Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:41 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway

Post  SwampCatNana on 4/26/2012, 9:25 pm

@Gena575 wrote:
@SwampCatNana wrote:Well, Bluphrog, I can do you one better as for experience with flying insects. However, I'm not afraid of them, in spite of my experience.
I was camping with my granddaughter on Cape Cod. We went into the tent for the night. I put on the lantern and she snuggled in her bedroll.
Reading was my way of relaxing after a hectic day of sightseeing. As I read a moth buzzed around the tent coming close to me. I idly swatted at it with one hand while I continued to read.
The moth took revenge on me and promptly flew into my right ear! Yes, my ear! And wouldn't you know I get a dumb moth, he doesn't know how to back out!

I had something very similar happen and am now a complete freak about buzzing insects, too! I was living in my mom's basement during my divorce from my first husband. I was reading and waved away a buzzy thing, like you did. Either I swatted it into my ear or it was a bug with a death wish, but BOOM there it was! We tried flushing it out with water which ended up killing it, but not removing it like I thought had happened. The next day I was in excruciating pain from the dead bug stuck in my ear. The doctor used one of those old water flossers to blast it out of my ear. Turns out it was a lightning bug. Ick ick ick!

How horrible! SHIVER SHIVER SHIVER

SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You are all wonderful!!

Post  Jess0331 on 4/30/2012, 8:30 am

I was away for the weekend and didn't have an opportunity to check this site. To my fellow CT gardener: I prefer Nutmegger...much easier to pronounce, although in reality, "Ex-New Yorker" is what I am usually called.

I read with great interest that I am not the only one here with over-the-top reactions to things that most people take in stride. YAY! I adore snakes (the bigger, the better!) and spiders. I had a pet tarantula and thought that EVERYONE had one. LOL

I really like the idea of naming the little wiggly creature and Plantoid's idea of befriending them. I am actually going to try doing that this week...I will let you all know how it goes. It could be quite interesting.

As to my cousin...as the years have gone by I have repaid him MANY, MANY times in all kinds of ways. I think my favorite was when I was a teenager a bunch of us cousins went camping. I baked up 4 dozen brownies to take along with us and made a 'special' batch just for him...I added an entire package of chocolate Ex-Lax squares. He and the woods became very friendly. He learned a valuable lesson that day: It may take me years, but I *will* get you back and you will have no idea when it will be!

Jess0331

Female Posts : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KDeus on 4/30/2012, 9:19 am

@Gena575: Oh, my! That gives me the chills just thinking about that!

@Jess0331: I used to live in Mystic! I loved it there. The house was an old blacksmith's shop (if I remember correctly) and was on the road, High St, behind Margarita's. Had a huge garden there and really just loved the town.

Speaking of snakes, I never see snakes in my yard - I think I've seen maybe 2-3 in 16 years. Yesterday, as we were moving a few bags of compost, we saw a snake that I had never seen before and still can't determine what kind it was. Coloring wise, it looked like a pygmy rattler, but those are aggressive and this one just wanted to get away and didn't appear to have a rattlers. It also looked like a juvenile black snake, but couldn't have been because they turn black at about a foot long - this one was right around 3'. It took off when we prevented it from curling back up next to a bag, and slithered through a hole in the bottom of our fence to the front yard. Shortly afterwards, we saw a 1-foot black snake near our shed and then it slithered across the yard to the wood pile. A bit later, we found a snake skin. I'm not a big snake fan, but if I can tell it's one of the harmless kinds, I'll just stay back as it goes on it's way. It's the other one that makes me a bit nervous until I find out what kind it was.

KDeus

Female Posts : 71

View user profile http://www.mikkeanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Embarrassed

Post  Bluphrog on 4/30/2012, 9:32 am

@plantoid wrote:Then a few hours late hang around for 12 seconds and look at the beastie . Each day repeat the exercise till your a foot or so away and have a real good look at what has been scaring the living day lights out of you.

My problem is that I don't get a look at it, just the sound and the feel of it flying by me. Even the bzzzzzzzz of a mosquito will give me the same effect.

Now, if I see a wasp or bee, I'll very carefully back away. Don't want to get stung -- been there, done that.

Bluphrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/30/2012, 10:03 am

To those who wear hearing aids and the usual complaints that go with them -- They're not so bad after all if you 1- turn off the sound and use them as ear plugs from the loud buzzing outdoor bugs and 2 - have the comfort of never having a moth or lightening bug become a resident of your ear canal
lol!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top