Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 1st SFG Plan - Any thoughts?
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:10 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:40 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:30 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017
by GWN Today at 10:55 am

» Hello from MN
by tschida42 Today at 10:18 am

» N & C Midwest: March 2017 Brink of Spring
by CitizenKate Today at 10:13 am

» Comfrey
by plantoid Today at 9:51 am

» New England March 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 9:47 am

» Raised beds already made.
by jimmy cee Today at 9:32 am

» Bryan Greenbeard of Minnesota's 2017 Plans
by Greenbeard Today at 8:51 am

» GF Books
by CapeCoddess Today at 7:16 am

» Rolling Boxes
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» Need another type of compost.
by ralitaco Yesterday at 8:56 pm

» Ground Cherries
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:42 pm

» Other Gardening Books!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:25 pm

» Dragon Fruit!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:19 pm

» It's Fertilizer Time; Fruit Trees Down South!
by reynajrainwater Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 7:15 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 5:14 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:10 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:25 pm

» Squares under siege... by grass!
by has55 Yesterday at 1:05 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone in SE Idaho or near by?
by mlpii66 Yesterday at 11:25 am

» Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?
by CitizenKate Yesterday at 12:19 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by mlpii66 3/24/2017, 8:33 pm

» Hello from Southern Illinois
by MrBooker 3/24/2017, 4:23 am

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/23/2017, 9:41 pm

» New from OK City
by Scorpio Rising 3/23/2017, 9:34 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 3/23/2017, 11:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

brown stuff / green stuff

View previous topic View next topic Go down

brown stuff / green stuff

Post  kittykat on 4/3/2012, 8:56 pm

So... if I mow the grass and collect the clippings and dump them straight onto the compost heap, they are green stuff. If I lay them out on a tarp to dry out, are they then brown stuff?

Same with comfrey leaves - I've got tons of it and it's so prolific. If I collect off the leaves and put them into the compost fresh, they are green stuff. If I dry them and crumble them, can I use them as brown stuff?

I read something about it somewhere, but I can't figure out where...

THANKS for your help!!

avatar
kittykat

Posts : 194
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Coastal Britsh Columbia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  littlejo on 4/3/2012, 9:50 pm

I ordered Comfrey seeds, but they have not come up yet. Comfrey, supposedly, does not have much dry part to it, it just 'melts' away. Directions say to just put the leaves beneath your plants that need a nutrient boost. Or to add to the compost bin while green, I think it's like a compost starter! Jo
avatar
littlejo

Female Posts : 1532
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 63
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/3/2012, 11:17 pm

@kittykat wrote:So... if I mow the grass and collect the clippings and dump them straight onto the compost heap, they are green stuff. If I lay them out on a tarp to dry out, are they then brown stuff?

Same with comfrey leaves - I've got tons of it and it's so prolific. If I collect off the leaves and put them into the compost fresh, they are green stuff. If I dry them and crumble them, can I use them as brown stuff?

I read something about it somewhere, but I can't figure out where...

THANKS for your help!!


I think the grass would have to dry out completely(think something along the lines of straw) for them to be considered "brown".
If you cut the grass and let it dry for just a few days, I would call them "green". It's not that you're trying to turn them into a "brown", you just want the grass to dry out somewhat so it doesn't get all gloppy and gooey when added to the compost.
avatar
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 46
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  yolos on 4/4/2012, 12:20 am

The following information is taken from The Rodale Book of Composting -

"Freshly gathered green clippings (grass) are exceedingly rich in nitrogen and will heat up on their own if pulled into a pile. But, because of their high water content, they will also pack down and become slimy. This can be avoided by adding grass clippings in thin layers, alternating with leaves, garbage, manure, and other materials, thus preventing them from clumping together. Grass clippings and leaves can be turned into finished compost in 2 weeks if the heap is chopped and turned every 3 days."

It has been 3 months and my pile is still not completely composted (maybe because it is winter and I was only turning every 1 - 2 weeks instead of every 3 days.

"Clippings that have been allowed to dry out will have lost much of their nitrogen content but are still valuable as an energy source and to absorb excess moisture".
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3002
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  kittykat on 4/4/2012, 12:42 am

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated!
avatar
kittykat

Posts : 194
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Coastal Britsh Columbia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  plantoid on 4/4/2012, 5:44 am

Add a layer of cut comfrey to the compost every time it's grown enough to get a decent amount of it.

It will compost and give up it's goodness to the rest of the heap. Composted comfrey is truly one of natures best & most natural plant foods .

Remake your comfrey bed somewhere else every five or six years or so by taking cuttings to ensure it does not lose its quality . Then when the second patch is up & running dig / rototill in the old patch & add some manures .
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3671
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  camprn on 4/4/2012, 6:39 am

@Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:
@kittykat wrote:So... if I mow the grass and collect the clippings and dump them straight onto the compost heap, they are green stuff. If I lay them out on a tarp to dry out, are they then brown stuff?

Same with comfrey leaves - I've got tons of it and it's so prolific. If I collect off the leaves and put them into the compost fresh, they are green stuff. If I dry them and crumble them, can I use them as brown stuff?

I read something about it somewhere, but I can't figure out where...

THANKS for your help!!


I think the grass would have to dry out completely(think something along the lines of straw) for them to be considered "brown".
If you cut the grass and let it dry for just a few days, I would call them "green". It's not that you're trying to turn them into a "brown", you just want the grass to dry out somewhat so it doesn't get all gloppy and gooey when added to the compost.
green= nitrogen; brown= carbon
They are brown but the thing to remember is that grass is high in NITROGEN. While the level of nitrogen is a bit lower when dried, I believe it its still considered green. I use most of my grass clippings when they are fresh, but I sprinkle them lightly and thinly to avoid the masses of slime as big clumps of the stuff are thrown into the compost. If I am not turning the compost the same day I am mowing the lawn, I just dump the grass clippings next to the compost pile. I will use the clippings the next time I turn the pile. What a Face

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14083
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/4/2012, 2:32 pm

@camprn wrote:They are brown but the thing to remember is that grass is high in NITROGEN.

Hey camprn.....what do you mean by "They are brown"?

avatar
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 46
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  camprn on 4/4/2012, 4:34 pm

@Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:
@camprn wrote:They are brown but the thing to remember is that grass is high in NITROGEN.

Hey camprn.....what do you mean by "They are brown"?

When the grass clippings dry out they lose their green color and a bit of the nitrogen but not enough to call it 'carbon' when talking about compost.

Does that help? Sometimes I am not very good at explaining myself... Rolling Eyes Sorry about that. Wink

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14083
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/4/2012, 5:25 pm

@camprn wrote:
@Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:
@camprn wrote:They are brown but the thing to remember is that grass is high in NITROGEN.

Hey camprn.....what do you mean by "They are brown"?

When the grass clippings dry out they lose their green color and a bit of the nitrogen but not enough to call it 'carbon' when talking about compost.

Does that help? Sometimes I am not very good at explaining myself... Rolling Eyes Sorry about that. Wink

Ahh yes.

Brown in color. Gotcha

I guess the only way to turn grass into a "brown" or source or carbon is if you would dry it completely and turn it straw-like ....if that would be possible
avatar
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 46
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: brown stuff / green stuff

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum