Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:05 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by sanderson Today at 2:48 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:05 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» In between
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:25 pm

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:21 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Kelejan Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 8:59 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Yesterday at 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 1:58 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 9:04 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Grow Lights?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grow Lights?

Post  scmelik on 4/26/2012, 5:41 am

I went to be last night alittle down because once again the plants that I started inside died when I took them out. I have been forced to try and get them outside as early in their lives as possible because I don't have any grow lights to put them under and I have nowhere in my house that gets good enough natural light to put them.

Well this morning I woke up and had an epiphany. "I have a shop light on my workbench in the basement not getting use!!!" DUH!!!!!!! So this morning I took an entire flat of tomato and pepper plants downstairs and low and behold there is a brilliant light calling my name. I pulled it down off the celling plugged it into my timer switch set it up over my plants.

Right now the plants are only an inch or so tall so I have it fairly close (less than a foot) away from them. How far should it be? Obviously as they grow it will need to get further way or they will be in it but for now with as small as they are how close is to close? Also how many hours should it be on them a day? I have it set for 12-14 right now.

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  walshevak on 4/26/2012, 6:18 am

Good remembering. Shop lights are what a lot of us use. Lower those lights to within 1- 2" of the top of the plants. Timing is right. Good luck on keeping these alive until time to put outside. And don't forget to gradually harden them off before setting out.



Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4301
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 73
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  quiltbea on 4/26/2012, 8:14 am

That's right, the light should be only 1-2" above the plants to get the full benefit or they'll stretch too tall and get leggy and weak. Remember, these aren't sunshine, just a mild substitute. Also, they need the lights on approx 16 hrs a day. I put mine on at 7 a.m. and off at 11 p.m. every day.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4610
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  Debora Cadene on 4/26/2012, 8:22 am

when can the plants come out from the lights? Its still WAY to cold here to be outdoors for the real stuff, but what about window seals or them sunbeams the dogs chase around the house?

Debora Cadene

Female Posts : 73
Join date : 2012-04-22
Location : Atikokan, Ontario zone 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  quiltbea on 4/26/2012, 11:03 am

My plants stay under the lights til about a week before they get planted outside. A week or 2 before they are planning to go outdoors, I bring them outside for an hour in the shade, and increase the time the next day, putting them in the sun for an hour, on the 3rd day. When inside, they are under the light again because they are only out a few hours at most the first few days. Outdoor time is increased daily until in about 7-10 days they are out all the time. They don't get transplanted outside til they have been thru this hardening-off treatment to get used to the cold, the heat, the sun, the wind. If I'm expecting a very cold or stormy nite, I bring them inside for safety.



above: hardening off on the garden bench.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4610
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  scmelik on 4/26/2012, 8:17 pm

Thank you everyone the plants already look great even after a day under the lights. I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner, dumb me.

Second question. I have a few weeks until I can plant my peppers and tomatoes outside. I started the seeds in peet pellets, at what point should it transplant them into MM?

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  jakesebastin on 6/26/2012, 12:53 pm

The transplantation of the plants should be done at the time the plants
start giving fruit. Then only the plants should be transplanted to mm.

jakesebastin

Male Posts : 9
Join date : 2012-06-21
Age : 36
Location : uk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  scmelik on 6/30/2012, 9:39 pm

@jakesebastin wrote:The transplantation of the plants should be done at the time the plants
start giving fruit. Then only the plants should be transplanted to mm.

I disagree jake. I transplanted my beans and peas when they were about 5-6 inches tall and my tomato and pepper plants were about the same size when I did those once the weather warmed up. I got about 10lbs of peas this year and have green beans coming out of my ears right now and probably will for the rest of the summer.

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  Goosegirl on 6/30/2012, 9:52 pm

scmelik - I have to agree with you. I would not transplant when the plants are fruiting, as transplant shock would probably interrupt the fruiting, aside from the fact that if I tried to keep my seedlings alive inside until they are ready to fruit I would probably kill them all!

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  scmelik on 6/30/2012, 9:57 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:scmelik - I have to agree with you. I would not transplant when the plants are fruiting, as transplant shock would probably interrupt the fruiting, aside from the fact that if I tried to keep my seedlings alive inside until they are ready to fruit I would probably kill them all!

GG

GG,

If I would have waited with my peas till they fruited I would have had to some how keep 6 foot plants inside and tried transplanting those. Not fun!!!!

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  Goosegirl on 6/30/2012, 10:13 pm

@scmelik wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:scmelik - I have to agree with you. I would not transplant when the plants are fruiting, as transplant shock would probably interrupt the fruiting, aside from the fact that if I tried to keep my seedlings alive inside until they are ready to fruit I would probably kill them all!

GG

GG,

If I would have waited with my peas till they fruited I would have had to some how keep 6 foot plants inside and tried transplanting those. Not fun!!!!

I hear ya! I am so bad with my seedlings and starts that I have to put them out as soon as possible because the harsh reality of SD Spring is much more gentle than my 'tender loving care' inside under the lights! My tomatoes went out as soon as the temps were above freezing at night, even tho' tomatoes do not like 40's at night. They were about to die inside, but outside without my attention they have thrived and are strong and healthy! I have pinched off blossoms to let them get bigger, but as of today I have stopped that and they are on their own!

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  scmelik on 6/30/2012, 10:17 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:
@scmelik wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:scmelik - I have to agree with you. I would not transplant when the plants are fruiting, as transplant shock would probably interrupt the fruiting, aside from the fact that if I tried to keep my seedlings alive inside until they are ready to fruit I would probably kill them all!

GG

GG,

If I would have waited with my peas till they fruited I would have had to some how keep 6 foot plants inside and tried transplanting those. Not fun!!!!

I hear ya! I am so bad with my seedlings and starts that I have to put them out as soon as possible because the harsh reality of SD Spring is much more gentle than my 'tender loving care' inside under the lights! My tomatoes went out as soon as the temps were above freezing at night, even tho' tomatoes do not like 40's at night. They were about to die inside, but outside without my attention they have thrived and are strong and healthy! I have pinched off blossoms to let them get bigger, but as of today I have stopped that and they are on their own!

GG

wth my tomatos just got blossoms within the last two days. I planned on pinching off the first of them but they showed up so late that I don't dare now.

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  Goosegirl on 6/30/2012, 10:26 pm

@scmelik wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:
@scmelik wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:scmelik - I have to agree with you. I would not transplant when the plants are fruiting, as transplant shock would probably interrupt the fruiting, aside from the fact that if I tried to keep my seedlings alive inside until they are ready to fruit I would probably kill them all!

GG

GG,

If I would have waited with my peas till they fruited I would have had to some how keep 6 foot plants inside and tried transplanting those. Not fun!!!!

I hear ya! I am so bad with my seedlings and starts that I have to put them out as soon as possible because the harsh reality of SD Spring is much more gentle than my 'tender loving care' inside under the lights! My tomatoes went out as soon as the temps were above freezing at night, even tho' tomatoes do not like 40's at night. They were about to die inside, but outside without my attention they have thrived and are strong and healthy! I have pinched off blossoms to let them get bigger, but as of today I have stopped that and they are on their own!

GG

wth my tomatos just got blossoms within the last two days. I planned on pinching off the first of them but they showed up so late that I don't dare now.

Mine have been putting out blossoms for over 2 weeks now. Since I usually don't get them in the ground until the first week of June and they don't find the trellis until almost the end of July, I figure this is a good time to let them go. I was able to get them in the ground the second weekend in May, and some of them are about 2 feet tall now. Definitely ahead of the SD schedule, so I will see what happens.....

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grow Lights?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:24 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum