Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Today at 5:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Today at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Today at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Today at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Today at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Today at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Today at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Today at 3:34 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 3:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 3:28 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Today at 12:01 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by walshevak Today at 11:44 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by No_Such_Reality Today at 9:57 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:16 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Today at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 11:34 am

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:12 am

» First time growing corn
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:07 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wine Box Plan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wine Box Plan

Post  mageice3 on 2/29/2012, 2:06 pm

Its very rough but the idea is sound. I have some 2x6 boards for the main bed, and the 4 wine boxes for the small beds.

Its a sketch I know, but I can either make the main bed one piece or form a frame to set the wine boxes in so that the "main bed" would be 6 wine boxes that are removable so I can bring them indoors to extend my growing season. (My local extension office says we have 150 days of growing season but two years ago my tomatoes had to be brought indoors after only 3 months of "summer" to prevent freezing)

In addition I will be using these with rocks and sand then 6" of MM for my bush tomatoes and cucumbers:

The rocks are to deal with the high winds and the sand will make a nice base I think, I know they are not a SFG but Mel says 1 bush for 2sqft and with my limited room I wanted some place to put the bush tomatoes and cucumbers I had seeds for, so I figured the buckets were free why not give em a try...

Any thoughts? I'd love the input.
James
mageice3

Male Posts : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wine Box Plan

Post  walshevak on 2/29/2012, 2:59 pm

The mel's mix is more important than the container. Pots with 6 or 7 inches of MM on top of sand or even crumpled styrofoam can be tucked into a lot of empty spaces.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4360

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 2/29/2012, 4:25 pm

I know they are not a SFG but Mel says 1 bush for 2sqft and with my limited room I wanted some place to put the bush tomatoes and cucumbers I had seeds for, so I figured the buckets were free why not give em a try.

James, I grew my tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets last year, it would have worked fine (for Coastal Oregon), but I had health issues and was not able to care for them properly Sad

In the ANSFG book, pages 230-231 and page 192 Mel recommends 9 sq ft for bush tomatoes but that is when they are grown in the SFG bed because the plants spread out so much, and not because of the roots.

I am going to try some zucchini and crookneck squash in buckets this year just because I don't have room in my Table Tops for bush type squash and there are very few vining summer squash. Bush squash take 9 sq ft also. We will see how it works for me.

Like yours, mine will not be quite SFG, but they will be in Mel's Mix.

The mel's mix is more important than the container. Pots with 6 or 7 inches of MM on top of sand or even crumpled styrofoam can be tucked into a lot of empty spaces.
To avoid having my precious Mel's Mix sift down between rocks, styrofoam or into another type of planting mix, I placed a layer of weed cloth over the base filler before adding my Mel's Mix on top of the weed cloth.
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mageice3 on 3/2/2012, 9:07 pm

So I just finished filling my Radish and Carrot box (for little finger carrots) and its just looking amazing, tho I can already see an issue with the 1/2 in sides of the box when fully wet they will be almost impossible to move and may require additional support.

What do you think? The divider is just yarn right now I plan to add a strap of balsa wood in its place once the lumber store opens in the morning.

James
mageice3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wine Box BUST

Post  mageice3 on 3/3/2012, 3:16 am

Well after wetting the soil and waiting for it to settle a loud crack resonated through my house, when I went to see what happened the bottom had split open on both sides. pale

At least I didn't plant it yet, so I recovered the MM from the box and am looking for other small containers/SFG's to put the mix in for my movable section....

Any thoughts or suggestions would be VERY welcome. The movable sections are for early winter being able to bring them indoors, I have a 4 shelf indoor greenhouse that's 2.5ft x 1.5ft and that is where I would like to extend my growing season for the following Veggies:
Spinach
Swiss Chard
Radish
Lettuce

Look forward to any ideas, thanks
James
mageice3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 3/3/2012, 3:23 am

oh no! that is so sad. Do you have any more? perhaps you could reforce it before planting it sounded like such a good idea.
shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/3/2012, 7:54 am

shannon1 wrote:oh no! that is so sad. Do you have any more? perhaps you could reforce it before planting it sounded like such a good idea.

+1 also check out rubbermaid type bins. I have shallow 6" containers on my chairtop gardens. I can just move them when full. Currently planted with snap peas and lettuce and I just moved out of the greenhouse yesterday. Pic is from last year.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mageice3 on 3/3/2012, 1:05 pm

shannon1 wrote:oh no! that is so sad. Do you have any more? perhaps you could reforce it before planting it sounded like such a good idea.

Yea I have more, but the way it split I would have to run 1x straps all the way around it. It would almost cost more to make these work (and take away how cute they look) then to just build some 2x1 boxes from 2x6 lumber in fact one 2x6x12 would make two box frames and all I would need is the bottom so I think that mat be the cheapest way to go.

Kay - the shallow plastic containers are pricey up here, I saw some that were 6.5 inches deep but they were $15 so I discarded that idea. However if I can find one on CL or FC I may do that.

On an off thought since I do have the 2ft long panels from the other boxes I may nail them to the outside of the box to "fake" it Very Happy

James
mageice3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 3/3/2012, 1:14 pm

On an off thought since I do have the 2ft long panels from the other boxes I may nail them to the outside of the box to "fake" it Very Happy

Great idea! Strong SFG beds with the look of wine boxes.
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 3/4/2012, 3:02 am

mageice3 wrote:

Yea I have more, but the way it split I would have to run 1x straps all the way around it. It would almost cost more to make these work (and take away how cute they look) then to just build some 2x1 boxes from 2x6 lumber in fact one 2x6x12 would make two box frames and all I would need is the bottom so I think that mat be the cheapest way to go.
James
Ok I know it would not be pretty but how about duct tape? Is it too late to post a pic of how it broke? I'm in love with the idea of trying it myself. Free is what I like for my garden and use alot of trash others people's discarded things. Can you say repurposed?
shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mageice3 on 3/4/2012, 6:09 pm

shannon1 wrote:Ok I know it would not be pretty but how about duct tape? Is it too late to post a pic of how it broke? I'm in love with the idea of trying it myself. Free is what I like for my garden and use alot of trash others people's discarded things. Can you say repurposed?

After Removing the soil and letting the box sit out and dry (had a road trip to attend to) it looks alot better however:

You can see how the bottom split apart, the sides did hold so If I can find some plywood to replace the bottom with I will try that. The bottom was more horseshoe shaped before it dried.

James
mageice3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rrsmith60 on 3/4/2012, 6:34 pm

James,

Brilliant concept, keep working on the design issues and keep us posted, I’m always looking for an excuse to drink wine!
rrsmith60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/4/2012, 7:03 pm

Try hardware cloth lined with weedblock for the bottoms.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 3/5/2012, 12:48 am

walshevak wrote:Try hardware cloth lined with weedblock for the bottoms.

Kay
so much better than duct tape
shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mageice3 on 3/5/2012, 2:14 am

walshevak wrote:Try hardware cloth lined with weedblock for the bottoms.

Kay

At first I was thinking hardware cloth like canvas and going "What?!?" but after doing a little research I found a wire cloth marketed under the name "Hardware Cloth" and was like Ooooo! I think it would be heavy enough and light enough, thanks so much for the idea!!! cheers I'm going to see if my hardware store carries it by the foot, if so I should have details of it in two to three days, wish me luck and thanks for the wonderful thought Kay, even if I misunderstood it at first Smile

James
mageice3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 3/5/2012, 2:19 am

Yep that's the stuff Boffer uses on the bottom of his TT's. Too bad you'er so far away I have some my DM found by the side of the road and was wondering what to do with it. It comes in large rolls so if you need a tool to cut it, and can't find a loaner pick up some tin snips at the hard ware store while your there.
shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/5/2012, 7:42 am

That's what I use on the bottoms of my TTs as well. A 4x4 needs supporting through the middle, but the little boxes may not. Remember the excess hardware cloth can be used for many other garden uses, critter control, compost sifter, lining walls made of pallets to contain compost. I'm sure you will find a use for any extra.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content