Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by jimmy cee Today at 10:29 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Today at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Today at 7:21 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Deal or Steal of the Day!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Deal or Steal of the Day!

Post  llama momma on 4/21/2012, 4:08 pm

Home Depot today had large blooming blueberry bushes marked down from $15 a piece to 3 plants for only $12.00. A savings of $33.00 smackeroos. They even had 4 or 5 varieties to choose from and the plants come from a local source too. Recently, strawberries were my dream tabletop and it has happened....but blueberries are my ultimate fantasy. I might be the happiest sf gardener today. To top it off, I visited with friends I haven't seen for awhile who are dying to learn sfgardening. They will become my " guinea pig test students". What a great day even though it has been rainy and cloudy since daybreak. Love sfgardening!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4632

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Deal or Steal of the Day!

Post  kbb964 on 4/21/2012, 4:11 pm

Woah! I hope they have some at my local store as we are going there tonight or tomorrow! I might buy some at that price.

Tomorrow our local Garden center is having seminars and such in observance of Earth Day and they will be selling starts for 99 cents as opposed to the regular 3 bucks !
I plan on going there too.

kbb964

Female Posts : 317

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/21/2012, 4:15 pm

That's great, go for it, blueberries are considered a superfood, get all you can. I am in my mid fifties and I don't want to wait a few years to get berries. I am suppose to be more patient at this age, but for the love of fresh blueberries, not!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 on 4/21/2012, 4:20 pm

do you think they would grow in pots? I have not looked into blueberries before.......

or maybe a deep sfg box , say 2x2 by 12 deep?

kbb964

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/21/2012, 4:36 pm

I don't know yet. I think others on this site have put them in 1/2 whiskey barrels. What I tend to do, and it may be a personality glitch thinking is I buy something new, then quickly go crazy over learning everything about it as quick as I can. I know they like acidic soil, I know Mel talks about them online on his website, and there is a website on the package materials that I need to read up on tonight too. Also will go to the white search box above and see what others say. One little tidbit I read somewhere was not to use pine needles from roadside trees as it may be contaminated with car/truck exhaust nasties... true? I don't know, but friends of mine have lots of large pine trees in the back yard. I'll be calling them soon. Tonight will be all about reading everything I can get my hands on. Taken the plunge and forced myself to get it together, whoa!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 4/21/2012, 4:39 pm

@kbb964 wrote:do you think they would grow in pots? I have not looked into blueberries before.......

or maybe a deep sfg box , say 2x2 by 12 deep?

Mine are in whiskey barrels and are doing well so far, as long as you keep it watered and check to make sure the soil is acidic you should be fine!!

philct

Male Posts : 170

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/21/2012, 6:47 pm

I have two in large pots that I purchased last year. They overwintered fine. I put them in a peat-heavy mix and they seemed happy. I'm sorry to report that my dogs ALSO were happy with the peat-heavy mix and actually ate half the mix out from around the poor blueberry rootball and chewed on the bush itself. I thought it was a goner, but am happy to report that it's greened out nicely. I don't think I'll get berries this year off of it...but I'm just glad it's growing back! So, from my neck of the woods, they are fairly hardy! Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/21/2012, 6:55 pm

@UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:I have two in large pots that I purchased last year. They overwintered fine. I put them in a peat-heavy mix and they seemed happy. I'm sorry to report that my dogs ALSO were happy with the peat-heavy mix and actually ate half the mix out from around the poor blueberry rootball and chewed on the bush itself. I thought it was a goner, but am happy to report that it's greened out nicely. I don't think I'll get berries this year off of it...but I'm just glad it's growing back! So, from my neck of the woods, they are fairly hardy! Smile

funny post Oh my gosh, what a story! I can recommend some durable chew toys for those dogs of yours to keep their teeth off the plants.

givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/22/2012, 11:00 am

philct --"Mine are in whiskey barrels and are doing well so far, as long as you keep it watered and check to make sure the soil is acidic you should be fine!!"

Great philct, That sounds encouraging, thanks!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/22/2012, 11:14 am

Hey Walnut
That's good to know they are quite hardy. I don't have dogs but I wonder if deer will eat blueberry plants?

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 4/22/2012, 11:24 am

. I thought it was a goner, but am happy to report that it's greened out nicely. I don't think I'll get berries this year off of it...but I'm just glad it's growing back! So, from my neck of the woods, they are fairly hardy!
My dog did that as well, and that particular blueberry bush did better than any of the others.
He used to dig up everything. He even eats all the blackberries when we are walking in the woods.

One thing I learned about digger dogs is that apparently they are not as bad if you wear gloves when you plant things, they apparently smell you... on the bulbs etc...
Sorry for the sidetrack

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 on 4/23/2012, 3:09 pm

Darn it , my local home Depot did not have the offer on the Blueberry bushes! I nearly bought a raspberry bush tho! Decided against it as I didnt know where i would put it.
Sad

kbb964

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/23/2012, 3:43 pm

I'm sorry too. They told me the bushes came from a local source, I kinda wondered about your location so far away from mine.... anyway, best of luck to you. That's probably it for my luck for a very long time.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart on 4/23/2012, 5:29 pm

do you know if they are low-bush or high-bush blueberries?

WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

View user profile http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/23/2012, 5:33 pm

I'm pretty sure they are highbush varieties grown for the northern states - Jersey, Duke, and Bluejay

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart on 4/23/2012, 6:28 pm

Thanks Llama momma, I remember eating these blueberries while I worked in Maine that were the best I have ever had! after some research I think that they are Vaccinium angustifolium.....Now if I can grow those in my back yard Wink That would be awesome

WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

View user profile http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/23/2012, 7:46 pm

WolfH-
There seems to be a whole bunch of varieties. I looked up the one you mentioned, it is also called "Brunswick". It is a lowbush variety. One article I looked at briefly said it can grow from zone 2-5(?). Maybe you could find a distributor online and grow your own.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 4/23/2012, 8:33 pm

It's kind of lame, but I got a heck of a steal today Very Happy I was driving down an alley and found this hangin out of a dumpster:

Razz Other than being a little dirty, it's in perfect shape. Not a hole one I must lead a pretty boring life to get excited about finding a net in a dumpster affraid

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 4/23/2012, 8:40 pm

Cool find, Rooster! A bit of envy, here, though. As to blueberries, the best I remember was in Nova Scotia, at a resort called Sonehame. The whole slope between the cabins and the lodge was covered in short-growing blueberries of exquisite taste. Didn't think I could get a perloined plant through customs, so all I have is memory.

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/23/2012, 8:58 pm

Hey Rooster you have the better eye cyclops You saw perhaps a perfectly good trellis where someone else could only see trash.

NonnaPV - it would be wonderful if that resort was still in business and you could find out what variety they have and it was compatible to your area to grow. So many ifs, geez, there goes my imagination Rolling Eyes

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 4/23/2012, 9:02 pm

Just between you and me, a secret shared amongst us Western Oregonians is the wonderful wild blueberries growing up around Mt. Adams, just north of the Columbia Gorge. Yes, it takes a bit to scope the best fields out, and to drag some kind of camper, etc. up so as to spend a couple of days harvesting these delectible berries, but.......you do what you gotta do, right? Yes, it'd be nice to grow them in one's backyard, but living at the elevation where they grow best would be onerous.

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/23/2012, 9:15 pm

Yes it would be onerous, also a poor purloined plant from your resort would have never made it... At least memories are nice. Boy finding your own stash of berries is so much fun! Here's another one - Long time ago the woods behind my parents house had wild strawberries and I use to enjoy picking and eating them. Sometimes I'd find a big ol box turtle among the little berries chomping down the sweet fruits too. Ah, a nice childhood memory.

Last edited by llama momma on 4/23/2012, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarify)

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat on 4/23/2012, 9:17 pm

Embarassed
@RoOsTeR wrote:It's kind of lame, but I got a heck of a steal today Very Happy I was driving down an alley and found this hangin out of a dumpster:

Razz Other than being a little dirty, it's in perfect shape. Not a hole one I must lead a pretty boring life to get excited about finding a net in a dumpster affraid

Hey! It's Earth Day Week! Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is the name of the game! You're a hero! Congrats!!

kittykat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum