Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England Nov 2017
by trolleydriver Today at 8:53 am

» Today's Harvest
by trolleydriver Today at 8:51 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 8:49 am

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:26 am

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Clumps in my mel mix

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clumps in my mel mix

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 6:57 pm

So when I made my first ever Mel's mix today, I noticed the compost, or at least the leaf compost and maybe manure was clumpy. Does that mess with the mix when you put it in the box?? I ended up breaking up as many clumps as I can, most were golf ball size or smaller, which took a LONG time!!! anyone have any advice, comments?
avatar
philct

Male Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Connecticut Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  camprn on 4/4/2012, 7:02 pm

Let it dry out a little bit then use a garden fork to mix or put on the garden cloves and break the clumps by hand. Rub the clumps between the palms. Big clumps are not attractive or effective but clumps near an inch big, no problem.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 7:44 pm

@camprn wrote:Let it dry out a little bit then use a garden fork to mix or put on the garden cloves and break the clumps by hand. Rub the clumps between the palms. Big clumps are not attractive or effective but clumps near an inch big, no problem.

Gloves... So for the first part of today I wore no gloves... I can still smell the manure. LOL..

Seriously, thanks for the tip. I broke up the ones larger than a golfball thinking they may disturb the mix. The smaller ones I left, but will work more on them tomorrow.
avatar
philct

Male Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Connecticut Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  camprn on 4/4/2012, 7:58 pm

@philct wrote:
@camprn wrote:Let it dry out a little bit then use a garden fork to mix or put on the garden cloves and break the clumps by hand. Rub the clumps between the palms. Big clumps are not attractive or effective but clumps near an inch big, no problem.

Gloves... So for the first part of today I wore no gloves... I can still smell the manure. LOL..

Seriously, thanks for the tip. I broke up the ones larger than a golfball thinking they may disturb the mix. The smaller ones I left, but will work more on them tomorrow.
LOL, I am a terrible typist, I'm so glad you figgered out I meant Gloves.

I am a big fan of garden gloves and a nice little scrub brush next to the kitchen sink.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 8:04 pm

@camprn wrote:
@philct wrote:
@camprn wrote:Let it dry out a little bit then use a garden fork to mix or put on the garden cloves and break the clumps by hand. Rub the clumps between the palms. Big clumps are not attractive or effective but clumps near an inch big, no problem.

Gloves... So for the first part of today I wore no gloves... I can still smell the manure. LOL..

Seriously, thanks for the tip. I broke up the ones larger than a golfball thinking they may disturb the mix. The smaller ones I left, but will work more on them tomorrow.
LOL, I am a terrible typist, I'm so glad you figgered out I meant Gloves.

I am a big fan of garden gloves and a nice little scrub brush next to the kitchen sink.



We're to be best friends as I didn't even see it was misspelled Did you happen to see any of the pics of my mix? It seems so light colored?
avatar
philct

Male Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Connecticut Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  camprn on 4/4/2012, 8:09 pm

@philct wrote: Did you happen to see any of the pics of my mix? It seems so light colored?
It looks pretty normal, because of the vermiculite. When you water it of course it will appear darker. Next year when you add more compost it will get darker too. Tell me, what kinds of compost did you use again?

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 8:11 pm

@camprn wrote:
@philct wrote: Did you happen to see any of the pics of my mix? It seems so light colored?
It looks pretty normal, because of the vermiculite. When you water it of course it will appear darker. Next year when you add more compost it will get darker too. Tell me, what kinds of compost did you use again?

cow manure, shrimp and seaweed compost, cow with humus, leaf compost, and chickitty doo doo... after I mixed it I found out I can get worn castings after all, about 30 minutes away, and also lobster compost.. so next batch, maybe ill mix those in and cut back on chicken and cow.
avatar
philct

Male Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Connecticut Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  camprn on 4/4/2012, 8:21 pm

Oh sounds good. I LOVE the lobstah compost. If you can get the worm castings and hold it aside, you may use it to topdress heavier feeding plants as the season goes on.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 8:27 pm

@camprn wrote:Oh sounds good. I LOVE the lobstah compost. If you can get the worm castings and hold it aside, you may use it to topdress heavier feeding plants as the season goes on.



whats your thought on chickitty doo doo? I took black walnuts advice and threw in 2 bags... It sounds like it'll do a great job, but all my research it seems 50% love 50% hate it.

FYI: RN?
avatar
philct

Male Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Connecticut Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  camprn on 4/4/2012, 8:59 pm

if chickity doo doo is composted chicken poo, it is probably good.... don't over think it, you have a good variety. It's time to plant your peas and spinach and beets. Wink

RN? what? sunny

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 9:13 pm

@camprn wrote:if chickity doo doo is composted chicken poo, it is probably good.... don't over think it, you have a good variety. It's time to plant your peas and spinach and beets. Wink

RN? what? sunny



camp rn, are you an rn? My wife and I both are Very Happy
avatar
philct

Male Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Connecticut Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  camprn on 4/4/2012, 9:23 pm

Oh RN, yuppers I'm a Real Nurse Wink Pleased to meetcha!

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  chjbr63 on 4/4/2012, 9:29 pm

Hey guys I'm a bad speller too, I went to the " How To" on the home page and there is a post on getting a spell checker.
avatar
chjbr63

Male Posts : 106
Join date : 2012-03-27
Age : 54
Location : Northeast PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  philct on 4/4/2012, 9:38 pm

@chjbr63 wrote:Hey guys I'm a bad speller too, I went to the " How To" on the home page and there is a post on getting a spell checker.



Who needs a speelcheeker
avatar
philct

Male Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Connecticut Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/4/2012, 9:38 pm

@philct wrote:
whats your thought on chickitty doo doo? I took black walnuts advice and threw in 2 bags... It sounds like it'll do a great job, but all my research it seems 50% love 50% hate it.

LOL - this is where I have to remember where I live. We here in the midwestern prairie are a ways away from most lobster or seaweed compost. Smile So when we can't get lobster, we go for the chicken! Smile
avatar
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Join date : 2011-04-18
Age : 51
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  AvaDGardner on 4/5/2012, 2:01 am

Does chicky doo doo have a weird smell?

They use chicken manure a lot to top-dress landscaping around offices here, and on the freeway-edged fields. It has a um...distinctive fragrance! You can also smell the poultry farms miles before you get to them.

I would hate to bring that into my boxes!
avatar
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-02-17
Location : Garden Grove, CA (still Zone 10b)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  philct on 4/5/2012, 6:22 am

@AvaDGardner wrote:Does chicky doo doo have a weird smell?

They use chicken manure a lot to top-dress landscaping around offices here, and on the freeway-edged fields. It has a um...distinctive fragrance! You can also smell the poultry farms miles before you get to them.

I would hate to bring that into my boxes!

Only when I first opened it, once mixed in it went away.
avatar
philct

Male Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Connecticut Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/5/2012, 10:22 am

@philct wrote:

Only when I first opened it, once mixed in it went away.

+1
avatar
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Join date : 2011-04-18
Age : 51
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  philct on 4/5/2012, 2:31 pm

@philct wrote:
@AvaDGardner wrote:Does chicky doo doo have a weird smell?

They use chicken manure a lot to top-dress landscaping around offices here, and on the freeway-edged fields. It has a um...distinctive fragrance! You can also smell the poultry farms miles before you get to them.

I would hate to bring that into my boxes!

Only when I first opened it, once mixed in it went away.



Now I have a few flies who seem to LOVE the compost choices I made LOL
avatar
philct

Male Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Connecticut Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clumps in my mel mix

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum