Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by newbeone Today at 4:28 pm

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by plantoid Today at 3:13 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Today at 2:57 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Kelejan Today at 2:52 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by landarch Today at 2:30 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:40 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Today at 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver Today at 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy Today at 8:59 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Today at 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 1:58 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 12:37 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 9:29 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 9:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 6:07 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Freezing with suction!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Freezing with suction!

Post  Grandpop on 3/20/2012, 1:00 pm

SOS My son does a lot of fishing and he stores the bounty in vacuum bags in his freezer. It's great - and I get a share. Does anyone use a vacuum sealer for their vegetables/berries prior to freezing or are such products too "soft" as opposed to fish or meat? Since the cost is about $120 or so, I need to research the info before I invest. Appreciate any help/advice.

Grandpop

Male Posts : 79
Location : Newbern, TN, 7A, Extreme West Tn. - 15 Miles from Miss. River.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Freezing with suction!

Post  walshevak on 3/20/2012, 1:31 pm

I use mine for greens both leftover cooked and blanched, soups, anything. The way to package berries for storage is to freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet and then package, vacuum and return to the freezer.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4301

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tomperrin on 3/20/2012, 1:42 pm

@Grandpop wrote: My son does a lot of fishing and he stores the bounty in vacuum bags in his freezer. It's great - and I get a share. Does anyone use a vacuum sealer for their vegetables/berries prior to freezing or are such products too "soft" as opposed to fish or meat? Since the cost is about $120 or so, I need to research the info before I invest. Appreciate any help/advice.

Food Saver runs specials all the time. You should be able to get on their email list here:
http://www.foodsaver.com/Index.aspx

I bought their $50 model last year, about half their asking price. I found it a little bit awkward to use the first time out. I haven't yet used the squash I froze, so can't tell you how I did. There are various models, so get the one that is best for you.

I would consider vacuum method also for long term storage of things that oxidize, like silver or iron.

Tom

tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandpop on 3/20/2012, 1:47 pm

silly me Why didn't I think of that??? I raise bunches and bunches of blueberries each year and I freeze them just like you said . . . separate and then in the bag. I'm thinking I can do vegetables the same way . . . blanch, freeze, bag and vacuum. Funny how simple things can be. Thanks for the nudge!

Grandpop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandpop on 3/20/2012, 1:48 pm

@tomperrin wrote:

Food Saver runs specials all the time. You should be able to get on their email list here:
http://www.foodsaver.com/Index.aspx

I bought their $50 model last year, about half their asking price. I found it a little bit awkward to use the first time out. I haven't yet used the squash I froze, so can't tell you how I did. There are various models, so get the one that is best for you.

I would consider vacuum method also for long term storage of things that oxidize, like silver or iron.

Tom

and thanks for the lead . .

Grandpop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 3/20/2012, 7:11 pm

@Grandpop wrote: My son does a lot of fishing and he stores the bounty in vacuum bags in his freezer. It's great - and I get a share. Does anyone use a vacuum sealer for their vegetables/berries prior to freezing or are such products too "soft" as opposed to fish or meat? Since the cost is about $120 or so, I need to research the info before I invest. Appreciate any help/advice.

We have had a cheapie vac sealer that uses tube or premade bags for over four years .. we freeze alsorts of things according to the suggested methods for each individual product .

Soft fruit tends to go soggy once it is thawed so is best used in pies & puddings

The best thing about vac freezing is that you don't get freezer burn and you can make up family sized portions in individual bags .

Some fruit and veg can be frozen as is but most need to be blanched to kill off any surface bacteria.

We often bag & freeze cooked mashed swede,& carrot , potato or sliced cooked potatos for use in quick meals .

Our soups and stews are made in big batches and whats's left is portioned up for 2 & 3/4 people.

The best bags I have found are slightly more expensive than the flat roll stuff .. they have an embossed mesh pattern on one inside face and are slightly thicker .. this allow fast extraction of air.

Tip.

If you have a lot of liquid in a bag stand it in a deep box in the freezer till it freezes then bring it out and vac seal it.

If you want to get a marinade deep into meat of veg .. put the marinated stuff in a vac bag extract the air and seal it ..leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours .

I frequently buy four or five live chooks and sort them out .. making up bags of breast & full thighs

The carcasses are broken in half and slow cooked in the big slowcooker with garlic ,carrot ,onion and celery to make five pints of stock per two carcasses, it then gets frozen as above in measured pint bags for use in all sorts of cooking & soups.when needed.

Do use a quality wide tip permanant marker pen to write what's in the bags on the open flap end for it's amazing how a few months down the line you end up planning a meal only to find you have picked out the wrong unmarked bag. do put the ful date on the bag as well for vac freezing can extent the life of frozen food by quite a lot .. ( look on line for charts and blanching charts ).

We also buy in bulk quality commercial stuff that is frozen down to minus 30 oC . As soon as it is delivered we decant it into our own vac sealed packs in 2 3/4 sized portions for there is no way we want 10 pound of king prawn in one box in the big chest freezer , the same happens with premade desserts in pots or any of the pies we get.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3593

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re: freezing with suction

Post  minervalong on 3/20/2012, 10:08 pm

we just love our machine. i could never get all into the freezer that i do without it. and it does prevent freezer burn which is important to us as we only harvest venison two weeks in the fall and that has to last us all year.

like plantoid said, make sure to mark all of your packages. once wanted to make peach cobbler and instead the girlie got out cooked squash. she has a touch of colorblindness and didn't look at the contents closely lol.

minervalong

Female Posts : 76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell on 3/20/2012, 10:28 pm

I use my Foodsaver all the time. I think it's the only thing I ever bought from QVC, but it was worth it. I buy the Foodsaver bags (like another poster mentioned, they're definitely better quality) from BJs (a wholesale club) most of the time.

Mostly, I use it to package meat into individual portions since I live alone. But I use it to freeze chili or tomato sauce as well. And this past Fall I used it to freeze some herbs I wanted to save (using the freezing on a cookie sheet ahead of time method). The less watery ones turned out really good (such as rosemary). The ones with higher water content tasted great (basil, parsley, etc), but they were soggy. So they were great for flavoring, not so good for garnish.

I didn't grow enough last year to freeze any vegetables - maybe this year!

moswell

Female Posts : 361

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:44 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum