have previously covered. Whether it be SFG Forums, Garden Blogs, or the helpful old lady at the local big box garden spot, I am always going to be critical of the information I am ingesting, and weigh it against what I know, or have previously experienced.

As a part-time book reviewer for several large publishing houses, I would say that the review itself may have been strongly worded, but those are the exact kinds of reviews publishers want. They actually will give you the book for free to provide a critical review. These are also the reviews I look for on Amazon before purchasing a book. The review itself illicits three reactions,

1) Man, this guy is really hammering this dude's book. I think I'll buy it.
2) Man, this book must really stink, I think I'll find out for myself.
3) Whew, Boffer just saved me $6, I'm glad he was thoughtful enough to review it.

Trust me, I am nobody's fan-boy. Sorry Boffer, that includes you as well! And I surely am disappointed that constructive criticism often gets up people's noses. But if we cannot be straight forward about our perceptions of things, especially a published work, that will warrant reviews, positive or negative, then we are doing nobody a favor.

As a writer, I would appreciate a review like this one. Negative reviews are the ones I look for. There are too many "yes men" assenting to their favorite speakers, writers, and as seen on TV fly boys writing favorable reviews. Snibb, I would encourage you to accept the review as a compliment. Although you may have felt it was biased or not in your favor,

At least you are selling books.

jamesindetroit

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 125

View user profile http://www.deliverdetroit.com

Back to top Go down

e-book review

Post  littlejo on 2/21/2012, 11:27 pm

This forum has taught me that we all have opinions, which we all express, sometimes strongly. I would probably be perturbed, if I bought this e-book, thinking that I would learn a couple reasons that could maybe help my garden, only to find out it was covered in the ANSFG book or on this forum.

I can think of a couple folks that should buy it, but, they did not comprehend the ANSFG book, they would not comprehend the e-book either!

I don't go to the foundation website so did not know about the book. I decided that I would buy the e-book, and either agree or disagree with boffer. Well, the foundation has the purchase button in a pop-up. My computer is set to not allow pop-ups. I guess I'll have to hold off on the 2nd review.

Jo Ann

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 2/22/2012, 12:22 am

This book was already written by an author accepted by Mel and Victoria.

We spend lots of time supporting fellow gardeners on this forum. This book author is a fellow gardener and certainly deserved the same treatment.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing. But there is certainly a method of wording that counts! I read it and immediately felt empathy for the book author. This fellow is one of us and didn't deserve that treatment.

The critical writer came across to me as cold, and annoyingly authoritative. AHA! Now if I change that and say instead, Btw do you think that "cold" and "annoyingly authoritative" are pretty strong words? Is this incorrect in describing you? Well, now I'm alligned with you in solving a problem. It's just easier to swallow this finer tuned criticism. The point is the critical writer could have simply asked questions and avoided much fallout...

Finally, Yes, it takes more Effort, Kindness, and Sensitivity to ask questions. But you can be sure it makes A Big World of Difference in peaceful human relations.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4632

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yus on 2/22/2012, 2:29 am

Hi folks! I've been lurking on your forum for months and really enjoy it. Of all the threads I've read, I can't believe this is the one that spurred me to join and take the scary plunge of posting. I just wanted to say that from an outsiders point of view it looks like some of you have an agenda. Your either on a witchhunt for Boffers head, or your trying to gin up controversy to sell more books. There just isn't anything in Boffers review to warrant such a todo. He didn't write anything personal or even say that the book was bad. He said that some forum members, and he defined them, wouldn't learn anything. If that is objectionable ont he forum I guess I'll turnaround and leave because thats just plain silly.

Yus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 2/22/2012, 4:32 am

If everyone left their forums because something silly or unwarranted happened all the forums on the net would be empty! LOL. It's the nature of the beast. This too shall pass. Laughing

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 2/22/2012, 6:41 am

YUS! to the SFG Forum! It's nice to know folks are lurking and getting to know SFG. Have you had a chance to read the All New Square Foot Gardening book yet? Do you have a garden? Are you going to build a garden?Introduce yourself in the introductions forum. I'm looking forward to having you here!

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  januaryX on 2/22/2012, 8:10 am

barefoot wrote:Well, maybe I missed something here. I have only been a member for a few months, and don't post much cause I don't know anyone. I also read everything before I started here. One thing I notice in this thread is who is Victoria? I thought nkedrooster was the boss here? Who is Victoria? Is she the real boss? Funny maybe I missed something but I never seen her around here before. Don't seem very good to me to have one boss show up every day and take care of the people and then for another boss to come in and eat the donuts. I think that not a good situation for showing respect.

Very good point. Are you sure it's not barefoot, M.B.A.? Razz

januaryX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

On the nature of book reviews in general

Post  tomperrin on 2/22/2012, 8:51 am

Based on a fair amount of personal experience in publishing, few authors are happy with less than a 24 hour standing ovation for at least a year after the book is published. We just have too much time and emotion tied up in the pages. I once published a fair, albeit ever so slightly negative review of a book. The author confronted me at a conference and tearfully took me to task for what we had published. She also went on to see a million copies or so of her book sold. I still don't like her book so much, but I will not argue with her success, which speaks a lot more powerfully than our review.

In most fields, any new book is probably derivative in some way. It stands on the shoulders of those written before it. The one exception with which I have any personal experience is ANSFG. Mel's book departs so radically from the norm, is so complete, and is so experiential based, that the rest of us mere mortals are reduced to nibbling around the edges. Anything we say or write about SFG is going to be derivative to some extent, at best supplementary. But I don't think that detracts one wit from the value of writing which complements or reinforces the messages in ANSFG while at the same time presenting a slightly different perspective of the whole. If one new square is created, planted, and harvested as a result, it's worth the effort, methinks.

Tom

tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 2/22/2012, 9:48 am

The strongest concept driving this forum is the spirit of helping one another. When one person uses this forum to (seemingly again) make sport of controversy, then I believe (again) this thread is not the right place for it.

There is a higher level of communication on this forum. It's about supporting, learning, giving back, and enjoying each other’s efforts and failures. There is nothing hard about this concept.

If a self designated book reviewer didn't like some parts of the book they had other responsible places to post. They could take it to Mel or Victoria. Or they could have posted a review of the book on the website, exactly the way I reviewed Mel's book on the website. That is the proper place in public to respectfully yay or nay someone’s hard work and efforts. In that venue negatives and positives would be expected. On this forum we are accustomed to supporting comments to each other.

The author is one of our own and should not be treated differently, just respect and good manners as we usually see around here.

Finally – I think drinking the koolaid was a demeaning and incorrect comment. It was not a massive call for sheep followers but rather a heads up that two important people in the SFG organization also like the author’s work. It could pique someone’s interest to give it a try. Oh gosh, there’s that supportive thing again.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/22/2012, 5:53 pm

@Yus wrote:Hi folks! I've been lurking on your forum for months and really enjoy it. Of all the threads I've read, I can't believe this is the one that spurred me to join and take the scary plunge of posting. I just wanted to say that from an outsiders point of view it looks like some of you have an agenda. Your either on a witchhunt for Boffers head, or your trying to gin up controversy to sell more books. There just isn't anything in Boffers review to warrant such a todo. He didn't write anything personal or even say that the book was bad. He said that some forum members, and he defined them, wouldn't learn anything. If that is objectionable ont he forum I guess I'll turnaround and leave because thats just plain silly.

Hi YUS,

Welcome .

Stick around & enjoy your hard work of being a lurker.. the site offers lots , it can & is indeed good fun
to run with . So long as you are not overly pink , fluffy and sensitive or too politicaly correct.Wink

Feathers always get ruffled on sites eventually .. this is one of those infrequent times it's happened on here that I have discovered .

Fortunately it appears settled and everybody is friends but it's now't to worry about or turn tail and scarper .

Welcome to the forum , put up a post in the newcomer section of the main page and you'll get to meet a few guys on here .

David

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  genes on 2/22/2012, 7:13 pm

Hey boofer! Wink I leave you alone for a month and look at the fine mess you've gotten yourself into this time! Razz According to your review I'm probably the person that should buy the book. I'm going to sleep on it. I must go now as my English helper is leaving, and I'm leaving with her. Hubba hubba ! (I learnd that when I was gone)
Bye boffer

genes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 2/22/2012, 7:25 pm

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb on 2/22/2012, 7:30 pm

genes...thats actually pretty funny!....good one

snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 108

View user profile http://thewealthyearth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 2/22/2012, 8:03 pm

Lol. Genes never fails to entertain Razz

...and would someone please tell Genes cartoon avatar month is over Cool

Not that I don't loves me some Speedy Gonzales

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 2/22/2012, 8:44 pm

Genes, I love having you here!

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  januaryX on 2/23/2012, 9:12 pm

Hey genes, it's time to quit hubba hubba-ing and tell us if you decided to buy the book?

januaryX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  genes on 2/24/2012, 1:14 pm

no

genes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 2/24/2012, 2:54 pm

Darn..now scared to do a review lol....but will say something.

I bought the ebook when the info was posted here.

While I didn't learn much new from it as I have gardened for decades and am in the process of wearing out my ANSFG book, it does have good information. Humm, And I did like the recipe for the pizza dough!

My oldest daughter has "dabbled" with gardening for years and had "helped" me with my sfg for the last couple of years. This year she is actually getting more involved as she is growing for her family as well.

She was reading the ebook on my computer while waiting for little one to wake up last week.

She did like the book. She said it helped her get a better "snapshot" of sfg'ing. She thought there was a lot of information that was in it for someone beginning to sfg. She said it gave her a better quick look at the system.

So for experienced maybe not (except recipes always win out!). For new gardeners and those that a "snapshot" of the system encourages them this is a good book.

CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  victoria on 2/24/2012, 9:38 pm

Thank you for an honest and down to earth review - I think you have said a lot that will help people decide if the ebook is for them or not - it's awesome you spoke up and pizza is always a good thing in my book lol - now did you actually try the pizza dough ? If so what did you put on your pizza ??? I used broccoli and tomatoes with Parmesan cheese - kids ate it up !!!

victoria

Female Posts : 40

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb on 3/6/2012, 10:02 pm

hmmmmm....

http://www.melbartholomew.com/mels-book-review-the-wealthy-earth/

snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  januaryX on 3/6/2012, 11:13 pm

@snibb wrote:hmmmmm....
http://www.melbartholomew.com/mels-book-review-the-wealthy-earth/

The referenced book review by Mel Bartholomew states that it is for experts as well as beginners.

I received a PM from Mr. Snibb on February 21 that said: "I agree that the book is not for experienced and successful SFGers. It wasn't written for them."

Hmmmmm........indeed.

januaryX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb on 3/6/2012, 11:22 pm

I guess if it's good enough for him......

No big deal

snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 3/7/2012, 5:03 pm

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
What a positively glowing review from Mel himself.
Congratulations!
Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yus on 3/7/2012, 10:28 pm

Yus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 3/10/2012, 5:24 pm

This book is a very helpful supplement to Mel’s Bartholomew’s ANSFG. I think it is best geared to someone who is either brand new to the method, and someone like myself with a couple of brief years square foot gardening experience. Jim shares his roughly 12 years of sfg and teaching experience with large and small classes. He greatly enhances important concepts regarding Mel’s Mix, watering, crop rotation, composting, etc. If someone asks me why does square foot gardening work so well compared to row gardening? The quickest and most powerful answer I can give comes right from this book. We start with the proper ingredients of 33% nutritious rich composted organic matter where a row gardener after years of amendments will typically average only 5% organic matter. We simply feed our plants better with astounding results, first time out. This was my personal experience also. Jim also shares cost savings analysis, recipes, and an all purpose pest spray you can make at home, and so much more. I enjoyed the tip of saving multiple buckets of rainwater around the garden instead of purchasing an expensive rain barrel. If you are looking for more tips from practical experience without reinventing the wheel yourself, you will enjoy this friendly book and become a better square foot gardener.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:18 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: