Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello from Pottstown, PA
by sfg4uKim Today at 10:00 pm

» Ground Cherries
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:58 pm

» My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.
by trolleydriver Today at 9:06 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by trolleydriver Today at 8:34 pm

» February 2017 Avatar: Time to Wake Up!
by CapeCoddess Today at 8:24 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by CapeCoddess Today at 8:16 pm

» Bare Root Fruit Trees
by countrynaturals Today at 7:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 6:12 pm

» So. California & Inland Valleys -March / April Planting Guide
by No_Such_Reality Today at 5:55 pm

» Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies.
by sanderson Today at 4:25 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 4:11 pm

» Compost for Mel's Mix
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:45 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Turan Today at 12:23 pm

» Lower South Feb 2017
by ralitaco Today at 11:59 am

» My Solar Dehydrator at Work
by ralitaco Today at 11:32 am

» One Very Happy Earthworm!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:14 am

» My experiences with commercial cedar raised beds
by ralitaco Today at 11:06 am

» Advice and Preparations for Sweet Potatoes in Wisconsin
by Dhooy77 Today at 9:37 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 3:18 am

» Cold garage starters
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:44 pm

» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:22 pm

» New England February 2017
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 1:45 pm

» Spaghetti Squash Recipes
by newbeone Yesterday at 9:20 am

» New compost bin and 4x8 cedar bed
by newbeone Yesterday at 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest: February 2017
by CitizenKate Yesterday at 12:19 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising 2/23/2017, 11:49 pm

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by ralitaco 2/23/2017, 12:38 am

» Our 2017 garden makeover
by CitizenKate 2/22/2017, 11:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Equal amounts of each kind of compost? And a few other questions...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Equal amounts of each kind of compost? And a few other questions...

Post  NowWeAreFour on 4/2/2012, 7:20 pm

Let's just say that we are from the "go big or go home" mindset, and we ended up with a lot more bed space than we realized Shocked I've managed to track down five different kinds of compost (composted cow manure, lobster compost, mushroom compost, Chickity Doo Doo, and leaf/yard compost), but I need a total of 72 c.f. of mixed compost, and this is getting expensive.

Could I get, say, 1 c.y. of bulk "organic compost" from our local garden center and mix the other four types to comprise the rest of what I need? Could I go heavier on the cow and mushroom (less than $4 per 40 lbs) and lighter on the Chickity and lobster (between $8 and $13 per bag)? Do I even need Chickity Doo Doo in equal proportion to the other composts? And what the heck is the difference between humus and compost anyway? There are bags of straight humus at my garden center, which I thought was a finished compost product, but it was with the other composts, which were all labeled "compost."

My head is spinning. I've learned so much here already, but this is one issue I haven't been able to resolve on my own yet. Any help you can offer is much appreciated!

Edited to add that yes, we have the book and read it, but I couldn't determine the answer to these questions from the book. If my answers are in there, please feel free to point me to the right chapter (or a link or other source). Thank you!


Last edited by NowWeAreFour on 4/2/2012, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

NowWeAreFour

Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-04-02
Location : Zone 6A--Central NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Equal amounts of each kind of compost? And a few other questions...

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/2/2012, 7:25 pm

@NowWeAreFour wrote:Let's just say that we are from the "go big or go home" mindset, and we ended up with a lot more bed space than we realized Shocked I've managed to track down five different kinds of compost (composted cow manure, lobster compost, mushroom compost, Chickity Doo Doo, and leaf/yard compost), but I need a total of 72 c.f. of mixed compost, and this is getting expensive.

Could I get, say, 1 c.y. of bulk "organic compost" from our local garden center and mix the other four types to comprise the rest of what I need? Could I go heavier on the cow and mushroom (less than $4 per 40 lbs) and lighter on the Chickity and lobster (between $8 and $13 per bag)? Do I even need Chickity Doo Doo in equal proportion to the other composts? And what the heck is the difference between humus and compost anyway? There are bags of straight humus at my garden center, which I thought was a finished compost product, but it was with the other composts, which were all labeled "compost."

My head is spinning. I've learned so much here already, but this is one issue I haven't been able to resolve on my own yet. Any help you can offer is much appreciated!

I can't really help you but I just want to tell you how awesome it is to have that selection of compost at your disposal. Is there a store nearby that sells that or are you looking to order it?

Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 46
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Equal amounts of each kind of compost? And a few other questions...

Post  NowWeAreFour on 4/2/2012, 7:29 pm

@Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

I can't really help you but I just want to tell you how awesome it is to have that selection of compost at your disposal. Is there a store nearby that sells that or are you looking to order it?

I am definitely grateful! One place has the majority of what I needed (which was good, because they were the ONLY ones who did!), and another place has the lobster compost and more Chickity Doo Doo. A few other centers had one or two elements, but the prices were absolutely insane, and they didn't have enough stock anyway. I really didn't think I'd have such a hard time finding this stuff in the Garden State, of all places!

NowWeAreFour

Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-04-02
Location : Zone 6A--Central NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Equal amounts of each kind of compost? And a few other questions...

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/2/2012, 10:06 pm

@NowWeAreFour wrote:
@Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

I can't really help you but I just want to tell you how awesome it is to have that selection of compost at your disposal. Is there a store nearby that sells that or are you looking to order it?

I am definitely grateful! One place has the majority of what I needed (which was good, because they were the ONLY ones who did!), and another place has the lobster compost and more Chickity Doo Doo. A few other centers had one or two elements, but the prices were absolutely insane, and they didn't have enough stock anyway. I really didn't think I'd have such a hard time finding this stuff in the Garden State, of all places!

Hey...I work in NJ. I spend most of my time in the Plainfield area. Send tomperrin a private message. He lives in NJ too and he might be able to point you in the right direction. You should see pictures of his gardens. WOW.


Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 46
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Equal amounts of each kind of compost? And a few other questions...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum