Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 3rd World Country Gardening
by sanderson Today at 4:42 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Help - Building new raised beds
by sanderson Today at 4:06 am

» New England January 2017
by sanderson Today at 3:50 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:47 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing January 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:42 pm

» To all my SFG pals and more.
by sfg4uKim Yesterday at 8:48 pm

» Mid-South folks - please check in
by yolos Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 6:53 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:29 pm

» Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 1:36 pm

» Seed starting station..
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:54 am

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:40 am

» Escarole in SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:55 am

» N & C Midwest: January 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 1/22/2017, 10:36 pm

» Cauliflower
by sanderson 1/22/2017, 7:37 pm

» Sad News from Jimmy Cee
by ralitaco 1/22/2017, 7:27 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 1/22/2017, 5:30 pm

» Grow Light Question
by camprn 1/22/2017, 4:30 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by donnainzone5 1/22/2017, 4:24 pm

» My Shreveport Garden 2017
by countrynaturals 1/22/2017, 1:15 pm

» Forum Poll: Social Media
by countrynaturals 1/22/2017, 12:07 pm

» 2017 Burpee seeds are already on display at HD
by yolos 1/22/2017, 12:49 am

» EMT Clips
by sanderson 1/21/2017, 6:51 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson 1/21/2017, 4:24 pm

» Baker Creek's Seed Bank Store in Petaluma, CA
by sanderson 1/21/2017, 4:18 pm

» Making Smoothies
by sanderson 1/21/2017, 12:45 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by AtlantaMarie 1/20/2017, 8:18 pm

» Food Dehydrators
by sanderson 1/20/2017, 1:21 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Columbus, GA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  alphared1974 on 4/19/2012, 4:46 pm

Hello All!! I am brand new to SFG and super excited to see the outcome. It is basically trial and error as far as where I have things placed in my boxes, how to trellis them and the harvest I am going to reap. I am constantly "checking" on them as if they are going to grow faster the more times I go and visit them. Ha Ha. :-) I am looking forward to finding out a lot of interesting and new things. Thanks all and happy gardening!

alphared1974

Posts : 1
Join date : 2012-04-19
Location : columbus, ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  georgiahomegarden on 4/19/2012, 10:19 pm

@alphared1974 wrote:Hello All!! I am brand new to SFG and super excited to see the outcome. It is basically trial and error as far as where I have things placed in my boxes, how to trellis them and the harvest I am going to reap. I am constantly "checking" on them as if they are going to grow faster the more times I go and visit them. Ha Ha. :-) I am looking forward to finding out a lot of interesting and new things. Thanks all and happy gardening!


Hello neighbor, good to have you here. I am pretty new to it too, if you have any questions let me know. Very Happy

georgiahomegarden

Male Posts : 91
Join date : 2012-01-19
Location : Georgia

View user profile http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  givvmistamps on 4/20/2012, 12:21 am

I'm your neighbor to the south. I'm new to SFG this year myself, and I'm having a blast watching all my seedlings come up and watching my kids get almost as excited as I do. Very Happy There are lots of people here who are very helpful to those of us getting started. They share their experience when we need it, and give us cheers when we have successes. Everyone loves photos, so get that camera going...especially when you need help with a problem.

givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Join date : 2012-04-01
Age : 45
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  Pepper on 5/8/2012, 5:12 pm

welcome alphared1974 from someone also in Columbus Ga. This is my first year SFGing and gardening. I have found this to be THE source for gardening information on the internet. Altough there are plenty of places to get info that you know what to ask about; here you can get help with skin on it. Good luck with your garden I am looking forward to seeing your progress; this place LOVES pictures. We are in the "Lower South" area for the sake of this forum.

Mike

Pepper

Male Posts : 564
Join date : 2012-03-04
Location : Columbus, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  Pepper on 5/8/2012, 5:20 pm

opps forgot.....do your self a BIG FAVOR buy this book you will not regret it. It will take most of the mystery out of this garden journey

ANSFG 2006 edition by Mel Bartholomew ... means getting decent veg inspite of the attentions of the gardener , Wink

that is : All New Square Foot Gardening 2006 edition

Pepper

Male Posts : 564
Join date : 2012-03-04
Location : Columbus, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  georgiahomegarden on 5/18/2012, 5:08 pm

@Pepper wrote:welcome alphared1974 from someone also in Columbus Ga. This is my first year SFGing and gardening. I have found this to be THE source for gardening information on the internet. Altough there are plenty of places to get info that you know what to ask about; here you can get help with skin on it. Good luck with your garden I am looking forward to seeing your progress; this place LOVES pictures. We are in the "Lower South" area for the sake of this forum.

Mike

How is your compost piles coming pepper?

georgiahomegarden

Male Posts : 91
Join date : 2012-01-19
Location : Georgia

View user profile http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  Pepper on 5/19/2012, 12:08 am

lol! @ the compost piles/bales. The rains during the winter drowned them. I have not had the time to restart them. They took a back seat to bed set up and planting. I do have a bag of blood meal to kick start the "hottie" process soon as I get to them.

I have not been to your blog in quite the while so how is your garden growing? WOW just went to your blog your garden looks GREAT. I like the ground covers do they help with water retention? I would be concerned with over heating the soil.

I have been documenting mine on here ( http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t11910-newbe-sfg-in-georgia) keeping up both places is a bit much.

Good to hear from you

Pepper

Male Posts : 564
Join date : 2012-03-04
Location : Columbus, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  georgiahomegarden on 5/26/2012, 1:47 pm

@Pepper wrote:lol! @ the compost piles/bales. The rains during the winter drowned them. I have not had the time to restart them. They took a back seat to bed set up and planting. I do have a bag of blood meal to kick start the "hottie" process soon as I get to them.

I have not been to your blog in quite the while so how is your garden growing? WOW just went to your blog your garden looks GREAT. I like the ground covers do they help with water retention? I would be concerned with over heating the soil.

I have been documenting mine on here ( http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t11910-newbe-sfg-in-georgia) keeping up both places is a bit much.

Good to hear from you

I only used the ground covers in my pepper bed last year and I didn't notice any ill effects. I don't use them for water retention so much as weed prevention. It makes your beds pretty much weed free.

Your garden looks very nice, are those 2x8's or 2x10's. They look nice and strong. I wish I would have went with 2x8's instead of 2x6's when I built my area. Why don't you document your garden on your blogger blog? I would love to keep up with it since we live in the same town.

georgiahomegarden

Male Posts : 91
Join date : 2012-01-19
Location : Georgia

View user profile http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  Pepper on 5/26/2012, 10:02 pm

Woa we live in the same town??? I did not know that, thought you were further north like south of Atlanta zone 7b or so I thought. We got to get together!!!

This is my first year, so far I have not had an issue with weeds. I can understand the bed covers. I guess from the pics I assumed they were plastic. Tell me more about them.

My beds are 2by12's dug in to level them or close to level(I listened to EG). They are all 4ft by 8 ft. I hope them being dug in will stop the grass from intruding. In fact I am adding two more. Been working this afternoon, got one box built, diging the sod out today not quite completed. After church tomorrow I hope to finish it, I will break the ground below to one shovel depth. I should be able to harvest my "tater tires" reuse the MM to fill the bed. Gotta have room to put in sweet potatoes and the misses wants lima beans. The next bed will have winter squash and.....

Pepper

Male Posts : 564
Join date : 2012-03-04
Location : Columbus, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  georgiahomegarden on 5/27/2012, 1:33 pm

@Pepper wrote:Woa we live in the same town??? I did not know that, thought you were further north like south of Atlanta zone 7b or so I thought. We got to get together!!!

This is my first year, so far I have not had an issue with weeds. I can understand the bed covers. I guess from the pics I assumed they were plastic. Tell me more about them.

My beds are 2by12's dug in to level them or close to level(I listened to EG). They are all 4ft by 8 ft. I hope them being dug in will stop the grass from intruding. In fact I am adding two more. Been working this afternoon, got one box built, diging the sod out today not quite completed. After church tomorrow I hope to finish it, I will break the ground below to one shovel depth. I should be able to harvest my "tater tires" reuse the MM to fill the bed. Gotta have room to put in sweet potatoes and the misses wants lima beans. The next bed will have winter squash and.....

Yeah, I thought you knew that since the thread was Hello From Columbus GA. Very Happy

2x12's huh, that is awesome. Since I used cedar for my beds I couldn't afford 2x12's and had to go with 2x6's. I still have pretty good luck with the 2x6's but wished I had something taller. The black stuff is just your standard black landscape fabric you get at Lowes or Home Depot. It is breathable and works pretty good.

georgiahomegarden

Male Posts : 91
Join date : 2012-01-19
Location : Georgia

View user profile http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  Pepper on 5/27/2012, 3:09 pm

cedar wow I could not afford that either; in the 2by 12 size. Ok with the landscape fabric breathable that is why it does not heat up excessively. I will keep that one in mind.

Well I did think about your "neighbor" coment but was sure you were from a different climate zone from earlier blog posts. I had just thought you were being friendly using the "neighbor" genericly as 'close by'. I have not heard from the person who started this thread to yet.

I did get a wheelbarow load of grass clippings from a neighbor a few houses down that does not use anyadditives to their grass so will be restarting some compost bales shortly. Gotta head out to finish a bed shortly, so I will have some where to put the MM from the tater tires.

Give me a call or text.... later

Mike

Pepper

Male Posts : 564
Join date : 2012-03-04
Location : Columbus, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:13 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum