Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sprouted Onion Question
by No_Such_Reality Today at 7:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 6:40 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 6:21 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Today at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Today at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 4:56 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by llama momma Today at 2:20 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Toddler tolerance

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Toddler tolerance

Post  No_Such_Reality on 4/20/2012, 11:19 am

Having grown up in the midwest, I can appreciate the laments of other posters with deer invading their garden, rabbits, skunks, raccoon and golfers. I have none of those problems.

I do however have 21 month old 110% boy who is roughly the size of a three year old and has one speed, warp 9. Last night, I lost a 1/2 wine barrel planter full of sprouting bush beans. My son found it unresistable. Mel's Mix is apparently more fun than a sand box. MM goes from barrel 1 to barrel 2, barrel 1 to the lawn. Barrel 1 to Patio box 1, barrel 2 back to barrel 1. Hey is that a carrot, let me pull it up. Is that a melon? Let me grab the the MM and throw it in the air and laugh when the MM rains down on my head.

Needless to say, sproutling transplants have a high failure rate around me... Laughing

He's growing and learning but in the mean time, what can I do to increase my toddler tolerance of my plants and bed. It seems like once that plant gets fairly large, he leaves them alone. The Potatoes are fine with a bushy 4" sticking up above the increasing mount. The larger cucumbers are fine, the smaller ones get smashed. He loves his toy hammer.

I'm thinking I'll just buy plants this year from a nursery and transplant them.

Any other ways of deterring my son from the sproutlets? Without saying, "No", "No", "No", "No", "No", "No" all night long. We say "No" enough and trying to keep it for dangerous things like stove top which he can just get his fingers to.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 424

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Toddler tolerance

Post  Turan on 4/20/2012, 11:29 am

Try movable barriers and out of sight out of mind. And help him plant all big seeded things. When there is lettuce and such to eat get him to try to eat it from the square like a sheep..... only mouth no hands. If he then eats all the peas and lettuce and broccoli with bites, he is getting good food, and not damaging hte plants like he would if yanking. Exception to that is when there are cherry tomatoes, fingers are needed to pluck those the stems are nasty. Good luck Very Happy

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good Luck!

Post  hruten on 4/20/2012, 11:44 am

I have a 2, 4, and 6 yr old. The older kids know that they will incur their mother's wrath by touching her gardening attempts Evil or Very Mad (have to actually produce something to call it a garden!)

However, the 2 yr old loves to help outside. My biggest problem with him is that he turns on the water and is determined to water everything, including HIMSELF! Rolling Eyes

If you have a spare bin, you might just want to give him an extra plant and just dirt to dig in. Maybe put his name on it. If he owns an area, he might stay out of yours. All 3 of my kids just like dirt... if only I could convince them that growing something is twice as fun.

hruten

Female Posts : 159

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 on 4/20/2012, 11:51 am

No_Such_Reality ~ oh this sounds like a scene from my yard! He's the only 'pest' I'm having problems with. He just can't resist flinging the MM's! I'm hoping it a phase and he'll get bored with it. Good luck!

My 2 year old grandson is the LOVE of my life, but all of these emoticons put together = QUINTON!

bounce

CCgirl75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/20/2012, 11:56 am

Oh wow, your son is all boy! My dad had my older son help him plant his flowers when JT was only 18 months. They had a ball, and JT learned from that experience that plants need to keep their "feet" in the soil so they can eat and drink from it and get big and strong.

I agree with Turan that you ought to have a section of the garden just for your son. Put in only things that taste good straight out of the garden, and if you're squeamish, give him safety scissors to cut off a leaf and a bucket of water so he can wash things off before eating. If he wants to do any digging, you could just give him a spot that is okay for digging and such. Then, whenever he goes for a section that's not okay, you don't have to say "no", but instead say "not there, over here".

What I learned when my boys were toddlers was that redirection was more effective than simply saying "no" all the time. Giving a child something they CAN do in place of what they can't is SO much better in training! The same applies in the kitchen and other places. Give him a cabinet full of plastic containers, a pot or 2, some spoons, a spatula, etc, and redirect him there whenever he goes for cabinets you don't want him in. Whenever you can, give him a "yes" zone to replace the "no" zone.

Truly, this works, but you MUST be consistent. He'll learn the lesson in a week or less, and soon you won't be as exhausted from chasing him around. Wink

givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 on 4/20/2012, 12:10 pm

My 2 sons were VERY active, also, so this is 'normal' to me. Thanks for the redirection suggestion. I hate saying no all the time! We use this inside, but for some reason outside didn't occur to me!

CCgirl75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/20/2012, 12:25 pm

@CCgirl75 wrote:My 2 sons were VERY active, also, so this is 'normal' to me. Thanks for the redirection suggestion. I hate saying no all the time! We use this inside, but for some reason outside didn't occur to me!

I totally understand thinking of that behavior as "normal" and I'm happy to share my little bit of experience. Smile My two boys are VERY active as well...the older one has ADHD Combined Type (the outdoors always brings out his hyperactive side), the younger one has Autism with a bit of ADHD thrown in as well (he mostly only gets hyper when his brother does). My closest friend here has a son who is so mild and calm, it amazes me! I never know how to deal with him because he always does what I ask the first time I say it. Laughing

givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 4/20/2012, 12:35 pm

And let him water and get totally soaked. But give him a small cup.
Our Christmas tree is a citrus tree planted by my then 2 year old. He was learning that you put seeds in the ground and plants come out! WOW! Soooooooooo every lemon/ orange/ apple/ avacodo seed must be planted. I have thinned the forest to this one tree now. He is 18 now and still likes his radishes and lettuce straight in the garden (it was he who showed us that bolted radishes have very tasty seed pods). For awhile I had a mesh cover for the lettuce so he could only graze it so far and not down to the ground.

My closest friend here has a son who is so mild and calm, it amazes me! I
never know how to deal with him because he always does what I ask the
first time I say it. Laughing

Indeed. My kids had 2 modes, high speed and asleep. No naps, that just meant they would wake at 2 am. Other people had these strange kids that did things like walk and nap.
Good memories Very Happy

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 4/20/2012, 12:48 pm

I use a critter cage (like the one on page 70 of the ANSFG book) until the plants get big enough. It keeps my 2 year old grandson from pulling up whatever he wants or me having to say NO all the time. He is slowly learning not to pull up a veggie unless he asks me but it is taking some time.

yolos

Female Posts : 2861

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/20/2012, 12:59 pm

Indeed. My kids had 2 modes, high speed and asleep. No naps, that just
meant they would wake at 2 am. Other people had these strange kids
that did things like walk and nap.
Good memories Very Happy

So glad to hear from someone who knows what my boys are like! People always look at me funny when I say my boys quit napping (at home; the school insists on it) when they were preschool-age. My dad used to get angry at me for not letting JT nap; he pointed at the dark circles under JT's eyes and told me that was from not getting enough sleep...until JT's ENT told Dad that it was from allergies, not sleep issues. Now, with John in preschool, we have problems with John getting up between 2 and 5 am on nights when he's napped at school. Some kids just have a bundle of energy, others don't. Mine most definitely do.

That does create issues in the garden, even with my boys at 10 and 5. Reminding them not to kick soccer balls, hit baseballs, etc, near the garden is a frequent chore.

John also likes to dig, move soil, etc. He's socially and emotionally developmentally closer to 3 years old, so we have all that to contend with still. His motor skills are right on target if not ahead of expected skills. That helps when planting, and oh, the look on his face when he sees a little plant sprout from the very spot he put a seed!

givvmistamps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 4/20/2012, 1:24 pm

electric fence

I have a 2 year old dughter that loves digging in the dirt and collecting things...she has only pinched off a few green onion tops and a few lettuce seedlings...she likes to pick out rocks, sticks, leaves, maple seeds, etc. and collect them in a cup...I'm fairly lucky she has learned to play in empty squares.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/20/2012, 1:44 pm

@landarch wrote:electric fence

That'd teach them not to touch, but I don't know if child protection services would like the method very much! I'd thought about doing this to my fence when I install it, to keep the deer and the neighbor's dog out...but was afraid my boys would find some way to wreak havoc with the thing.

givvmistamps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 4/20/2012, 2:44 pm

Picture a 5 YO with a nail and an electric fence. OOOH, that bites. Summer 1948.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Electric fence experience

Post  hruten on 4/20/2012, 2:48 pm

I think I was around that age or a little younger. My brothers ( 8 yrs older) liked to get me to run unsuspectingly into the electric fence. They did it a lot before they were caught.

If anyone is wondering I don't have an leftover twitching What a Face

hruten

Female Posts : 159

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/20/2012, 6:21 pm

My recommendations: Stockade fence around the garden with the latch at the 6 foot height. A sand box, a fabulous mud puddle and kiddie pool for the boy. keeping it simple and fun.

When my boy got a bit older, I think he was 16 at the time, we took a trip to Ireland. While we were there we went to visit a friend and her mother on their farm just outside of Kilarney. While we were roaming about the farm yard, there was an electric fence. My son at the time had no frame of reference about such things and asked if he could touch it, would it hurt. We both warned him it would be an unwise choice, but it certainly wouldn't kill him. So he grabbed a hold of the wire between his thumb and forefinger with no results, he was sorely disappointed in that and declared that it didn't work very well at all.. So... we told him to take off his shoes and try it again... It zapped him but good, We all laughed so hard. Of course he said, 'That was shocking.' Shocked What a silly boy... We still laugh about it today. Very Happy

Last edited by camprn on 4/20/2012, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 4/20/2012, 7:06 pm

@walshevak wrote:Picture a 5 YO with a nail and an electric fence. OOOH, that bites. Summer 1948.

Kay

LOL. OMG, I can picture it!

My son (the good one) once blew out the plugs in the middle school lab by 'helping' his friend shove a paper clip into one. Geeesh. It is a wonder any of us make it to adulthood.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 4/20/2012, 7:09 pm

It's in our programming. Electric fence must be touched. Very Happy

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 on 4/20/2012, 7:22 pm

I just read a quote the other day..... Boys - noise, covered in dirt. And so much more! Razz

CCgirl75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  javaaddict on 4/20/2012, 7:34 pm

Does he have another place he can dig? I have a 2,3, and 5 yo, and so far I've had good luck keeping them out of the garden. They've been digging in another flower bed for me recently, "helping" me get it ready for MM by digging out rocks. My 2 yo is a veggie junkie though, and I know that as soon as he sees veggies growing, he'll be over there trying to snatch them off and eat them. Not a bad problem, but he doesn't always look to see if it's ripe!

I'd say build a fence. lol If it's possible. Or some kind of picketing around the boxes...

javaaddict

Female Posts : 60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 4/20/2012, 10:36 pm

I have three steps with my grandbabies

1) Go dig in your own dirt, this is NaNa's.

2) I told you No.

3) Old-fashioned discipline ....they learn quickly.

Now if only I could teach the balls that easily.... Mad

CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 on 4/21/2012, 12:21 am

Have you tried planting Brussel Sprouts in your beds?

That should keep almost any child far,far, away....

tongue

Daniel9999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 on 4/21/2012, 12:29 am

CCgirl75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto on 4/21/2012, 9:18 am

Wow, sounds like you all have boys very similar to mine. I bought him small plastic garden tools, and let him dig in spaces that were empty. He also loved filling up the watering can and watering the plants (usually the same spot over and over), so I just directed him to areas that were okay. He's three now, so starting to understand more (though he keeps pulling out my raspberry plant b/c he just thinks it's a stick). I let him plant seeds, and he helps me put my seedlings in for the night. The problem now is the new baby. SHE goes after my seedlings like they are candy, and digs them out of their seed starting trays and attempts to eat them, dirt and all (see this post http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t11333-the-biggest-threat-to-my-seedlings)

lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

View user profile http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam on 4/21/2012, 9:55 am

My toddler is nearly 3 and so far he's been really good with my SFG beds, however my sweet potato slips that I planted in a large pot have had to be replanted at least 3 times!

Redirection doesn't seem to work with either of my children, they have a perfectly good sandpit that they can dig in all they like, but no, they have to dig in the dirt, usually in the dead patches in the grass where we're trying to get it to regrow. Unfortunately it's the 7 year old that is the ringleader with that one and I just can't get it through his head that it's the wrong thing to do! Evil or Very Mad

ericam

Female Posts : 283

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/21/2012, 12:08 pm

You gotta love them kids; I was told when my youngest was a toddler that the really active ones that get into so much trouble are the ones that will end up being really successful in their careers. Let's hope so! I got two of 'em.

givvmistamps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:20 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum