Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by walshevak Today at 11:22 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 10:53 am

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 10:45 am

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by yolos Today at 10:41 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by yolos Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:04 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by newbeone Today at 8:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by plantoid Today at 7:08 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:05 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:05 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» In between
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 8:59 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Yesterday at 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Big Stuff

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Big Stuff

Post  camprn on 10/6/2012, 1:33 pm

I may have some big stuff carrots, but I am waiting for frost before lifting them. carrot

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/6/2012, 3:55 pm

JOSH WROTE :-

I'm going to give the BIG STUFF a go again next year, I've learned a lot from this year, and I think I can do better next year!

Josh ,
Think about get an animal manure based MM going for the big beds this month , use plenty of straw ... about one 56 pound bale per five cubic feet of manures & beddings turn it through out winter when the weather allows . Keep it covered and moist for best results.
By spring you will have an A1 growth medium.

If your going for the real biggies it's easier to use a deep sunken pit for the the manure ... bring it about two feeet above ground , set plants in the outer edges and grow the crop put onto a ( well padded with clean straw ) pallet .
This is so you can get the all terrain forklift or tractor wwith front forks etc in to move the big stuff if needs be .

Perhaps also get the comfrey and seaweed teas brewing by first of March so they are ready in time for use via a drip system to the bed feed water tank .

Have a look at the dates that people in the know start their seeds off & the condition they do it under , it is often much earlier than you first think .. it is so they get the longest growing period possible.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 10/6/2012, 9:05 pm

can anyone guess what this veggie is?

we found it while we were cleaning up some of the garden area's

i think it may qualify as BIG STUFF ...... rofl ... rofl

it weighs in at 2lbs and 4 oz rock on

hugs
lol! rose

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 10/6/2012, 9:15 pm

Ummm...Boston Pickling Cucumber on steroids?

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 10/6/2012, 9:31 pm

YEP!!!

at first we thought it was some kind of squash LOL rofl

the mega cucumber next to it's brother who is the right size

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 10/6/2012, 10:07 pm

@FamilyGardening wrote:...snip...the mega cucumber next to it's brother who is the right size

hugs
rose

golly gee whiz rofl I guessed right!

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the vine that had that cuke? Did it stop producing? I've always read/been told not to let them go ripe because it sends a message to the plant to stop makin' babies. Was this the case with yours?

Last edited by mollyhespra on 10/6/2012, 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 10/6/2012, 11:28 pm

enteresting you asked that Molly......

we were wondering why the healthy looking vine didnt put out much....maybe because this big guy was on it What a Face the cucumber was between the box and fence.....laying up against the box...laying on the ground.....

hmmm

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 10/8/2012, 2:23 pm

For General info: Its true that when a plant is going to seed, like that cucumber with the humungous fruit ripening to which it was giving all its energy, the plant will not produce many, if any, new fruits. Its using its energy to reproduce only.
A good reason to keep picking when the fruits are small and young so the plant keeps making more and more. babies.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4610

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on 10/20/2012, 1:04 pm

@FamilyGardening wrote:YEP!!!

at first we thought it was some kind of squash LOL

the mega cucumber next to it's brother who is the right size

hugs
rose

WHOA!!!! Rose what a big cucumber! Add that to the BIG STUFF photo album!!

I have something planned for the BIG STUFF that was posted in the BIG STUFF photo album...I'll keep you all posted! Wink

Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

View user profile http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on 10/21/2012, 12:14 pm

I got something BIG to show you...it's not a vegetable...but I want you to see it.
My mom had some flower bulbs planted in one of the SFGs, she decided she wanted them moved to the SFGs for flowers so she had me move them. She had this asiatic lily bulb and when I pulled it out of the SFG it was huge, she said she had never seen one that big before, it must have had about a dozen normal size ones growing around it. I knew the flower bulbs really like Mels Mix from the way they multiply. The little one in is how big the BIG one was when it was planted, and it's been in the SFG about 2 years now.

Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 10/21/2012, 12:21 pm

That's AWESOME! My Asiatic lilies suffered terribly this year from the lily beetle. Maybe moving them into Mel's Mix would make them stronger, to overcome the beetle.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 10/21/2012, 9:02 pm

@Josh wrote:I got something BIG to show you...it's not a vegetable...but I want you to see it.
My mom had some flower bulbs planted in one of the SFGs, she decided she wanted them moved to the SFGs for flowers so she had me move them. She had this asiatic lily bulb and when I pulled it out of the SFG it was huge, she said she had never seen one that big before, it must have had about a dozen normal size ones growing around it. I knew the flower bulbs really like Mels Mix from the way they multiply. The little one in is how big the BIG one was when it was planted, and it's been in the SFG about 2 years now.

Fantastic. My tulip bulbs have done quite well in MM. Another project for next year - get rid of the flower garden that is plain dirt and make it into a MM one. I know it will be less work in the long run.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 627

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/22/2012, 9:11 am

Great Granny , all my flower beds are a good 18 inches of ( composted down to about 6 inches ) neat uncomposted stable muck then a layer of leaf mould them topped to the 36 inches with an animal dung & beddings based MM .

Dwarf dahlia are nearly four feet tall . 30 inch forecast African marigolds are over three feet tall . Bedding gerannuims are over two feet tall . Gladoli reached five feet tall . The colours and greenery are fantastic and the plants are very very healthy .

The bulbs gave some amazing flowers , though this January 2013 being the end of the first full year of the beds being deep MM spring onwards should out perform everything that has come up this year... I just hope I've managed to knock the weeds on the head once and for all .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 10/22/2012, 10:46 am

@plantoid wrote:Great Granny , all my flower beds are a good 18 inches of ( composted down to about 6 inches ) neat uncomposted stable muck then a layer of leaf mould them topped to the 36 inches with an animal dung & beddings based MM .

Dwarf dahlia are nearly four feet tall . 30 inch forecast African marigolds are over three feet tall . Bedding gerannuims are over two feet tall . Gladoli reached five feet tall . The colours and greenery are fantastic and the plants are very very healthy .

The bulbs gave some amazing flowers , though this January 2013 being the end of the first full year of the beds being deep MM spring onwards should out perform everything that has come up this year... I just hope I've managed to knock the weeds on the head once and for all .

From the photos you have shared, your flowers are definitely happy and healthy. 5 foot gladiola is amazing. Weeds? Well, that is one thing I will definitely need to address. Quack grass is a big thing in my region. Hopefully by re-doing the entire area I will finally remove that problem.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 627

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on 10/23/2012, 8:09 pm

@plantoid wrote:Great Granny , all my flower beds are a good 18 inches of ( composted down to about 6 inches ) neat uncomposted stable muck then a layer of leaf mould them topped to the 36 inches with an animal dung & beddings based MM .

AWESOME!!!

You know I was growing that big pumpkin for a fall contest the city was having this year, Chubby Chumpkins weighed 54 pounds when he died early....you know what the winner of the contest weighed...57 pounds...and they won $300.00. The state fair winner wasn't much bigger than that...look out next year...I'm gonna win that contest! Twisted Evil

Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 10/23/2012, 8:40 pm

@Josh wrote:

AWESOME!!!

You know I was growing that big pumpkin for a fall contest the city was having this year, Chubby Chumpkins weighed 54 pounds when he died early....you know what the winner of the contest weighed...57 pounds...and they won $300.00. The state fair winner wasn't much bigger than that...look out next year...I'm gonna win that contest! Twisted Evil
CLICK!

camprn

Back to top Go down

baby parsnips ?

Post  plantoid on 11/4/2012, 12:36 pm

Just had to dash out in the lashing rain and harvest three carrots and a baby parsnip for our Sunday evening family meal .
It came out so easy ( benefits of extra deep MM ) I hardly got wet collecting them .
Pardon my whiskers & dishevelled state .. the parsnip is much longer and much more tidy.
We measured it and it is 67 .5 cm long . ( approx 26 & 1/2 inches long )

Not bad for a supposedly ball parsnip that should never exceed 12 inches in length .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 11/4/2012, 2:47 pm

HOLY SMOKES! very IMPRESSIVE! What a Face

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 11/4/2012, 3:01 pm

WoW! That's a beast!

RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 3851

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 12/11/2012, 11:50 am

@southern gardener wrote:This isn't a big "fruit" it's a big plant. Thought I'd share. If it's in the wrong spot, please move me!! This tomato plant is 12' across and no end in sight What a Face What a Face ! Crazy. All from a little tiny 1" seedling I found growing in some gravel a couple of months ago! It has literally hundreds of baby tomatoes and blossoms on it...there's a water bottle in front for "reference" size

Well, we finally pulled out "The Beast" and planted onions, garlic and tons of flower bulbs. I just went out to check on things, and there are HUNDREDS of baby tomato and marigold flowers sprouting! The Beast lives on! haha!!

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 12/11/2012, 3:14 pm

@plantoid wrote:Just had to dash out in the lashing rain and harvest three carrots and a baby parsnip for our Sunday evening family meal .
It came out so easy ( benefits of extra deep MM ) I hardly got wet collecting them .
Pardon my whiskers & dishevelled state .. the parsnip is much longer and much more tidy.
We measured it and it is 67 .5 cm long . ( approx 26 & 1/2 inches long )

Not bad for a supposedly ball parsnip that should never exceed 12 inches in length .

Wow I missed this, that is amazing!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 12/11/2012, 3:22 pm

@southern gardener wrote:
@southern gardener wrote:This isn't a big "fruit" it's a big plant. Thought I'd share. If it's in the wrong spot, please move me!! This tomato plant is 12' across and no end in sight What a Face What a Face ! Crazy. All from a little tiny 1" seedling I found growing in some gravel a couple of months ago! It has literally hundreds of baby tomatoes and blossoms on it...there's a water bottle in front for "reference" size

Well, we finally pulled out "The Beast" and planted onions, garlic and tons of flower bulbs. I just went out to check on things, and there are HUNDREDS of baby tomato and marigold flowers sprouting! The Beast lives on! haha!!

That is just amazing Southern Gardener! You could feed the whole neighborhood with the tomatoes from that plant!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 12/11/2012, 5:47 pm

@Triciasgarden wrote:
@southern gardener wrote:

That is just amazing Southern Gardener! You could feed the whole neighborhood with the tomatoes from that plant!

Tricia: We did feed lots of people from this one plant. We pulled it out a week or so ago, and there were literally hundreds of tomatoes still on the vine. During its lifespan, we cut it back twice. It was over 12' wide in either direction both times! We cleaned up what we could, same with the marigolds. Hundreds of little seed pods. We planted about 100 onion and about 50 garlic bulbs, and about 100 tulip, hyacinth and ranancula bulbs and watered. A few days later, there is a "lawn" of marigolds and tomatoes growing! I don't know whether to uproot them or let them go. I don't want to choke out the onions, garlic and flowers? What to do? This soil is obviously very fertile!! What a Face

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BIG STUFF Top Banana Awards!

Post  Josh on 1/7/2013, 4:40 pm

Here is the results of our BIG STUFF 2012 Project!

I'd like to thank all of the SFG members who participated in the BIG Stuff Project.

ericam
walshevak
FamilyGardening
Bob
llama Momma
Plantoid
SouthernGarden
angela.cawein
CarolyPhillips
greatgranny

If all of you would send me a private message with your name and address I will mail you a Top Banana Award!

If I have missed anyone please let me know.

When your planning for your 2013 garden, be sure to add some BIG STUFF for this year!

Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 1/7/2013, 5:04 pm

I love it Josh Very Happy , had to turn the sound up a bit though Laughing
Happy new year for 2013

plantoid

View user profile