Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:46 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from Poland!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi from Poland!!

Post  Danni on 3/8/2012, 6:54 am

Hello all! My name is Danni. I am from Michigan but live here in Poland with my Polish husband and two kids ages 4 and 6. They are excited to garden this year. I am too but it is my first real garden on my own. I grew up gardening with my mom but that was a long time ago.

I bought Mel's book this last summer when I was stateside and have been trying to read and plan the best I can. But it has been a bit hard because all seed packs are in Polish (I speak fairly well but this is a bit out of my level) and things like vermiculite is very hard to find here.

I will do my best to search the forum before asking a question but I still may have some pretty basic question for you, so I ask for patience!

I will have two 4x6 beds and a small 2x2. We are repurposing our kids sandbox wood. I bought 4 different tomato packs (planning to container these), two cucumbers (one pickling, one fresh eating), spinach, two kinds of radishes, beets, wax beans, carrots, and two kinds of lettuce. I plan to add some herbs, basil, cilantro and mint but I am still considering containers for them. And I am still thinking of adding flowers to the vegie beds. I do have nasturtiums and several other seed packs that the kids picked out for their flower beds!

I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks for reading!

Danni

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi from Poland!!

Post  sfg4uKim on 3/8/2012, 7:13 am

Hi Danni and welcome to the Forum.

I used to live in Berlin and (of course) would cross over to Boleslawiec for my Polish pottery. I also have a friend in Worclaw (she & her husband have a church there).

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1871

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 3/9/2012, 6:31 pm

Hello Danni,

Welcome to the site.

Type or scan the seed packet info into a word doc and see if you can use a translator to read it or failing that show us a picture oon here and soome of us should be able to come up with a workable set of words for that crop.

You could also perhaps type up a list of crops you want and use the translator programme to change the list into Polish so you know what to look for if there are no glossy pictures on the packets.

Perhaps get hold of a book off Amazon UK , ebay UK etc . called " The Vegetable Expert " by Dr DG Hessayon.
My book is a first edition dated 1985 ,it's now several edtions on and covers some more upto date seed types.

It is an alphabetical listed crop book book with pictures , line diagrams , soil facts ,planting spaces, crop care, harvesting , in the kitchen use , variety types and troubles for each individula veg . There are also several places in it where you get a couple of pages of crop pests

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 3/9/2012, 6:50 pm

It looks like you've been given good advice already, so just let me Welcome you to the Forum.

When Mel visits some other countries where they don't have peat moss and vermiculiite, he makes do with compost. Sometimes you just can't get the components as you want them. Just do your best and start gardening.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/9/2012, 6:56 pm

Hi Danni and welcome.

Is pearlite more readily available in Poland. If so, it makes an acceptable substitute for vermiculite. Also coir, while not as good can be substituted for peat. Anyway, I hope you can collect the necessary ingredients for a successful MM, even if it is plain compost. Definately put the mint in a container. It is very invasive. But tomato like having basil nearby.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker on 3/9/2012, 7:07 pm

Hi Danni and welcome to the forum! Do continue with your questions and comments. We are happy to help whenever and wherever possible.

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Danni on 3/10/2012, 2:27 am

@plantoid wrote:Hello Danni,

Welcome to the site.

Type or scan the seed packet info into a word doc and see if you can use a translator to read it or failing that show us a picture oon here and soome of us should be able to come up with a workable set of words for that crop.

You could also perhaps type up a list of crops you want and use the translator programme to change the list into Polish so you know what to look for if there are no glossy pictures on the packets.

Perhaps get hold of a book off Amazon UK , ebay UK etc . called " The Vegetable Expert " by Dr DG Hessayon.
My book is a first edition dated 1985 ,it's now several edtions on and covers some more upto date seed types.

It is an alphabetical listed crop book book with pictures , line diagrams , soil facts ,planting spaces, crop care, harvesting , in the kitchen use , variety types and troubles for each individula veg . There are also several places in it where you get a couple of pages of crop pests

I will look up that book and see if I can order it!! Thank you.

I did the word doc and Google translate!

I found the seed companies website and translated the seed descriptions and already printed it out! The only thing is that they don't seem to list if the tomato varieties are determinate or indeterminate or if things like beans are pole or vine. I have only one pack of yellow (wax) beans and still don't know which they are. I think Monday I will have my hubby go with me to the gardening store and we will ask! Thanks for the advice!

Danni

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Danni on 3/10/2012, 2:35 am

@walshevak wrote:Hi Danni and welcome.

Is pearlite more readily available in Poland. If so, it makes an acceptable substitute for vermiculite. Also coir, while not as good can be substituted for peat. Anyway, I hope you can collect the necessary ingredients for a successful MM, even if it is plain compost. Definately put the mint in a container. It is very invasive. But tomato like having basil nearby.

Kay

My local gardening store has perlite, peat and coir. It is just vermiculit that is the issue. I can order it online. It is a 20L (about 5 gallon) container for about $7 but the shipping is another $7 and I just don't think that 20L will be enough. It is a pity that their company is all the way in the south. I think I may just make it easier on myself this first year and go with perlite.

Again thank for the warm welcome and the advice!

Danni

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 3/10/2012, 8:19 am

Even in the States the package doesn't always tell you if it's det or indet or pole or bush for beans. That info you need to get on the catalog's web site. USUALLY you can tell by the height: dets are GENERALLY in the 3' range (under 100 cm) while the indets are USUALLY over 6' (200 cm). It think that the same info would GENERALLY work for most beans too.

LOL we all KNOW that these are generalities, but it might help.

IF you can find the name of the variety/cultivar, you should be able to Google the info. I had the same problems in Germany and just rolled with "SURPRISE"!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1871

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top