Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:28 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/7/2016, 9:41 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan 12/7/2016, 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Chlorine in the garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chlorine is not good for plants

Post  tomperrin on 4/16/2012, 12:08 pm

in any percentage. It's used as a disinfectant. While it may break down rapidly, it will kill trees.

Tom

tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chlorine in the garden

Post  HereIGrowAgain on 4/16/2012, 2:00 pm

Chlorine is a big concern of mine although it has nothing to do with compost in my case. The water where I live is very heavily chlorinated. I wont drink it or cook with it straight from the tap. I run my water through a Brita filter and then a drip coffee maker to distill it. Hopefully I'm getting most of the chlorine out. At least I can't taste it anymore. Unfortunately, that doesn't help my plants. I can't filter enough to get water for all of them. Since I'm on a budget a reverse osmosis system is completely out of the question. Until I can find a couple of very cheap or free barrels I'm using 5 gallon buckets to catch rain water.

HereIGrowAgain

Female Posts : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Chlorine in water

Post  tomperrin on 4/16/2012, 3:19 pm

I learned how bad chlorine in the water was when my lawn and trees went sour because I used the backwash from the pool. Now the backwash goes on the gravel driveway where it can kill the weeds. Fortunately we use well water from a tap that bypasses the water softener.

I think you could use chlorinated tap water by exposing it to the air for a couple of days. The chlorine should clear. You can take a water sample down to your local swimming pool supply place and they can test it for you.

We think it's also a good idea to invest in a couple of rain barrels this year, as the lack of snow cover indicates we may have a drought. In addition to being good for washing your hair, saving rain water is a good thing to do if there is any chance of drought. Make sure your rain barrels are covered to keep the mosquitoes out. If you drop some real silver in the barrel, that will be an effective anti-bacterial agent. I think some junk silverplate tableware would do just fine.
Tom

tomperrin

Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/16/2012, 5:54 pm

@HereIGrowAgain wrote:Chlorine is a big concern of mine although it has nothing to do with compost in my case. The water where I live is very heavily chlorinated. I wont drink it or cook with it straight from the tap. I run my water through a Brita filter and then a drip coffee maker to distill it. Hopefully I'm getting most of the chlorine out. At least I can't taste it anymore. Unfortunately, that doesn't help my plants. I can't filter enough to get water for all of them. Since I'm on a budget a reverse osmosis system is completely out of the question. Until I can find a couple of very cheap or free barrels I'm using 5 gallon buckets to catch rain water.

Can you draw off water for your plants and store it in an open top barrel for 36 hrs or more ? This will let the chlorine out . You might need a mozzie net over the top to keep them & other bugs out
Just don't go drinking it incase there is any bacterial buildup in the barrel after being in use for a couple of months .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 on 4/16/2012, 8:38 pm

You can also purchase a filter such as this one for your garden.

RV water filter

You can find them online, in outdoor camping/hunting stores, and places that sell RV accessories.

They connect very easily to your average garden hose and you can find fairly affordable models by shopping around.

Daniel9999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HereIGrowAgain on 4/17/2012, 6:32 am

Until I can afford a filter I'll keep putting water out in a bucket. Thanks for the suggestions.

HereIGrowAgain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/17/2012, 8:45 am

I use chlorine treated city water. This photo from from the beginning of July 2011.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual on 4/17/2012, 9:05 am

I use (over-chlorinated) city water for my drip irrigation system. While the plants do indeed grow, I've noticed how fast they grow after a good rain too. Nothing beats rain water.

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/17/2012, 10:32 am

test

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Gena575 on 4/17/2012, 1:39 pm

@HereIGrowAgain wrote:Until I can afford a filter I'll keep putting water out in a bucket. Thanks for the suggestions.

Many municipal water sources now use chloramine instead of chlorine. Chloramine is chlorine with ammonia added. Chloramine doesn't dissipate like chlorine does in an open container. The stability of chloramine is why places are moving to using it over chlorine. Garden pond water conditioners or aquarium water conditioners would be an effective removal tool, I'd think. If it won't hurt fish, I don't see how the minute amount used would harm plants. I used Seachem's Prime when I kept aquariums. IIRC 1ML treats 10 gallons of water.

Gena575

Female Posts : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar on 4/17/2012, 2:05 pm

Here is a link to a Drip Irrigation discussion about filtering Chlorine out.

Chlorine free Drip Irrigation

Hoggar

Male Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HereIGrowAgain on 4/17/2012, 2:56 pm

Maybe I'm just paranoid about my water. I've never lived in a place where the water smelled and tasted like water from a swimming pool. It's very strong with some days worse than others. I have noticed that on the worst days no kind of soap will foam not even shampoo. It's very peculiar. It just makes me feel that it couldn't be good for plants.

HereIGrowAgain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/17/2012, 3:11 pm

@HereIGrowAgain wrote:Maybe I'm just paranoid about my water. I've never lived in a place where the water smelled and tasted like water from a swimming pool. It's very strong with some days worse than others. I have noticed that on the worst days no kind of soap will foam not even shampoo. It's very peculiar. It just makes me feel that it couldn't be good for plants.
If it is that overwhelming with fumes, perhaps a call to the water department/ treatment plant or the town manager is in order. There could be a good reason for it... or maybe something is wrong. Shocked

camprn

Back to top Go down

Chlorinated water

Post  tomperrin on 4/17/2012, 3:25 pm

@HereIGrowAgain wrote:Maybe I'm just paranoid about my water. I've never lived in a place where the water smelled and tasted like water from a swimming pool. It's very strong with some days worse than others. I have noticed that on the worst days no kind of soap will foam not even shampoo. It's very peculiar. It just makes me feel that it couldn't be good for plants.

That's not normal. I suggest testing it before you talk to your water people, just so you have hard facts to confront them with. Your local pool supply establishment should be able to assist.

Tom

tomperrin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BrotherNorm on 4/18/2012, 8:48 am

There may be some confusion on the use of chlorine in municipal drinking water. Although some municipalities may still be using chlorine the vast majority have switched to using chloramine which is totally different than chlorine. (if you want the chemistry part there are many online sources) :scratch:

The reason why municipalities have switched is because chlorine is not a stable disinfectant if it sits in the pipes for any length of time, chloramine is.

To know for sure which your municipality is using all you need to do is get a copy of the water report from your local department of utilities. Many are on line and publicly accessible.

cheers,

Last edited by BrotherNorm on 4/18/2012, 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had to change a word.)

BrotherNorm

Male Posts : 56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER on 4/18/2012, 8:57 am

I haven't done any experimenting (frankly, it's not a big deal in my book), HOWEVER, there is a local "pick-em" farm that swears the plants he waters from his rain barrels grows "better" than the ones that get watered through the hose. I didn't audit his "study" but there was a noticeable difference in plant appearance between some of his plants that he was experimenting with (all of his looked real nice, but the rain barrel watered plants looked great). FWIW

I try to use the rain barrel water when possible, but that's mainly because of convenience and because there's no additional cost for that water (heaven knows my rain barrel setup isn't/wasn't "free").

TN_GARDENER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BrotherNorm on 4/18/2012, 9:10 am

TN_GARDENER,

Your local farmer may be correct, especially if he has an old house with old plumbing. One of the down sides for old houses with very old plumbing is that chloramines increases the lead count in the water. Chloramines extract the lead present in old plumbing.

Additionally and without looking at the water report for his area there may be other factors involved that would contribute to less than satisfactory crop growth by using city water vice rainwater.

I use rain barrels as well. It's falling out of the sky which means it's free so why not.

Last edited by BrotherNorm on 4/18/2012, 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added additional information.)

BrotherNorm

Male Posts : 56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum