Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:03 pm

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:45 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:39 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Today at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Today at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bad Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bad Day

Post  laufenberga on 4/10/2012, 6:22 pm

I recently completed my greenhouse (10' x 12') and decided to put some of my plants out there because I'm running out of room in the house. Plants that I put out there are Cabbage, Romanesco Broccoli, Cauliflower, and some Zinnias. Well, I've been having a nightmare with this thing since I got it completed.

-First off, I am having troubles keeping the temps down in there. It has been getting up to 100' sometimes up to 115' F in there and so I open the door and try to get the heat out. Somehow I've got to figure a way to put some kind of vent on it. I went out the other day and it said 116 on the therm and my cabbage and broccoli were wilted down bad so I opened the door to get a breeze in which seemed to help.

Now its getting under freezing at night the past night or two and I went back out there this morning and the Zinnias were almost all dead, out of 36 maybe 4 looked like they survived. I don't know if this is because it got so hot in there for a while of because of the cold last night, but I would have thought my cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower would have died from the heat before anything else being they are cool weather crops.

Kind of a rant, but definitely frustrating. Mad

Also, I had posted this in the wrong area before, going to delete that post. Sorry

laufenberga

Male Posts : 56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bad Day

Post  Gena575 on 4/10/2012, 6:32 pm

I have zero advice, but it sounds like you could use a I hope you can get things figured out.

Gena575

Female Posts : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 4/10/2012, 6:34 pm

I'll add a hug. What kind of greenhouse is it?

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 4/10/2012, 6:45 pm

There is a vent that can be put into greenhouse structures and even hoop houses at places like Lowe's and Home Dept. It automatically opens when the greenhouse reaches a set temperature. I think it was very reasonably priced, too. You'll have to visit and ask. Easily put in. Saw it on youtube one day. If I find the video, I'll come back and post it for youl

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 4/10/2012, 7:01 pm

Found it. I thought it was Gardenfork and it was. Try this for more info...

http://www.gardenfork.tv/cold-frame-hoop-house-plans-and-update

He states they have them at Lowe's and Home Depot. You can see one online if you click on his info, Charlie'sgreenhousesupply or something like that. I didn't get the URL, sorry. They have them for 19.99.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga on 4/10/2012, 7:11 pm

Quiltbea: Thanks for the info. I'll have to check into that soon.

Martha: The greenhouse is homemade- I construced it out of 2x4s we had laying around from an old project and also used 6mil plastic doubled over. We built it onto the back of our existing garden shed(a 16' x 16') and it is 10'x12' and huge. After all was said and done I think it maybe cost about $50 to complete and that was about $25 for the plastic and some money for screws and staples, lathe, and 3 pressure treated 2x4s for the base. It was an awesome project and hopefully I can get the thing vented properly and really increase my production. Also, I know I haven't posted any pics of anything yet but I'm hoping to get pics of the greenhouse and some SFG boxes I have built.

Thanks for the responses.

laufenberga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga on 4/11/2012, 1:03 am

Does anybody think the cold snap killed the plants, or is it more likely they died because it got too hot in there?

laufenberga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 4/11/2012, 11:19 am

Hi there
I have those vents in my greenhouse and they work like a charm, thus far.
It gets terribly hot in there and the vents just open up
I am sure whoever invented them must be right, or at least i hope they are...

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/11/2012, 11:23 am

@laufenberga wrote:Does anybody think the cold snap killed the plants, or is it more likely they died because it got too hot in there?

You mentioned the temps during the day which you said were definitely excessive and you were trying to combat that - do you know how cold it gets at night inside the greenhouse?

PS - I am sorry you are having such issues with your plants....what a bummer! Sad

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga on 4/11/2012, 1:13 pm

My therm that I have in there records the lows and and highs and I believe it said it had gotten as low as 32'F at night and up to 100 during the day before I got to opening everything up.

Now my broccoli and cabbages are starting to be tipped over as well and I think its too late to start them over so I guess I'll have to wait and see if they stand back up.

laufenberga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 4/11/2012, 1:38 pm

Understand that greenhouses, hoop houses, and cold frames simulate the interior of a car. On a cold, sunny day with two feet of snow on the ground, when you open the car door, you get hit with a blast of hot air. Whenever the sun is shining, greenhouses, hoop houses, and cold frames must be ventilated. For a greenhouse, cross-ventilation would be best. Using a fan may be necessary, to either pull in cooler air or push out warm air. It will take some experimenting to figure out what works best for you.

On the other hand, on a cold day with no sun, your car will be just as cold inside as it is outside. Additional heat may be required at night. You could do it passively, by putting dense materials in your greenhouse like big rocks or concrete that will absorb heat during the day, and release it at night. Some folks have success with water containers painted black. Sometimes a layer of cloth or plastic atop your plants within the greenhouse at night will help. Otherwise, a heat source may be needed to get you by until spring really arrives. A space heater will help keep the chill off. I'm having good success with soil heating cables.

Don't give up on your plants. They may well stand up when it gets warmer. Brassicas will sometimes develop a 'dog leg'. They will still become mature healthy plants. It's just that the stem is not strong enough early on to support the weight of the foliage. I've had good luck getting them to stand up by transplanting deeper, or, piling up soil around the stem up to the first true leaves.

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga on 4/11/2012, 1:51 pm

Thanks for the responses, a lot of good advice. I ordered one of those vents to put in on one end, and on the other end which is connected to the garden shed, I have cut a 1x1 foot hole which I leave open and the door to the shed and a breeze seems to get through. I think I might try to plant my plants in deeper containers and bury the stems with dirt up to the first set of leaves, I hope this helps. Also, I will try to snap a few pics this afternoon before work and hopefully get them posted after work tonight for anybody that is curious. Once again, thanks for the responses, being such a newbie is stressful thanks

laufenberga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 4/11/2012, 2:55 pm

You're lucky that most cole/brassicas like to be buried a bit deeper when transplanting, like broccoli about an inch, and cabbages up to their bottom leaves. Many plants won't stand for it. You might manage to save some of them. Good luck.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar on 4/11/2012, 3:58 pm

My new greenhouse has vents in the roof and you can buy automatic
openers. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to make vents you could
connect them to.

Greenhouse Window Vent Opener

Hoggar

Male Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga on 4/11/2012, 4:38 pm

Green House, attached to garden shed:

Zinnias:

Bad Broccoli/Cabbage/Cauliflower:

And again, another tray:

laufenberga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 4/11/2012, 4:46 pm

Were they in here when they were starting to sprout, because they look like they are stretched out to look for light and only have their first baby leaves. Poor babies!

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga on 4/11/2012, 4:50 pm

No, they were in my basement under a grow light. Unfortunately I have never used a grow light before and I realized after a few days that I had it too far away from the plants. I readjusted it and I'm not sure it mattered. I think they are all doomed.

laufenberga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum