Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Butterfly Junction
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:18 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:10 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Strawberries Under Raspberries

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strawberries Under Raspberries

Post  clydetheguide on 2/25/2012, 7:31 pm

I have learned that you can plant strawberries under blueberries for eating as well as a cover crop. Can the same thing be done with raspberries? Thanks.

clydetheguide

Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : Central Oregon High Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

strawberries under raspberries

Post  curio on 2/25/2012, 7:43 pm

My only concern would be that the raspberries throw up new canes each year, and the old ones need to be pruned out when they quit bearing, so the plants sort of "migrate". With blueberries being a bush, they are pretty much stationary.

curio

Posts : 388
Join date : 2012-02-22
Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries Under Raspberries

Post  clydetheguide on 2/25/2012, 7:52 pm

@curio wrote:My only concern would be that the raspberries throw up new canes each year, and the old ones need to be pruned out when they quit bearing, so the plants sort of "migrate". With blueberries being a bush, they are pretty much stationary.

Good point, the raspberries are in a raised bed that can be fairly easily managed.

clydetheguide

Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : Central Oregon High Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

raised bed for raspberries

Post  curio on 2/25/2012, 9:22 pm

I hope you have some significantly strong weed block under that raised bed. Ours have tried to migrate as much as 10' from the "mother" plants. We pull probably 2 dozen or more wayward canes every year. We've given many of them away, since they usually have root systems.

curio

Posts : 388
Join date : 2012-02-22
Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries Under Raspberries

Post  Windsor.Parker on 2/26/2012, 12:15 am

@clydetheguide wrote:I have learned that you can plant strawberries under blueberries for eating as well as a cover crop....
Hi clyde.
I'll be transplanting ten blueberry bushes later this Spring. How 'bout sharing some of your sources with me.
Lee

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Join date : 2011-12-12
Age : 69
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries Under Raspberries

Post  clydetheguide on 2/26/2012, 11:59 am

@Windsor.Parker wrote:
@clydetheguide wrote:I have learned that you can plant strawberries under blueberries for eating as well as a cover crop....
Hi clyde.
I'll be transplanting ten blueberry bushes later this Spring. How 'bout sharing some of your sources with me.
Lee

Raintree Nursery in Morton, WA has a great selection. I went with Bluecrop. www.raintreenursery.com.

clydetheguide

Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : Central Oregon High Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

where are you Clyde?

Post  curio on 2/26/2012, 6:38 pm

If you let me know which major city your closest to, I have quite a list of nurseries you could contact.
If you get blueberries, it's best to get at least two varieties, as some are not self pollinating.

curio

Posts : 388
Join date : 2012-02-22
Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries Under Raspberries

Post  clydetheguide on 2/26/2012, 6:40 pm

@curio wrote:If you let me know which major city your closest to, I have quite a list of nurseries you could contact.
If you get blueberries, it's best to get at least two varieties, as some are not self pollinating.



I am near Bend, Oregon.

clydetheguide

Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : Central Oregon High Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bend OR nursery.

Post  curio on 2/26/2012, 6:50 pm

Check out Eastside Gardens in Bend. I've heard it's very nice, with a good selection and nice folks that know what they're talking about.
They have a website, but I haven't been here long enough to post the link.

curio

Posts : 388
Join date : 2012-02-22
Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries Under Raspberries

Post  clydetheguide on 2/26/2012, 7:49 pm

@curio wrote:Check out Eastside Gardens in Bend. I've heard it's very nice, with a good selection and nice folks that know what they're talking about.
They have a website, but I haven't been here long enough to post the link.

I know Eastside well, great folks. Thanks.

clydetheguide

Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : Central Oregon High Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries Under Raspberries

Post  clydetheguide on 2/26/2012, 7:52 pm

@curio wrote:I hope you have some significantly strong weed block under that raised bed. Ours have tried to migrate as much as 10' from the "mother" plants. We pull probably 2 dozen or more wayward canes every year. We've given many of them away, since they usually have root systems.

Yes, I have had the same challenge. The good news is I have been able to plant more beds with the free renegades. Turning compost and cleaning out bluebird houses today in anticipation of spring.

clydetheguide

Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : Central Oregon High Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries Under Raspberries

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:58 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum