Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:15 pm

» Our 2017 garden makeover
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:09 pm

» N&C Midwest: February 2017
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:04 pm

» Is this wood correct for building box?
by ralitaco Today at 9:27 pm

» The raised bed of my dreams!
by ralitaco Today at 9:20 pm

» Help - Building new raised beds
by ralitaco Today at 9:06 pm

» Roots...information....
by ralitaco Today at 8:57 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by donnainzone5 Today at 8:48 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by jimmy cee Today at 8:20 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Today at 5:41 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by bigdogrock Today at 5:38 pm

» February 2017 Avatar: Time to Wake Up!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:11 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by CapeCoddess Today at 4:13 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing February 2017?
by trolleydriver Today at 4:03 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals Today at 3:14 pm

» New England February 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 3:04 pm

» NOVA The Origami Revolution
by sanderson Today at 1:11 pm

» -What’s Hiding in Your Organic Fertilizer
by sanderson Today at 2:26 am

» Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:22 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:42 pm

» Sanderson - Virtual Roadtrip Flyover
by trolleydriver 2/17/2017, 9:52 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/17/2017, 6:15 pm

» 2017 Maryland Home & Garden Show -- TIX DRAWING
by sfg4uKim 2/17/2017, 10:51 am

» broccoli stunted
by trolleydriver 2/17/2017, 8:40 am

» has55's R & D Journey;Plant Talk.
by has55 2/17/2017, 3:03 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 2/17/2017, 1:48 am

» Compost source
by jimmy cee 2/16/2017, 9:28 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 2/16/2017, 2:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 2/16/2017, 2:00 pm

» Keeping bees
by sanderson 2/16/2017, 1:57 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How to become a real hottie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to become a real hottie

Post  GWN on 4/2/2012, 2:07 pm

the thing that is great about this site is that SOOOO many things I thought I understood well, I have learned that I had not.
One of them is composting.
I have searched through previous posts and not really found the answer to what I am needing to know.
I have a large pile, approx 4 feet across, perhaps 3 feet high.

It is mixed well with what I feel to be a pretty good mixture of greens to browns, I have taken 3 piles from last year and mixed them all together.
I also have a compost thermometer, and the pile has been sitting for 4 days, it has been watered nicely by MN and today the temp is about 58 degrees, the ground temp in my SFGs is about 44. So it is a little warmer than the soil.
Reading more today about this, I have put a large black tarp over it, to insulate it a bit, and have found a couple of pallets left over from building stuff, and DH MIGHT know where I can find another one, but will use the tarp for extra insulation for a few days.
My question is this....
Since I have just freshly mixed it all up and it is moist, do I just watch the temp until it gets WAY up there, and then turn it?
I have seen places where they say if you really do it well you can get good compost in 2-3 weeks, is this possible?

Thanks

GWN

Posts : 2719
Join date : 2012-01-14
Age : 60
Location : british columbia zone 5a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to become a real hottie

Post  bwaynef on 4/4/2012, 3:00 pm

Check my post count for exactly how much weight you should give my suggestions, but I've heard dried blood/blood meal/nitrogen can be added to quickly boost the heat of a pile.

Someone, please correct me where I'm wrong.

bwaynef

Posts : 128
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Clemson SC, zone 7b-8a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to become a real hottie

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/4/2012, 3:04 pm

@GWN wrote:the thing that is great about this site is that SOOOO many things I thought I understood well, I have learned that I had not.
One of them is composting.
I have searched through previous posts and not really found the answer to what I am needing to know.
I have a large pile, approx 4 feet across, perhaps 3 feet high.

It is mixed well with what I feel to be a pretty good mixture of greens to browns, I have taken 3 piles from last year and mixed them all together.
I also have a compost thermometer, and the pile has been sitting for 4 days, it has been watered nicely by MN and today the temp is about 58 degrees, the ground temp in my SFGs is about 44. So it is a little warmer than the soil.
Reading more today about this, I have put a large black tarp over it, to insulate it a bit, and have found a couple of pallets left over from building stuff, and DH MIGHT know where I can find another one, but will use the tarp for extra insulation for a few days.
My question is this....
Since I have just freshly mixed it all up and it is moist, do I just watch the temp until it gets WAY up there, and then turn it?
I have seen places where they say if you really do it well you can get good compost in 2-3 weeks, is this possible?

Thanks

Temperatures vary but if you can get it up to the 130F area, that would be great. Let it sit there and when it drops to around 100F to 115F, give it a turn

Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 46
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to become a real hottie

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/4/2012, 3:05 pm

@bwaynef wrote:Check my post count for exactly how much weight you should give my suggestions, but I've heard dried blood/blood meal/nitrogen can be added to quickly boost the heat of a pile.

Someone, please correct me where I'm wrong.

You are correct bwayne, but you should also have browns in there too. If you have alot of nitrogen in the pile and not enough browns, it won't cook properly.

Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 46
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to become a real hottie

Post  bwaynef on 4/4/2012, 3:33 pm

@Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:
You are correct bwayne, but you should also have browns in there too. If you have alot of nitrogen in the pile and not enough browns, it won't cook properly.

@GWN wrote:It is mixed well with what I feel to be a pretty good mixture of greens to browns,...

I assumed he had browns.

bwaynef

Posts : 128
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Clemson SC, zone 7b-8a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to become a real hottie

Post  AvaDGardner on 4/4/2012, 4:10 pm

Since my compost pile is 1lb coffee cans (no heat!), I've not paid attention to this topic. Someday though I'll have a yard and a get to be a hottie, too!

Do you hotties use the compost starters/mixes they sell? Are they necessary or do they just replace the brown/green mix you strive for?

AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 631
Join date : 2012-02-17
Location : Garden Grove, CA (still Zone 10b)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to become a real hottie

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/4/2012, 5:21 pm

@AvaDGardner wrote:Since my compost pile is 1lb coffee cans (no heat!), I've not paid attention to this topic. Someday though I'll have a yard and a get to be a hottie, too!

Do you hotties use the compost starters/mixes they sell? Are they necessary or do they just replace the brown/green mix you strive for?

Compost starters aren't necessary. I've recently used dried blood as a way to kind of give it a kick start. That was only after a winter of the pile just sitting there doing nothing.

Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 46
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to become a real hottie

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum