Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My first SFG--lovin it!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My first SFG--lovin it!

Post  hritter13 on 4/9/2012, 12:01 pm

I grew up gardening with my Dad and the traditional long rows. I have never had enough room to have a garden like his. Last year I luckily came across SFG. I read and read and planned and planned more. I finally have my own garden and I have throughly enjoyed the outcome so far. I have already picked mustards, turnips, collards, lettuce and tomatoes. Need to pick the mustards and turnips again. Everything is growing so fast. Two things I'm a little concerned with is the brocolli and the potatoes. The Brocolli plants are huge but so far just big leaves and no brocolli. The potato plants themselves are taller than any I have ever seen and so far i haven't found any taters. They are already blooming so there should at least be some small ones by now. Other than that no problems so far and really excited everything is growing.

First couple of pics are of all the empty boxes and the compost, vermiculite and peat moss. My garden is on the side and front of the house. This is the only please that gets enough sun. The last box is my tater box.

Thankfully i had some awesome help. I could have never mixed up this much without help. It was a much bigger job than what i expected. The total weight in the truck is 923lbs. Since these pictures I have added another 4x4 bed, a 2x10 bed, 4 1x1 boxes and numerous pots and buckets. Everyone said to start small, i couldn't stop myself! Smile

These pictures are after i've added the grids and have either seeds planted or plants in the ground. Alot of my plants I started from seed indoors.

Some of the plants I have:

potatoes(hopefully), squash yellow(crookneck and straightneck), zuccini, sugar snaps, tomatos (4 varieties), collards, turnips, mustards, lettuce, swiss chard, onions (sweet and purple), eggplant, cucumber, winter squash, brocolli, sweet banana pepper, bell pepper and hot peppers(too many varieties to list) oh and okra and sugar baby watermelon.

These pictures were taken about a month ago. I will post some new pictures soon, these pictures doesn't even resemble the garden now.

I have learned so much from you guys and thank you for letting me share! I'm so proud of how this has turned out so far!

hritter13

Female Posts : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first SFG--lovin it!

Post  llama momma on 4/9/2012, 12:09 pm

glad you\'re here and holy cow!!! Oh Dear, You are out of control rofl tongue
Quick! Can you come up to Ohio? I'd like a few more boxes myself, I admire your energy. Again, holy cow!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4632

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat on 4/9/2012, 12:17 pm

Amazing job! Can't wait to see everything lush and tall!

kittykat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/9/2012, 12:21 pm

...and WOW! Honestly, if I'd had the funds to get that many boxes started in this, my first year, I probably would have. I do believe I have garden envy. Someday... someday...

Congratulations on having such a raging success! It's clear your experiences growing up has helped, too. I look forward to seeing current photos!

givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 4/9/2012, 1:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. As you've learned, eveyrone here is eager to help and to share. It looks like you are doing just great with your garden endeavor. Good for you. Keep posting those pictures. We love pictures.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin on 4/9/2012, 3:28 pm

Wonderful pixs and wonderful successes for you! Very Happy I am also new to SFG but have had many row gardens. My first SFG plantings this year will include many veggies also because I wanted some of so many!

As to your question about your potatoes I would refer you to pages 221-222 of the All New SFG book. I just reread this a couple of days ago myself and realized potato planting in SFG is a little different than row gardening. I will need to remove some soil initially and keep adding soil on top of the green leafy plants until the soil is level with the planter sides again.

Good luck and happy gardening!

Evelyn in zone 4

efirvin

Female Posts : 146

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga on 4/9/2012, 5:34 pm

Looks great! Congrats on the early success

laufenberga

Male Posts : 56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hritter13 on 4/10/2012, 11:04 am

@efirvin wrote:Wonderful pixs and wonderful successes for you! Very Happy I am also new to SFG but have had many row gardens. My first SFG plantings this year will include many veggies also because I wanted some of so many!

As to your question about your potatoes I would refer you to pages 221-222 of the All New SFG book. I just reread this a couple of days ago myself and realized potato planting in SFG is a little different than row gardening. I will need to remove some soil initially and keep adding soil on top of the green leafy plants until the soil is level with the planter sides again.

Good luck and happy gardening!

Evelyn in zone 4

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunatley that's how I planted and pulled dirt to them. I took a good look at them yesterday and i have pulled a foot of dirt to them and they look to have about 18" to 2 foot of growth on top of the original foot of of dirt. I'm afraid that i may have produced some beautiful plants that will not produce any taters. Sad Not giving up yet. Just gonna wait and let them do there thing. I will be posting some new pics and hopefully you can get a better idea of what i'm talking about.

hritter13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hritter13 on 4/10/2012, 11:53 am

After looking at the pictures that I posted yesterday I got out and took some updated pictures. It looks completely different. I also picked mustards and turnips again yesterday. Had enough to give some away!

First pic is of my Hot Pepper bed. Built cages to keep the squirrels out til they get bigger.

Next is one of my 4x4 beds---It has onions, lettuce, turnips,swiss chard, collards, brocolli, winter squash, eggplant and okra in it.

Next has onions, sweet banana pepper, turnips, marigolds, collards, brocolli, tomato, sugar snaps okra

Next has onions, mustards, marigolds, collards, brocolli, and tomato

This is a picture of 4 of the 4x4 boxes including the tater box. It's hard to tell from this picture but on the other side all the tater plants have fallen over. The 1x1's have yellow squash. Not sure how the are going to turn out but so far they are doing great.

My newest box. week and half ago. includes: collards, green bunching and purple onions, mustards, turnips, picklebush cucks and zuccini. The triangle cage is my "pyramid of power". And no i didn't name it but it has been great. Just lifts off and keeps the critters out til the plants get bigger.

Sorry about the pic being sidways. This is in front yard. includes: collards, mustards, tomato, sweet banana, chives, sugar snaps and sugar bay watermelon, the pots have more collards in them. Yes i do love my greens!!!!

'

another angle of box. The planters on this side have yellow squash in them.

a back side view of boxes.

Again thanks to everyone and this site! It is a pleasure to watch things grow and now with SFG I can have that again!!! Not to mention me and my Dad are having a little contest with our gardens. We are constantly updating each other on our gardens.

Heather

hritter13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 on 4/10/2012, 12:14 pm

Heather what a fantastic Garden! I think you have examples of nearly every method of caging, trellis and protection. You have certainly been busy, easy to get the bug isnt it?

I particularly like the way you have some boxes on a diagonal !
Did your neighbours think you were mad at the start?

I have just built boxes for my taters. 2x2 squares which will grow about 3 foot or higher. I am doing a combination of Mel's method and potato tower method. I will plant as soon as my seed potatoes arrive in the mail!

Keep it up, plants look amazing.

kbb964

Female Posts : 317

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hritter13 on 4/10/2012, 1:08 pm

@kbb964 wrote:Heather what a fantastic Garden! I think you have examples of nearly every method of caging, trellis and protection. You have certainly been busy, easy to get the bug isnt it?

I particularly like the way you have some boxes on a diagonal !
Did your neighbours think you were mad at the start?

I have just built boxes for my taters. 2x2 squares which will grow about 3 foot or higher. I am doing a combination of Mel's method and potato tower method. I will plant as soon as my seed potatoes arrive in the mail!

Keep it up, plants look amazing.

It is very easy to get the bug! I've always loved gardening since i was little. I consider the garden my baby. I get so excited watching it grow.

The diagonal boxes were placed like that so maybe it would look a little more appealing. I was a little worried about the neighbors, but there's nothing that says I can't grow my garden anywhere I want in the yard, so I did. Unfortunatly the only sun i get is on the side and in the front. The only problem i've had with the neighbors is everyone wanting to stop and talk about it.Very Happy Everyone loves it, even the kids have commented on how pretty it is and how fast it's grown. I just don't always get everything done that I want because of socializing. I guess that's not a bad problem to have.

Please let me know how your taters turn out.

Heather

hritter13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 4/10/2012, 5:36 pm

Love the pyramid of power. Great idea for keeping critters out,

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down