Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Big Buzz

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big Buzz

Post  WardinWake on 2/23/2012, 7:35 pm

Howdy Folk:

With the help of my able wife I built a new work bench this week. The legs are 4X4 lumber and the sides and top are made from 2X8 lumber. While working with the new workbench today we heard an angry buzzing coming from the bench. After a quick inspection and closer listening we found that Bumble Bees had bored 3 holes in the new bench and had taken up residence. A spray with WD-40 had their wings lubricated enough that we did not hear any more buzzing. I hated to do that because Bumble Bees make good pollinators for the Square Foot Garden.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 66
Location : Wake, VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Buzz

Post  Ha-v-v on 2/23/2012, 7:38 pm

Were they carpenter bees? We have lots of them on our deck in the summer, they come back to the holes that were made by the previous bees and we protect their pupa from wasps Smile

Ha-v-v

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 56
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Buzz

Post  WardinWake on 2/23/2012, 7:42 pm

@Ha-v-v wrote:Were they carpenter bees? We have lots of them on our deck in the summer, they come back to the holes that were made by the previous bees and we protect their pupa from wasps Smile

Ha-v-v

Howdy Ha-v-v:

These appeared to be big Bumble Bees. In any case they had bored holes larger than 3/8".

God Bless, Ward.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 66
Location : Wake, VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Buzz

Post  camprn on 2/23/2012, 8:00 pm

Sad
If it was me, would have put putty in the holes when they were out foraging, forcing them to go find a new home.

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Buzz

Post  Ha-v-v on 2/23/2012, 8:08 pm

Yes carpenter bees Smile They look like a big bumble bee and make holes, I did a little bit of research when we moved here to see if they were harmful to the wood structures, meaning, would the building fall down, the answers I found then were they werent going to bring my deck down. I was amazed by them. We see the piles of "pine" shavings they leave when they bore a new hole, then we see the pollen on the outside of their holes when feeding the babies. I am in awe of anything that can cut through wood, we have seen wasps cut meat before too but that was too close for comfort Smile

So do you have a project planned for the new work bench? I love new wood Smile

Ha-v-v

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 56
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Buzz

Post  shannon1 on 2/24/2012, 1:40 am

We have nick named them "bully bees" because they are so pesky. They are less likely to sting than honey bees but come right up to your face and look you in the eye. I do find that unnerving. They also chase of any other flying creatures including each other. I am still dealing with my fear of stinging insects but now I just tense up rather than running and screaming. I need the big bees (bumbles, mason, and carpender) to pollanate my passion fruit so I keep that in mind.

shannon1

Posts : 1697
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : zone 9a St.Johns county FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Buzz

Post  WardinWake on 2/24/2012, 5:17 am

@Ha-v-v wrote:Yes carpenter bees Smile They look like a big bumble bee and make holes, I did a little bit of research when we moved here to see if they were harmful to the wood structures, meaning, would the building fall down, the answers I found then were they werent going to bring my deck down. I was amazed by them. We see the piles of "pine" shavings they leave when they bore a new hole, then we see the pollen on the outside of their holes when feeding the babies. I am in awe of anything that can cut through wood, we have seen wasps cut meat before too but that was too close for comfort Smile

So do you have a project planned for the new work bench? I love new wood Smile

Ha-v-v
.

Howdy Folks: Upon reflection and reading about Carpenter Bees I have to conclude that the were not Bumble Bees but indeed Carpenter Bees. I will have to be more careful in the future as the garden can use more bees. The Carpenter Bees may drill holes in the workbench, but, then so do I.

The workbench was purpose built to work on chainsaws. It is not quite ready. I will be building drawers and a storage cabinet or two. I caught the bug of working on chainsaws when mine would run but not idle. After research and rebuilding the Carburetor I thought that I can do this. I have put out the call at work for any returned saws that are not economically repairable to be given to me instead of being put in the dumpster. Some only need a carb rebuild or other minor adjustment. Others are good for parts only.

And the bench will make a good potting bench as well.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 66
Location : Wake, VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Buzz

Post  camprn on 2/24/2012, 7:03 am

@WardinWake wrote:
@Ha-v-v wrote:Yes carpenter bees Smile They look like a big bumble bee and make holes, I did a little bit of research when we moved here to see if they were harmful to the wood structures, meaning, would the building fall down, the answers I found then were they werent going to bring my deck down. I was amazed by them. We see the piles of "pine" shavings they leave when they bore a new hole, then we see the pollen on the outside of their holes when feeding the babies. I am in awe of anything that can cut through wood, we have seen wasps cut meat before too but that was too close for comfort Smile

So do you have a project planned for the new work bench? I love new wood Smile

Ha-v-v
.

Howdy Folks: Upon reflection and reading about Carpenter Bees I have to conclude that the were not Bumble Bees but indeed Carpenter Bees. I will have to be more careful in the future as the garden can use more bees. The Carpenter Bees may drill holes in the workbench, but, then so do I.

The workbench was purpose built to work on chainsaws. It is not quite ready. I will be building drawers and a storage cabinet or two. I caught the bug of working on chainsaws when mine would run but not idle. After research and rebuilding the Carburetor I thought that I can do this. I have put out the call at work for any returned saws that are not economically repairable to be given to me instead of being put in the dumpster. Some only need a carb rebuild or other minor adjustment. Others are good for parts only.

And the bench will make a good potting bench as well.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

Ward, an excellent side hobby/job choice! I know there will some money in that for you! Hurrah! Very Happy

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Buzz

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:19 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum