Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by plantoid Today at 4:45 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:01 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:16 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» newbeone
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 1:58 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 12:37 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 9:29 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 9:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 6:07 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma 9/25/2016, 4:04 pm

» mulching
by dstack 9/25/2016, 12:27 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Question (about grape vines for leaves)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question (about grape vines for leaves)

Post  AranMC on 3/26/2012, 7:05 pm

Living in Northern Ontario I can't grow grape vines for grapes without a greenhouse.. But I would like to grow one for grape leaves... for making various stuffed grape leaves of course..lol

Would it be possible for me to grow a grape vine outside (If started in the potting shed under fluorescent lights) just to get a young plant with some leaves? I can't plant outside until end of may and my season can end as early as Labor Day... Do I buy seeds? Or can I simply use the pips from grapes?

Aran

AranMC

Female Posts : 80

View user profile http://vibrantinhealth.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Question (about grape vines for leaves)

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 3/26/2012, 7:19 pm

@AranMC wrote:Living in Northern Ontario I can't grow grape vines for grapes without a greenhouse.. But I would like to grow one for grape leaves... for making various stuffed grape leaves of course..lol

Would it be possible for me to grow a grape vine outside (If started in the potting shed under fluorescent lights) just to get a young plant with some leaves? I can't plant outside until end of may and my season can end as early as Labor Day... Do I buy seeds? Or can I simply use the pips from grapes?

Aran

What are you doing with the grape leaves?

Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AranMC on 3/26/2012, 7:39 pm

Using them as wraps in recipes....

AranMC

Female Posts : 80

View user profile http://vibrantinhealth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 3/26/2012, 7:41 pm

@AranMC wrote:Using them as wraps in recipes....

That's awesome.

I love greek stuffed grape leaves

Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 3/26/2012, 7:57 pm

Usually the vines are started as cutings or cuttings grafted on a disease resistant root stock .

Parents in law used to live by No 1 lock on the Welland shipping canal and a few miles north was acrea and acres of the Iniskillien vinyards .. they got a fairly heavy interesting frosts each winter.

Do you have a perma frost layer ?

Now for the interesting bit.. I have grown grapes from pips that I just wiped out of nearly rotten grapes on to some kitchen towel I grew them in sand on a north facing wall you may need to think wich direction you need to use.

The grapes never came to much .. far to acidic & about as big as garden peas but after I used some well composted chicken shed muck & straw around the vine , it gave off plenty of decent sized leaves from which we soaked a few jars of virgin olive oil to make stuffed vine leaves .

Most commercial grown grapes are sterile clones so you may have to play at it a few times and use German grapes or Canadian grown ones not South African or other such warm world ones.

If you can perhaps you could also get some one lower down in the world of Canada to tip & layer a tendril and post it to you as a bare rooted severed tip and layerd plant wrapped in damp tissue in a poly bag .

I also made a delicous golden hock style country wine .. by pouring four gallons of boiling water over six buckets of lightly pressed down vine leaves .. left it for three days ,stirring every day and then strained infusion off .

I made up a working sugar syrup strength with some citric acid and a few Vit B tabs and set it fermenting adding a further quart of sugar syrup over the next three months a bit at a time and stirring it in for I was trying to keep it clear as a bell and not get it too high in alcohol . . racked it off the sediment once it stopped working and stored it in a barrel for three months in the cool dark of our cellar & hit it with the minumum number of campden tablets to kill off any further yeast action . Filterd it twice over the next three months then bottled the lot in time for Christmas .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3592

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 3/26/2012, 11:02 pm

Hi there
I am living in central BC where some say we are zone 5, but you just go up the hills and you are in zone 4.
We have a vineyard near here that boasts that it is the most northerly vineyard in Canada.
They are higher up that I am, and so likely a zone 4. They make GREAT wine though...
If I were you I would try to get some grape vines, and plant them. You will save yourself a few years time over starting from seed. You may only get leaves, but then again that is all you want...
If you protect the plant with straw in the winter, it will likely overwinter.

Can you use any grape leaves to make Dogma.... ( I am likely totally misspelling it), but stuffed grape leaves?

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 3/27/2012, 1:28 pm

My family had a fair amount of experience with wild grape leaves and normally they dug up the wild vines or attempted to propagate cuttings. I don't know the "book-learned" way of doing things, but here goes with my family lore. NOTE: I have read that all grape leaves are edible, but my family just always wanted the wild grapes - maybe that was just my grandparents' way of using what was available to them?

Back in the 40s I think, my grandfather went out into the country and dug up a wild grape vine and planted it at the family home. My grandmother had to okay it. I remember mom saying my grandmother would examine the leaves. In her mind, they should NOT be the ones that are shiny and white on the back - ours are green on both front and back and do not produce edible grapes. I think today that this was a "wild grape" with very small sour fruit. She would bite a leaf looking for a particular taste she recognized. Maybe they just found that the leaves from this were more tender, or maybe it was just more readily available in the midwest???

The leaves are usually picked around Memorial Day when they are young and tender. If used fresh, you would normally blanch them to soften them enough to roll filling in them. Some still preserve them in salt - but we normally freeze. The freezing process will soften them. Smile

The most common term for the stuffed grape leaves is Dolma (the Greek word). My family's term from the Lebanese Arabic is often spelled differently: warak, yubrak, etc. It's pronounced something like "yubru-"clear-your-throat-noise"" LOL Smile Anyone got a letter for the "clear-your-throat-noise"? thinking

I'm surprised that stuffed grape leaves are catching on because when I was a kid all my friends thought they were gross! Smile They are my birthday request from my mom every year!

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eflan on 3/27/2012, 6:06 pm

You might want to check out Vesey's - they have 3 varieties of grape and they're all hardy to zone 3. They're pretty pricey though.

http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/fruitsberries/grapes

eflan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum