Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by trolleydriver Today at 11:59 am

» Your Christmas wish list?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 11:15 am

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 11:07 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by Robbomb116 Today at 10:18 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:54 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:48 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:44 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 3:23 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:18 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Zmoore Yesterday at 7:54 pm

» New England, December 2016
by bigdogrock Yesterday at 7:18 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:41 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 1:17 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

» putting your raised garden beds to bed for Winter
by jimmy cee 11/30/2016, 8:46 am

» last chance to pre-order baker seeds-rare seed catalog
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 8:30 am

» Mid-South: November 2016
by AtlantaMarie 11/30/2016, 6:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 11/30/2016, 2:33 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in November 2016
by sanderson 11/30/2016, 12:10 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cheap (often overlooked) source of compost

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cheap (often overlooked) source of compost

Post  Pisachi on 4/15/2012, 1:27 am

I was replying to a question about this earlier, and thought it might be worth sharing with the group. I'm new to this site, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned somewhere else...

MANY of the schools here in N.E. Texas have very strong FFA programs. The school where I teach is fairly small, but (as most small schools around here) has a very strong agriculture department. Because of this, the school has a barn where most of the kids keep their show animals (cattle, goats, pigs, etc). They clean out the pins in those barns pretty regularly, and that means they are shoveling a LOT of manure out behind the barn. The bedding for the cattle is usually pine shavings, and when mixed with the cattle manure, makes GREAT compost.

A couple months ago, I hooked up a flat bed trailer and got about 4 cubic yards of that "cattle compost" from the show-barn. They were more than happy to GIVE IT AWAY (that means "free") to me, just for the service of hauling it off for them.

I put it into the corner of my garden and added some more wood chips/shavings to it, and let it keep composting.

When I set up a new SFG box, I use my own "mix", (mostly because I can get it so cheap and have had great results with it). I "layer" my boxes like this: 1. I put a weed block down (In my opinion, THE most important part. If I don't use one, I'll be pulling grass out of my boxes every weekend) which is usually either cardboard from boxes I have saved from take-out pizza or shopping

2. Then I put down a layer of the cattle manure compost,

3. Then comes a layer soil or mix

4. Then I cover the top with a layer of the wood chips. The wood chips really help conserve water when the hot & dry weather comes.

The cattle manure compost has given me GREAT results. HUGE veggies and fruits. The watermelons and okra REALLY love it! I'm not really sold on the idea of using pig manure in the same fashion, though I wouldn't shy away from goat, horse, or cattle one bit. I probably should mention that I don't plant tubers or root crops in it until it has had time to compost for at least a year, just in case. I have no qualms using it for squash, tomatoes, corn, okra, or other heavy-feeding, above ground crops after only 3-6 months though.

Anyway, my point is this. LOTS of those schools would be more than happy to find a new, loving home for their excess manure. It makes an excellent garden amendment, especially if you can let it compost for a while before you use it. If you can't get it for free, I'm sure you could get it SUPER cheap...and in pretty good sized quantities too. Just call up to the school and ask to speak to the ag teacher. Ask him/her if they will have any compost next time they clean their barns out. Then ask if you could come and snag some. Its definitely worth the call.

-Pisachi

Pisachi

Male Posts : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheap (often overlooked) source of compost

Post  givvmistamps on 4/15/2012, 2:23 am

First of all, I don't think I've said to you yet.

You're already making a valuable contribution, since it never occurred to me that a local chapter of FFA (or 4H, it occurs to me) would be a good, cheap source of manure for the garden. (Somehow, it always seems strange to me to have to pay for poo, even if it's composted!) I'm going to do a search to see if either of the high schools in our county have ag departments...or at least FFA or 4H chapters with kids who'd like to have someone haul some of their manure away for them...and whether they have a barn on campus. (I know the middle schools don't have anything like that; we'd hear the animals since we're behind one of them and can hear all their public announcements and class-change bells when we're outside.)

givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pisachi on 4/15/2012, 2:43 am

Thank you for your kindness. Strangely, I hadn't even thought about the 4H programs, and we even had one when I was a kid! My brother showed cattle through the 4H program...

Pisachi

Male Posts : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 4/15/2012, 8:45 am

My goodness! Thanks for the reminders! I work 4 blocks from the Sale Barn and never even thought of asking there!

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KDeus on 4/15/2012, 9:37 am

Great suggestion! My daughter's high school has an AG Science program and has some goats and sheep. I'll have to look into it!

KDeus

Female Posts : 71

View user profile http://www.mikkeanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/15/2012, 10:03 am

@Pisachi wrote:Thank you for your kindness. Strangely, I hadn't even thought about the 4H programs, and we even had one when I was a kid! My brother showed cattle through the 4H program...

It sounds like you didn't need to think that far. Wink I just remembered seeing the FFA and 4H having tables next to each other at the fair a few years ago when I took my boys to meet my husband after his stint representing the college at their table.

So I looked at our high school websites to see if they had either club active, or an ag program...but they're currently revamping the site so there's only one club listed right now (JROTC) and nothing about programs available that I could find...not even dual enrollment.

givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tnoyce on 4/28/2012, 4:58 am

It's a brilliant tip, but I can't help thinking that perhaps you could teach these programs about the value of composting the manure they produce. It is a shame to teach people about animal husbandry without letting know how to handle the results. They could produce a safe, valuable agricultural supplement instead of a smelly pile.

tnoyce

Male Posts : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum