Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

by countrynaturals Today at 1:18 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 9:39 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 9:00 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:59 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:41 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Had someone tell me today...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Had someone tell me today...

Post  givvmistamps on 4/8/2012, 5:13 pm

@Turan wrote:From my perspective SQF is a wonderful gateway to gardening, especially for veggies. Because of the clear cut format it is not too over whelming to go from thinking about to doing. It is standardizing and simplifying what was called French Intensive gardening 40 years ago. 4X4 is a doable commitment for almost any one, and will give a positive feed back in many different ways.
A study of the carbon footprint of food grown in a garden using ANSFG methods versus French intensive methods would be interesting to see. I think it would start out being heavily in favor of the FI and then as the SFG matured over the years it would equalize.

It warms the cockles of my heart to find a place so full of enthusiasm for gardening, so many people jumping from contemplating to doing. I have given several people these books or links to similar set ups because it is so doable.

Hey, thanks for the link! That must be the other method my prof used when she developed her plans. Her growing paths were raised up a bit due to all the compost she'd added, and I now remember her referring to double-digging.

I really need to pull out my class notes & such!

givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 4/8/2012, 7:09 pm

@givvmistamps wrote:

Hey, thanks for the link! That must be the other method my prof used when she developed her plans. Her growing paths were raised up a bit due to all the compost she'd added, and I now remember her referring to double-digging.

I really need to pull out my class notes & such!

She also probably heaped her good soil from paths to beds.

Double digging.... that is so much work that it scares a lot of people and is also held in a sort of extremist fixation by some. It has its uses and was itself a reaction against the sub-compacted soils that is a symptom of gardens that have been tilled every year at the same depth. It is really good if you have drainage troubles and it can make available nutrients, especially minerals, from deep soils. Recognizing it is not needed for a good bed was one of Mel's points. I have done it once. Did not see the need here except when determined to dig out thistle roots all the way down.

Turan

Female Posts : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/8/2012, 7:40 pm

This was in the Piedmont of Virginia, where the soil is almost completely clay. She had to do a cover crop the first couple years to get the hard-pan broken up, compost the plants when they were through with their job, then start adding compost to her plots. It took her quite a bit of work, and the double-digging was necessary, but she found this really funky tool that made the job a lot easier without using a tiller that wouldn't go deep enough. She had to cover-crop the walking paths and quite a ways farther out from her intended garden, too, just so the plots wouldn't act like water troughs in a heavy rain.

Talk about dedicated! But she took it in parts, and was in the process of cover-cropping another section of land so she could expand her operation. I believe their goal was for her husband to be able to quit his job and join her in the farm work. Her operation was too big for her to justify the cost of building and filling boxes for everything; she sold produce to several local restaurants as well as at the farmer's market, sold eggs from her chicken operation, they raised a beef cow or two each year for their own use, and she was looking at getting more livestock.

She was my hero by the end of that semester! Looking at how I write about her, I guess she's still my hero. I've been thinking I should look her up and send her some photos of my little plots.

givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum