Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:03 pm

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:45 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:39 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Today at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Today at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Not another compost did I do ok post... yup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not another compost did I do ok post... yup

Post  philct on 4/3/2012, 5:00 pm

Hi folks... So I admit, I was a slow convert... My first SQ bed only has my local nurserys compost, cow manure, and a fertilizer mixed in... Plants are growing well but now I just got a 3 level strawberry pyramid planter that I am going full bore mel's mix in... So here we go...

Shopping for the items is a BLAST!!! I went to 2 garden stores and when I asked for vermiculite, the saleslady said, mel's mix eh?? LOL

I need 24ish Square feet for the planter total. So far I've bought the following:

3.8 CF of Peat Moss

8 CF of vermiculite/perlite

2CF Seafood Compost mix

2CF Cow Manure

I'll hit Home Depot tongiht and grab the scotts humus/manure mix, some forest floor compost and if they have it, some mushroom compost... I also have 2CF of soil left over that I may throw in as well... How'd I do??

philct

Male Posts : 170

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Not another compost did I do ok post... yup

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/3/2012, 5:28 pm

So far...lookin good!

I tried to look at the ingredients on what you already have - make sure it's not too heavy on peat moss filler. If the humus/manure combo is also cow manure, I'd look for a chicken product. Chickety-Doo-Doo or Black Hen or ??? Can't smell any worse than the seaweed, right? LOL Smile Just try to get as many DIFFERENT sources as you can...maybe throw a bag of worm castings in for good measure, if the budget allows... Smile

When you say you have leftover "soil" - do you mean leftover MM or????

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 4/3/2012, 5:32 pm

The seafood stinks lol... I'll check the peat moss components and adjust accordingly... I have chicky-doo doo fertilizer but its granular and in small bags, is that the same thing??

I also could not find worm casings anywhere... I checked two local nursery/garden stores... I'll see what home depot has tonight... If I can't get anything else, does forest floor or mushroom work if I drop my peat moss add-ons?

No,its not mel's mix, just some organic soil from Home Depot

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/3/2012, 5:39 pm

LOL on the seafood - never had the compost - but have used fish fertilizer - YUCK! Chickety-doo-doo is pelleted and I am using it for the first time this year because they don't sell Black Hen in my part of the world and I don't have chickens. The way I understand it, it's basically pelleted chicken manure and another member told me once it got mixed in and wet it would be fine...and she was right. Smile

Even if it's not a full 1/5 - I'd still throw it in because it would be very beneficial. Can you swing doing 1 cu ft of Chickety-Doo-Doo and 1 cu ft of worm castings? Those are both super beneficial! Not sure of your area, but check out hydroponics stores because they almost ALWAYS have worm castings. Also your local craigslist...look up worm castings, compost, manure, etc...

The other composts are good too - just wanting to try to suggest as much variety as I can...that is where I made my mistake my first year...there is a reason Mel says 5 GOOD and DIFFERENT sources! Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  curio on 4/3/2012, 5:51 pm

I would not use the existing soil if it were me. The chances of it messing up the balance is just too great.

curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 4/3/2012, 5:53 pm

@UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:LOL on the seafood - never had the compost - but have used fish fertilizer - YUCK! Chickety-doo-doo is pelleted and I am using it for the first time this year because they don't sell Black Hen in my part of the world and I don't have chickens. The way I understand it, it's basically pelleted chicken manure and another member told me once it got mixed in and wet it would be fine...and she was right. Smile

Even if it's not a full 1/5 - I'd still throw it in because it would be very beneficial. Can you swing doing 1 cu ft of Chickety-Doo-Doo and 1 cu ft of worm castings? Those are both super beneficial! Not sure of your area, but check out hydroponics stores because they almost ALWAYS have worm castings. Also your local craigslist...look up worm castings, compost, manure, etc...

The other composts are good too - just wanting to try to suggest as much variety as I can...that is where I made my mistake my first year...there is a reason Mel says 5 GOOD and DIFFERENT sources! Smile

they had 40 lb bags at the local Agway of the chickey-doo-doo... If what I looked up was right, a 40lb bag is about a cubic foot... I can add 1 of them for sure. As for the casings, I have yet to find a place locally that has them..

Thanks for the tip on the soil, I'll leave it out

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/3/2012, 6:08 pm

A while back a member figured a 40 lb bag to be about .75 cu ft...but I'd still throw in a bag...if the budget allows for 2, that's great...but even one is good! Smile

Just stick with Mel's advice of 5 or more different sources and try to stay away from too much peat and you will be fine! You sound like a true SFGer now...getting excited over finding a different kind of manure! Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 on 4/3/2012, 6:15 pm

philct call your local Agway store and they can check their supplier and order a lot of things that are not listed on the site. It takes about a week to get it in. Mine helped me find the coarse vermiculite and had Frey Brothers mushroom compost.

chjbr63

Male Posts : 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 4/3/2012, 6:35 pm

@UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:A while back a member figured a 40 lb bag to be about .75 cu ft...but I'd still throw in a bag...if the budget allows for 2, that's great...but even one is good! Smile

Just stick with Mel's advice of 5 or more different sources and try to stay away from too much peat and you will be fine! You sound like a true SFGer now...getting excited over finding a different kind of manure! Smile

haha my wife thinks im nuts, but we'll see what she says when I have oodles of crops and strawberries!!! I'll try to get at least one bag of each

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 4/3/2012, 9:21 pm

Whelp, no mushroom or forest compost at Lowes or Home Depot... Here's what I can do...

I have already 4CF of shrimp and seaweed compost and cow manure. I also bought 0.75CF of scott's humus and manure. Locally I can add Chickety Doo Doo 40lb bags and lobster compost. Otherwise I need to fan out and look for other composts to add. What do you think?

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/4/2012, 12:57 am

It sounds like you have 5 different types to me! Smile cheers

UnderTheBlackWalnut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/4/2012, 5:32 am

Phil .. it seems good .

This is just my observation ....

Is forest floor compost composted bark without manures ?

ie

Just ground up bark & bits of wood from the saw mill thats had water on it long enough for it to start rotting enough to be sold as a compost .

If so it may be that it is only intended as a ground cover mulch as it will still be able to rob your MM of nitrogen for several years till it is fully composted when it will start putting nitrogen back into the MM

plantoid

Male Posts : 3638

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/4/2012, 6:00 am

@plantoid wrote:Phil .. it seems good .

This is just my observation ....

Is forest floor compost composted bark without manures ?

ie

Just ground up bark & bits of wood from the saw mill thats had water on it long enough for it to start rotting enough to be sold as a compost .

If so it may be that it is only intended as a ground cover mulch as it will still be able to rob your MM of nitrogen for several years till it is fully composted when it will start putting nitrogen back into the MM

Forest floor compost may have wood in it but it's mostly leaves and such.

Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 6:41 am

@UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:It sounds like you have 5 different types to me! Smile cheers

haha thanks... With the shrimp, lobster, and seaweed, it sounds like I robbed the Red Lobster!!!! I wasn't sure if that was too much "seafood"... I'm waiting for the local hydrophonic store to open, if they have worm castings I'll add those in as well!! Thanks for all the help!!!

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 11:21 am

Ok here is my final compost mix:

4 SQ feet cow manure

4 SQ feet shrimp/seaweed compost

80 lbs chicketty doo doo

1.5 SQ feet cow manure with humus

4 SQ feet leaf compost

I was going to go with lobster, but wanted to save money and there is a free transfer station near my house where I can get leaf compost...

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mastiff07 on 4/4/2012, 2:06 pm

Where in ct are you? I'm trying to figure out where to get the different kinds of compost. I live by new haven.

Mastiff07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 2:48 pm

@Mastiff07 wrote:Where in ct are you? I'm trying to figure out where to get the different kinds of compost. I live by new haven.

The vermiculite, peat, shrimp/seaweed, chicketty-doo-doo, and manure I picked up at Agway on Rt 80 in North Branford. Van Wilgrens in Branford also has the manure and they have Lobster compost.

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 2:48 pm

@philct wrote:
@Mastiff07 wrote:Where in ct are you? I'm trying to figure out where to get the different kinds of compost. I live by new haven.

The vermiculite ($30 for 4CF), peat, shrimp/seaweed, chicketty-doo-doo, and manure I picked up at Agway on Rt 80 in North Branford. Van Wilgrens in Branford also has the manure and they have Lobster compost.

PS there is a saleswoman there, short, thin with glasses who has horses and offered me horse manure compost as well... Ask for her!!!

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum