Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Disappointed...Italian Long Hots...and tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:45 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Judy McConnell Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:49 am

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by has55 Yesterday at 6:26 am

» New England Nov 2017
by trolleydriver 11/23/2017, 8:53 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver 11/23/2017, 8:49 am

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by AtlantaMarie 11/23/2017, 8:26 am

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising 11/22/2017, 9:01 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver 11/22/2017, 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 11/22/2017, 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie 11/22/2017, 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie 11/22/2017, 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost troubles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Compost troubles

Post  floyd1440 on 4/14/2012, 8:01 am

TTT

Need some help. I turned my compost pile it was not as hot as it has been. Figured if I turned it onece a week I would be good to go but something went wrong. It seemed a little dry and we are getting rain today so that should help if that is the problem.

The other I made for kitchen scraps and since we eat a lot of fruit I know have fruit flies. So should I out them somewere else to let them decompose????

avatar
floyd1440

Male Posts : 806
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 63
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost troubles

Post  camprn on 4/14/2012, 8:16 am

@floyd1440 wrote:TTT

Need some help. I turned my compost pile it was not as hot as it has been. Figured if I turned it once a week I would be good to go but something went wrong. It seemed a little dry and we are getting rain today so that should help if that is the problem.

The other I made for kitchen scraps and since we eat a lot of fruit I know have fruit flies. So should I out them somewere else to let them decompose????


Floyd, next time you turn the compost pile, give it a LITTLE BIT of water every few inches. It is recommended to turn the pile when the temperature comes down under 100F.

As to the new pile, for control of flies and odor, put either a bit of dry stuff over the top or a sprinkling of dirt to cover it. Nut much, just enough to cover the top surface. Wink

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost troubles

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/14/2012, 8:34 am

@camprn wrote:
@floyd1440 wrote:TTT

Need some help. I turned my compost pile it was not as hot as it has been. Figured if I turned it once a week I would be good to go but something went wrong. It seemed a little dry and we are getting rain today so that should help if that is the problem.

The other I made for kitchen scraps and since we eat a lot of fruit I know have fruit flies. So should I out them somewere else to let them decompose????


Floyd, next time you turn the compost pile, give it a LITTLE BIT of water every few inches. It is recommended to turn the pile when the temperature comes down under 100F.

As to the new pile, for control of flies and odor, put either a bit of dry stuff over the top or a sprinkling of dirt to cover it. Nut much, just enough to cover the top surface. Wink

Dried leaves work well if you can find them at this time of year. Makes me wish I would've stockpiled leaves from last fall.
avatar
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost troubles

Post  camprn on 4/14/2012, 8:37 am

When I mow the lawn I usually pile the clippings to the side of the new compost holding pen. Usually the top layer of clippings dry all on their own. Those would be good to sprinkle over the top of the fresh stuff in the holding pen.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost troubles

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 4/14/2012, 8:56 am

@camprn wrote:When I mow the lawn I usually pile the clippings to the side of the new compost holding pen. Usually the top layer of clippings dry all on their own. Those would be good to sprinkle over the top of the fresh stuff in the holding pen.

Yes.....that works well. I forgot about it

I did that last year. It was nice to have a supply of semi-dried grass to add to the compost.
avatar
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Pennsylvania, Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost troubles

Post  kittykat on 4/14/2012, 10:40 am

I read somewhere else in here once to purposefully lay out your grass clippings on a tarp to let them dry out so you're storing dried grass clippings rather than wet ones...
avatar
kittykat

Posts : 194
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Coastal Britsh Columbia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost troubles

Post  jennifer37918 on 4/14/2012, 10:44 am

I don't have one of those well-manicured lawns, so my current solution may not work for people with neighbors, but I have found I can cut the grass and leave the grass clippings in place (where they fell). Then a few days later, they are dried out and can be raked into a pile I can transport to the compost pile. This way, I skip spreading them out by hand and only touch them once. And if I don't get around to them, they refertilize the lawn where they are.
avatar
jennifer37918

Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-03-03
Location : Knoxville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost troubles

Post  camprn on 4/14/2012, 10:44 am

@kittykat wrote:I read somewhere else in here once to purposefully lay out your grass clippings on a tarp to let them dry out so you're storing dried grass clippings rather than wet ones...
A good idea, but for me, that is simply too much work and unnecessary. I just pile 'em and toss 'em in when I build a new pile.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost troubles

Post  RoOsTeR on 4/14/2012, 12:05 pm

@jennifer37918 wrote:I don't have one of those well-manicured lawns, so my current solution may not work for people with neighbors, but I have found I can cut the grass and leave the grass clippings in place (where they fell). Then a few days later, they are dried out and can be raked into a pile I can transport to the compost pile. This way, I skip spreading them out by hand and only touch them once. And if I don't get around to them, they refertilize the lawn where they are.

A good idea, but for me, that is simply too much work and unnecessary. I just pile 'em and toss 'em in when I build a new pile.


+1
I use a combination of both these methods Very Happy
I leave my grass clippings as they lay for a day or two so they aren't as wet, then go back with some very minor raking and then pile them up by my compost till ready to use.

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost troubles

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum