Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Coffee Substitute?
by countrynaturals Today at 1:02 pm

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Today at 10:57 am

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:04 am

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:02 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:00 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 8:31 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid Today at 7:27 am

» Worm bin?
by robert1938 Today at 6:47 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Today at 12:08 am

» Biochar?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Mels book
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by LizDTM Yesterday at 11:37 pm

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Yesterday at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Yesterday at 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:36 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/19/2017, 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:08 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 10:03 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My Garden Photo

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Garden Photo

Post  heaterguy on 2/26/2012, 8:15 pm

Yesterday I measured off my garden and began filling it today with plants. Upon completion I will send photos of the garden with growth in it. The dimensions are 3.5ft X 7ft. Just right for my small patio home yard.

heaterguy

Male Posts : 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Garden Photo

Post  gwennifer on 2/26/2012, 11:38 pm

Hi heaterguy! I love empty box pics too - thanks for sharing! Laughing

It looks like it was a kit - do you mind sharing more information about it? Where from, what it's made from, did you combine more than one to get that size, etc?
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 2/27/2012, 12:50 am

+1 very pretty! Love to know more about it...nice job setting it up! Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  heaterguy on 2/27/2012, 9:00 am

Well, I was prepared to make my own which would have been about $30.00. I was walking through Sam's Club when I noticed this kit made of composite lumber (pvc/wood particulate) for $39.00. I took it home and in 10 minutes I had it assembled.

The only downside is that it measures 3.5 X 7 foot leaving an inside measurement of 41 inch square per side. As you can see by my grid the outside grids are not 12" square.

I filled it with a topsoil mixture of soil and compost that I got from a local supplier and vermiculite. By the end of the week I will have it totally filled with plants and will supply another photo.

gwennifer wrote:Hi heaterguy! I love empty box pics too - thanks for sharing! Laughing

It looks like it was a kit - do you mind sharing more information about it? Where from, what it's made from, did you combine more than one to get that size, etc?
heaterguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto on 2/27/2012, 9:57 am

Is that one kit or 2 put together?
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

View user profile http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  heaterguy on 2/27/2012, 11:17 am

That model is one kit. They do have 3.5ft sq. kits as well.

lisaphoto wrote:Is that one kit or 2 put together?
heaterguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc on 2/27/2012, 3:58 pm

Be forewarned that by using a blend of soil, one compost, and vermiculite instead of Mel's Mix, you may be disappointed in your productivity. As boffer is want to say: "Mel's Mix is the most important, productive, essential, necessary, critical, major subject and is the backbone of the entire book and the Square Foot Gardening method! That's the picture. Get it? It's the reason all the other improvements are possible...Sorry to be so adamant, but this is really what makes SFG so different and successful. We have never had a failure of SFG except when someone decided to skimp on the ingredients...."
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/27/2012, 4:26 pm

heaterguy wrote:Well, I was prepared to make my own which would have been about $30.00. I was walking through Sam's Club when I noticed this kit made of composite lumber (pvc/wood particulate) for $39.00. I took it home and in 10 minutes I had it assembled.

The only downside is that it measures 3.5 X 7 foot leaving an inside measurement of 41 inch square per side. As you can see by my grid the outside grids are not 12" square.

I filled it with a topsoil mixture of soil and compost that I got from a local supplier and vermiculite. By the end of the week I will have it totally filled with plants and will supply another photo.

gwennifer wrote:Hi heaterguy! I love empty box pics too - thanks for sharing! Laughing

Nice post heater guy,

That manmade material can last well over 25 years apparently.

Now the basic fill material you have used ....Rolling Eyes .

Do you have the book " All New Square Foot Gardening " 2006 edition by Mel Bartholomew ?

It is ISBN code 9 781591 862024 , for my money as a gardener of over 45 years experience the book is worth its weight in gold for without it you'll be lost trying to do Mel's squarefoot gardening system , as you'll not have the full amount of the correct knowledge needed for it.

In it Mel lays out what he has discovered & proved time & time again that work for his squarefoot gaardening from many years of sucessfully trialing things .

It is a formula he calls Mel's Mix he states in that book exactly what Airdoc put , " . they have never known a failure because of people using the formula to make the filling .. but they have known of stacks who failed by not using it. He then explains a few things about the various fillings .

I too would totaly suggest & reccommend that you dig out the current contents , spread it over your grass then get the ingredients for Mel's mix and put that in your bed for a great years SFG'ing
plantoid

Male Posts : 3737

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  heaterguy on 2/27/2012, 4:39 pm

We'll see what results I get with this mixture for this year. I have the book on order.

plantoid wrote:
heaterguy wrote:Well, I was prepared to make my own which would have been about $30.00. I was walking through Sam's Club when I noticed this kit made of composite lumber (pvc/wood particulate) for $39.00. I took it home and in 10 minutes I had it assembled.

Nice post heater guy,

That manmade material can last well over 25 years apparently.

Now the basic fill material you have used ....Rolling Eyes .

Do you have the book " All New Square Foot Gardening " 2006 edition by Mel Bartholomew ?

It is ISBN code 9 781591 862024 , for my money as a gardener of over 45 years experience the book is worth its weight in gold for without it you'll be lost trying to do Mel's squarefoot gardening system , as you'll not have the full amount of the correct knowledge needed for it.

In it Mel lays out what he has discovered & proved time & time again that work for his squarefoot gaardening from many years of sucessfully trialing things .

It is a formula he calls Mel's Mix he states in that book exactly what Airdoc put , " . they have never known a failure because of people using the formula to make the filling .. but they have known of stacks who failed by not using it. He then explains a few things about the various fillings .

I too would totaly suggest & reccommend that you dig out the current contents , spread it over your grass then get the ingredients for Mel's mix and put that in your bed for a great years SFG'ing
heaterguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  heaterguy on 2/28/2012, 8:46 am

I understand and appreciate your comments. All my material was purchase before I knew about Mel. The material was recommended by a local Agricultural Scientist (PH.d. Texas A&M) who was instrumental in me getting into raised bed gardening.

1airdoc wrote:Be forewarned that by using a blend of soil, one compost, and vermiculite instead of Mel's Mix, you may be disappointed in your productivity. As boffer is want to say: "Mel's Mix is the most important, productive, essential, necessary, critical, major subject and is the backbone of the entire book and the Square Foot Gardening method! That's the picture. Get it? It's the reason all the other improvements are possible...Sorry to be so adamant, but this is really what makes SFG so different and successful. We have never had a failure of SFG except when someone decided to skimp on the ingredients...."
heaterguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 2/28/2012, 9:01 am

heaterguy, we look foreward to the results you get with your new bed. Of course we love, support, and recommend our Mel's Mix here, after all we are the Official Square Foot Gardening Forum. Maybe after you get your book, and funds permitting you also try a bed with Mel's Mix. You could do a side by side comparison and share your results with us. Happy gardening and COME ON SPRING!! Smile

I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  heaterguy on 2/28/2012, 9:04 am

Thank you and perhaps we will. Spring has arrived in Houston! IMHO!

nKedrOoStEr wrote:heaterguy, we look foreward to the results you get with your new bed. Of course we love, support, and recommend our Mel's Mix here, after all we are the Official Square Foot Gardening Forum. Maybe after you get your book, and funds permitting you also try a bed with Mel's Mix. You could do a side by side comparison and share your results with us. Happy gardening and COME ON SPRING!! Smile
heaterguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 2/28/2012, 9:06 am

Spring has arrived in Houston! IMHO!

I'm a tad jealous Very Happy

I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto on 3/2/2012, 2:13 pm

I bought two of the same kits. What do you plan on planting in the half squares?
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

half squares

Post  curio on 3/2/2012, 2:19 pm

personally I would consider carrots or onions in those half squares.
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 3/2/2012, 2:25 pm

heaterguy.....I, too, started mine before the Mel's Mix knowledge. You can always top off your beds with 3-6" of MM later on when your beds need some rejuvenation.

Good luck and happy SFGing.
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4690

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto on 3/2/2012, 2:36 pm

That's what I was thinking, anything that grows low and you plant multiple per square
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  heaterguy on 3/2/2012, 6:04 pm

Herbs, onions, garlic maybe asparagus if they will grow in the Houston heat.

lisaphoto wrote:I bought two of the same kits. What do you plan on planting in the half squares?
heaterguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  heaterguy on 3/2/2012, 6:05 pm

More than likely that is the way I will proceed.

quiltbea wrote:heaterguy.....I, too, started mine before the Mel's Mix knowledge. You can always top off your beds with 3-6" of MM later on when your beds need some rejuvenation.

Good luck and happy SFGing.
heaterguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 3/3/2012, 3:04 am

It looks good can't wait to see more.
shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down