Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:25 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:09 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New here and to gardening - from Haarlem in the Netherlands

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New here and to gardening - from Haarlem in the Netherlands

Post  tnoyce on 3/30/2012, 7:18 am

Hi

my wife and I have just started square-foot gardening, so I thought it would be smart to hook up with people that know how it should be done. Our challenges are our lack of knowledge and experience and the fact that this country does not use feet at all: we can convert easily enough, but when we bought containers to fit nicely onto our balcony we ended up with something 1'6" by 3'. We have read most of the book and are planting leeks, iceberg lettuce, lollo rosso, strawberries, beans, carrots and broccoli.

Tim and Marjolein

tnoyce

Male Posts : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Welcome

Post  curio on 3/30/2012, 8:49 am

Welcome to the forum!! There is indeed a wealth of knowledge to be had here.

curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New here and to gardening - from Haarlem in the Netherlands

Post  llama momma on 3/30/2012, 8:54 am

glad you\'re here From Ohio! I think you will be fine. When you mark off your squares and plant your carrots, that left over 6 inch area could simply take 8 carrots instead of 16 to a sq. ft. There have been other folks here with the same issue. Not a problem since the plants won't care. I'll be planting baby strawberry plants for the first time in a few days too. I'm pretty excited. Are you able to find the ingredients for Mel's Mix? If you have issues finding everything, you could use more compost instead. Then later on add the peat and vermiculite as it becomes available. Your varieties of compost is the source of nutrients so try hard not to skimp on it. There's lots of help on this forum, welcome again and Best Wishes!

Last edited by llama momma on 3/30/2012, 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarify)

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 3/30/2012, 12:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. Its a great place to find answers. Enjoy the gardening experience and the flavor of your own food.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tnoyce on 4/1/2012, 3:03 pm

@llama momma wrote: glad you\'re here From Ohio! I think you will be fine. When you mark off your squares and plant your carrots, that left over 6 inch area could simply take 8 carrots instead of 16 to a sq. ft. There have been other folks here with the same issue. Not a problem since the plants won't care. I'll be planting baby strawberry plants for the first time in a few days too. I'm pretty excited. Are you able to find the ingredients for Mel's Mix? If you have issues finding everything, you could use more compost instead. Then later on add the peat and vermiculite as it becomes available. Your varieties of compost is the source of nutrients so try hard not to skimp on it. There's lots of help on this forum, welcome again and Best Wishes!
Thanks! Yes we did find the ingredients: beloved wife is amazingly good at internet search I love you .

Our city collects garden/fruit/vegetable refuse separately and composts it centrally, so we were able to go and claim a three big bags of compost from them! Since it is well-composted garden waste I am not bothering mixing it with other kinds. The hardest one to find was vermiculite.

Looking around I was wondering if there is a way of matching up the northern Dutch climate to a US state, that way I can make use of some of the regional advice.

tnoyce

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/1/2012, 5:39 pm

Tim, because your nearly always with" wet feet " your climate will be far different to most on here .

Perhaps you'll be nearer to our climate in the UK as we live nearly 15 Km in a straight line from the Bristol channel but elevated up at 117 mtrs above sea level. ( Just off the west end of the M4 Motorway in South Wales ).

Have a look at what is being planted in the community allotment gardens by the local Dutch people and pick their brains as to what they are doing & you won't go far wrong.

If you go to the home page and look at the list of various forums look in the Europe forum . There is a link about climate zones & there is a fairly close match to our climates .

One big advantage is that this side of the pond we have over two thousand years of gardening knowlege on our own stamping ground. Perhaps your local library will have a seasonal gardening book or three for you to chose what you want to grow and fairly local to you information.

There is a great set of such books by a Dr. D.G. Hessayon one of which is called " The vegetable expert " there is a latest edition ( mine is circa 1985 but it is still very relevent. they are often to be had second hand cheap off Amazon Uk or Ebay UK etc. Most of our UK gardening centres carry the range of books as well .

There is also another new netherlander who has just joined the site , they are balcony gardening

Just a quick conversion 303 mm = one foot = 12 inches , 909mm = one yard ,

Mel's Mix works well by the bucket full ..v 5 peat , 5 vermiculite and five individual buckets of different manures & composts ...... ( it saves getting all anal about precise measurements Wink . )

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 4/1/2012, 7:56 pm

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

When we were stationed in Germany (the first time) we took our sons to the Benelux region. We were in Eindhoven to see where my aunt lived as a child (she was captured during WWII and my uncle's unit freed her.

We of course went to Amsterdam, but the best time was staying at an old sheep farm (thatched roof and all). Unfortunately I don't remember EXACTLY WHERE that was, but it was about 20 miles south of Amsterdam.

And of course I made hubby take me to Keukenhof (although it was after peak season).

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1865

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tnoyce on 4/2/2012, 2:09 pm

Right now the schools are just starting gardening classes (rows of beets and carrots mainly), the daffodils are just fading and violets were finished a month ago.

The Netherlands tends to get damp, cool Summers, dry fine Autumns, wet Winters, sometimes very cold (which the Dutch totally relish as they can go skating) and wet, windy, highly variable springs.

Right now it is 11C, breezy and dry, unusually dry for the time of year in fact.

I have tomato and cucumbers starting inside and expect to put them outside (if they grow at all) mid May. I do find planting in MM very easy. Our garden soil is pretty sad: we have never actually nourished it, it got depleted by an oversized pear-tree and it is rather sandy from several years of children's sandboxes.

tnoyce

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:54 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum