Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sanderson's experiments with Bio-Flora Ag Products
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» Flowers that easily reseeded
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:33 pm

» Jade Plant
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» who has chickens
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:33 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:20 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:53 pm

» Fun Spider addition to Home Page
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:49 pm

» Please Welcome Our Newest Forum Moderator!
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» Fall garden push
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:39 pm

» The Research Journey:Composting Leaves Only
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:03 pm

» The Research Journey:Back to Eden Organic Gardening 101 Method with Wood Chips VS Leaves Composting Garden Soil
by plantoid Yesterday at 6:47 pm

» The Research Journey:Growing in a Raised Wood Chip Organic Gardening Bed
by has55 Yesterday at 7:16 am

» The Research Journey:Building Healthy Soil
by has55 Yesterday at 7:13 am

» the Research Journey:How to Grow Large Healthy Organic Tomatoes
by has55 Yesterday at 7:07 am

» Bountea Compost Tea - Got it!!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:23 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Straw Bales with Seeds?
by donnainzone5 10/24/2016, 11:50 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by jimmy cee 10/24/2016, 10:44 pm

» Notice: Gluten-free Recipes Sub-Forum- Up and running!
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/24/2016, 9:20 pm

» Our Newest Regional Hosts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/24/2016, 8:56 pm

» Indian Solar Gardening Calendar
by Scorpio Rising 10/24/2016, 8:52 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by rajmahendra 10/24/2016, 8:36 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals 10/24/2016, 1:23 pm

» last chance to pre-order baker seeds-rare seed catalog
by sanderson 10/24/2016, 12:48 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by AtlantaMarie 10/24/2016, 7:37 am

» Mason bees
by Scorpio Rising 10/23/2016, 8:45 pm

Search SFG Forum

EOSPete from UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EOSPete from UK

Post  eospete on 4/21/2012, 8:23 am

Hello all.
My first year of SFG.
I have 6 beds established for SFG this year and its going well to date.
I read 'The Book' on my kindle each evening to try and learn more about SFG.

I have been wondering about intercropping crops like radish between more long term crops.
I have 4 mammoth onions in a square and the seedlings are around 8cm tall and wont be ready until Autumn. I wondered about putting in some 2 week radish seedlings which I'll expect to crop in 3-4 weeks.

Regards to all

Male Posts : 11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EOSPete from UK

Post  kbb964 on 4/21/2012, 8:26 am

Go for it ! I read you can plant them together, also can grow radish in between carrots
glad you\'re here

Female Posts : 317

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/21/2012, 10:34 am

That's really using the old noggin! Very Happy Well done and Welcome to the SFG Forum.

I put in shallots and then sowed French breakfast radish all in between, not in rows but all over. It works great. The radish will be done in 4-5 weeks and that is when the shallots really are starting to build the bulbs and the foliage is getting quite large.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Outlander is outstanding!

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Thanks for the welcomes

Post  eospete on 4/21/2012, 12:31 pm

Thanks for the welcomes and replies. I'm so glad I found this forum. The UK Grow Your Own forum is great with a SFG following but a small group of followers. I am looking forward to learning more and being inspired on here. Myabe I can put something back as well in the future.

I am finding that in the cold spring of the UK I get earlier results starting in the greenhouse and then planting out the plugs. I 'm hoping that using this strategy alongside SFG principles will give me increased flexibility when it comes to planting. Early season the greenhouse is likely to have plenty of space but in the summer weeks I'll need it for the toms, peppers, cucumbers and chillis so by then all the seedlings should be outside. I had a greenhouse last year but was bed gardening in rows!!!

I've also bought a patiogro frame system this spring which used 1/2 square sized trays and comes with a plastic cover. I'm using it as a coldframe because it can't be heated. All I am doing is halving the number of plants in each tray. Seems to be working especially for the shallow rooting plants like lettuce, leaf salad, radish and spring onion.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/22/2012, 5:31 pm

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the amazing world of the " All New Square Foot Gardning " Where inthe UK are you?

I'm just off the west end of the M4 in South Wales . I have a few mamoth onions as well .

Have you managed a squarefoot of nantees carrots for the fun carrot growing competition now running on here ?

Ideal / agreed sowing date was 15 April but they should soon catch up and pass quite a few growers if you sowed them tomorrow.

Male Posts : 3613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eospete on 4/23/2012, 2:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome Plantoid.
I'm in Blackburn, Lancashire.

Sowed some Nantes 5 in a storage box planter with 50% sharp sand, 50% compost in late Feb in the greenhouse cos we were washed out in my garden and I couldnt get to the beds to plant. They are up and with some adult foliage to about 4-5cm tall.

I so got into SFG that I have no squares at all to plant into until I finish harvesting the Kale this weekend and I got a whole load of All Year lettuce seedlings to plant out. Got some Tom Thumb to go out as well but they are a bit small as yet.

Maybe at the weekend I will get out and take some pics. I did post a planting plan to my gallery but I cant find it now!!!

My mammoth onions are about 5cm tall with the strong leaves. Longer leaves have yellowed and died off in the late frosts. How are your beets doing? Mine seem to be taking ages to get going.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 on 4/23/2012, 3:07 pm

Pete, I was born in Blackpool, moved to Nelson, Burnley ( up the Clarets!) at 14yrs. Met my hubby and then we transplanted to the USA in 98 !

Female Posts : 317

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/23/2012, 3:34 pm

My seed sown large onions are nearly 6 inches long .. I started them off 5 jan in the spare bedroom and planted them out in the SF beds toward the end of March

Carrots sown 26 feb are 3 inches tall sown so are those sown a fortnight later . Those sown wednesday last week are still asleep Wink

The carrot contest ones sown 10 april have yet to show their lovely heads as fronds but the grass stage has started to show.

Re kale .

We /I harvest off only seven dwarf plants ( two per SF , cutting off three or five leaves off half the plants once a week for three of us ( 2 adults and one munchkin ).

I'll keep these going as long as humanely possible , I gave them a fish blood & bone meal FB& BM )dressing last week for there is only the purple sprouting broccoli ready for eating as well. ( they get a hair cut each week as well and also got FB&BM 0.

I direct sowed some greyhound cabbages and some other fast growing ones 26 Feb which was a tad too early .. the greyhounds are doing fine at 2 inches high but the others are total failures as it was too cool & wet to sow them outside but I took a chance with four of them .. I've got a few more in the glasshouse almost ready for planting out .

I've tried three celery sowings over the last month and all have failed to germinate at present , though it is normally around three weeks for them to say hello .. I'll wait till next week when the temps are a wee bit higher and start them off in fine vermiculite on the kitchen window cill and out them to the greenhouse when 3/4 tall then plant out at 3 inches / five leaves big .

Beets.. seakale has shown through and is about 1 1/2 inches tall , Detroit beet root seems to be on its way .

The Kohl Rabi has poke through in some of the stations , peas are over a foot high , garlic is well up and some is nearly 15 inches tall so are most of the over wintered japanese onion sets .

I've stil got two parsley plants in the beds from plast year and will soon be able to replace then with glasshouse winter time grown ones

Male Posts : 3613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum