Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by trolleydriver Today at 7:28 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:46 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:31 pm

» Julia Child's French Onion Soup
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:18 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:56 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Indoor Container Garden - City Living
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» who has chickens
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:49 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by plantoid Yesterday at 10:59 am

» has55's R & D Journey
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:00 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals 12/16/2017, 10:26 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Roseinarosecity 12/16/2017, 10:03 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by No_Such_Reality 12/16/2017, 5:36 pm

» Areogardening
by trolleydriver 12/16/2017, 1:45 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by countrynaturals 12/16/2017, 11:55 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by saganco 12/16/2017, 11:11 am

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:57 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:53 pm

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by sanderson 12/15/2017, 1:41 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan 12/15/2017, 7:51 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/14/2017, 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/14/2017, 6:32 am

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Shade cloth??

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shade cloth??

Post  floridagardengirl on 4/6/2012, 7:12 pm

I live in zone 10, so it is already very hot here. I want to protect my lettuce transplants with a shade cover of some sort, so I designed a cute little box to go over each plant that is made of pvc. I had planned on attaching shade cloth to the pvc to cover the plants; however, the only shade cloth I can find locally is really expensive. Do you guys know of any alternatives?

Thanks in advance!
floridagardengirl

Female Posts : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shade cloth??

Post  camprn on 4/6/2012, 7:13 pm

Welcome to the SFG Forum.
How about thrift store sheer curtains?

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 4/6/2012, 7:21 pm

Old sheets

Tulle, might need more than one layer in your climate.

Bulk shadecloth on the 'net. I don't know a thing about the prices.
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1;ft1_shade_houses_material;ft1_sunblocker_bulk_shade_cloth_1.html
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  floridagardengirl on 4/6/2012, 7:34 pm

I like to sew, so I have a lot of scrap fabric laying around. Would a simple cotton, sheer organza, muslin, or cheese cloth be better? Also, which color of fabric would be better? I know that some tend to attract heat.
floridagardengirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/6/2012, 8:24 pm

Since I have no practical knowledge about shade cloth, I would probably go look on Google for photos or videos about making them.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 4/6/2012, 9:45 pm

I use inexpensive cheesecloth I get at Jo-Ann's Fabric Stores. You can use it in one layer of two depending on the depth of shade you want. Works for me.

I even use it over my coldframe to shade lettuce plants.
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4695

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floridagardengirl on 4/6/2012, 10:19 pm

Thank you. That's what I was thinking of using. I just wasn't sure if it would work. I will have to pick some up at Joann's tomorrow.

floridagardengirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner on 4/6/2012, 11:39 pm

If you look around on the web, you'll find how much light they shield out and how much air flow they have (for internal temp).

Another term is "floating row cover."

Even with cheesecloth there are three grades. QuiltBea's looks like grade 10, gauze. I think the other 2 are 50, and 90. Then you have to consider how wide it is...some are 36 some are 60+. I found a pre-packed cloth at Home Depot online that was less than $4 for the roll. I don't remember the numbers though.

If you look through your scraps you might find the perfect solution there!

Do show us your results!
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  backwoodsgirl123 on 4/28/2012, 11:58 am

The old timers used to use slat fencing before shadecloth was invented. Used to use it to cover their greenhouse benches and ferns in the field.

You can get it at Tractor Supply. I think it comes in a 50' roll. The fence boards are 1" and they are wired together.

Also, if you get shadecloth, get "knitted shadecloth" because it doesn't have to be hemmed or grommetted. Just cut it to length and tie cord through it.
backwoodsgirl123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tiff2 on 4/28/2012, 11:01 pm

Years ago, I made amazing shade/protection structures out of redwood and cedar fence so they would be weather resistant.
I will do my best to describe them. You will need a table saw to rip the wood to width and cut to length. I made 10 of them so I set up an assembly line. This is a great project to get your handy whoever involved with.

For one foldable a-frame style cover, cut 4 2" W x 28" long legs from 1" thick redwood.
Rip cedar fence pickets into 1 1/4" wide x however long you want your a-frame. I went with 36".
Place 2 leg pieces together end to end and attach a 2" hinge. Repeat.

Space cedar pickets pcs. 1" apart down the length of redwood legs, hinge side down, extending them 3" beyond outside edge of legs. I started placement from bottom at 4" up. Use screws to attach. Repeat down other side. When you set them up they will resemble a 2 sided highway snow fence with hinges at top like this image:

I sealed the wood and these have lasted for 12 years now. They fold so storage is easy.
When placed over your plants they protect from sun, wind and hail. I have also stapled plastic sheet to them for early and late season frost protection. You can stand them on end as well for directional protection. When I moved to CA my sister who still lives in WY inherited them.
For the years of use they have provided it was a time worthy project.

For a quick inexpensive shade cloth, try light weight, non-woven Pellon interfacing you will find at fabric store. That stuff can take a beating. It is made of polyester so UV wont break it down like nylon or cotton.
tiff2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/29/2012, 10:07 am

@backwoodsgirl123 wrote:The old timers used to use slat fencing before shadecloth was invented. Used to use it to cover their greenhouse benches and ferns in the field.

You can get it at Tractor Supply. I think it comes in a 50' roll. The fence boards are 1" and they are wired together.
in the north country we call this snow fencing. Very Happy Very Happy

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  backwoodsgirl123 on 5/3/2012, 3:44 am

@camprn wrote:
@backwoodsgirl123 wrote:The old timers used to use slat fencing before shadecloth was invented. Used to use it to cover their greenhouse benches and ferns in the field.

in the north country we call this snow fencing. Very Happy Very Happy

Oh, that's cool! (no pun intended)

But it does work!Very Happy
backwoodsgirl123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BAKED my fall seedlings ACK!

Post  hruten on 7/19/2012, 1:43 pm

It turns out my floating row cover didn't shade my box, just BAKED it affraid Luckily most of what I put in was seed, so I think the damage is minimal.

Please, I need suggestions for a decent shade cover. Do I get burlap? shade netting? Use an old white sheet?

Also, I thought I was supposed to cover the whole box for bug reasons, but do I need to leave the sides open instead? I built one of the wagon frames over it this afternoon, so the cloth can attach to it and I can leave the sides open to vent. Here I go with my spade again!!
hruten

Female Posts : 159

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/19/2012, 2:12 pm

@hruten wrote:It turns out my floating row cover didn't shade my box, just BAKED it affraid Luckily most of what I put in was seed, so I think the damage is minimal.

Please, I need suggestions for a decent shade cover. Do I get burlap? shade netting? Use an old white sheet?

Also, I thought I was supposed to cover the whole box for bug reasons, but do I need to leave the sides open instead? I built one of the wagon frames over it this afternoon, so the cloth can attach to it and I can leave the sides open to vent. Here I go with my spade again!!
What are you trying to shade? What kind of bugs are you trying to keep out... I am not sure I am understanding .... Why do you want to cover things?

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  hruten on 7/19/2012, 2:19 pm

Hi Camprn, here I go again.

I thought my new 4x4 with fall items planted (seeds mostly) could use some shade. The box gets sun from about 8 am until about 3-4pm. It just seems like a lot of sun/heat for fall and cooler weather plants. I also thought I read in the book (and here) that seedlings need to be shaded? As for the bugs, I was hoping to keep the cabbage moths out. I'm not fond of picking off cabbage loopers.

*sigh* :scratch:
hruten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 7/19/2012, 2:21 pm

for creating shade, you can use just about anything but the fabric shouldn't touch the plants, there should be openings all around to allow the air to circulate. otherwise it becomes a greenhouse.

for protecting from bugs, you don't really need a cloth but rather a netting, the finer the better. i use tulle, which keeps out even very small bugs. this too must not be allowed to touch the plants, because bugs can still nibble and lay eggs thru the holes.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 7/19/2012, 2:25 pm

@hruten wrote:I thought my new 4x4 with fall items planted (seeds mostly) could use some shade. The box gets sun from about 8 am until about 3-4pm. It just seems like a lot of sun/heat for fall and cooler weather plants.

they'll be fine, in fact they will probably germinate faster in the heat and will get well established before their season gets here.

I also thought I read in the book (and here) that seedlings need to be shaded? As for the bugs, I was hoping to keep the cabbage moths out. I'm not fond of picking off cabbage loopers.

*sigh* :scratch:

they don't have to be shaded, unless the sun is relentless and even then as long as they are getting enough water they will be fine. they certainly won't bolt, because the days are getting shorter, and the season WILL cool down. Smile

you will probably find that you have much less problem with cool-season crops when planting for fall. the season when bugs are laying eggs is mostly over. in the deep south we sometimes have a second season for bugs, but that also means we have a second season for harvesting from the garden, so it works out.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  hruten on 7/19/2012, 2:31 pm

You guys are the best!
thanks
hruten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/19/2012, 3:07 pm

I use burlap. I love it!

CC
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/19/2012, 5:25 pm

I agree with rowena. Once the plants get established and if it remains very hot, you could put down a thin layer of mulch to keep the ground cooler, but the plants can still get the sun they need to grow well... I cover with tulle to keep out cabbage moths.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 on 7/21/2012, 9:27 am

I have been using burlap, it lets the air circulate and rain get through , that is if there is any rain!
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/21/2012, 9:41 pm

What's 'rain'???
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity on 7/22/2012, 2:13 am

I have lots of bell peppers and sun-scalding is beginning to be a problem. How about patio umbrellas? I have 5 canvas patio umbrellas my husband picked up free when a restaurant closed. I can stick them in the ground to cover the bells. Their height and their angle are adjustable. It might look a little funny but I know they are big enough to cover my 4x4's. Has anybody else used umbrellas?

Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 208

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 7/22/2012, 7:28 am

@Roseinarosecity wrote:I have lots of bell peppers and sun-scalding is beginning to be a problem. How about patio umbrellas? I have 5 canvas patio umbrellas my husband picked up free when a restaurant closed. I can stick them in the ground to cover the bells. Their height and their angle are adjustable. It might look a little funny but I know they are big enough to cover my 4x4's. Has anybody else used umbrellas?

What a great idea! And you will have the snazziest looking garden around!
:tiphat: good job! salute

GG
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 7/23/2012, 9:55 am

raising the patio umbrella is how i protect the plants on my patio.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum