Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 9:52 am

» Senseless Banter...
by trolleydriver Today at 8:59 am

» Your Christmas wish list?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 8:15 am

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 8:07 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by Robbomb116 Today at 7:18 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 7:11 am

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by AtlantaMarie Today at 2:54 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 2:51 am

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 2:48 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 2:44 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 12:55 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 12:23 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 12:18 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Zmoore Yesterday at 4:54 pm

» New England, December 2016
by bigdogrock Yesterday at 4:18 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:23 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 1:52 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:41 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 12:39 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:22 am

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:17 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:08 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:15 am

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 8:18 am

» putting your raised garden beds to bed for Winter
by jimmy cee 11/30/2016, 5:46 am

» last chance to pre-order baker seeds-rare seed catalog
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 5:30 am

» Mid-South: November 2016
by AtlantaMarie 11/30/2016, 3:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 11/29/2016, 11:33 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in November 2016
by sanderson 11/29/2016, 9:10 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

full spectum aquarium lights ok for growing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

full spectum aquarium lights ok for growing?

Post  hruten on 4/27/2012, 8:31 am

My tomato and pepper seedlings are behind, so I thought I would put them in an old 10 gal fish tank and put a couple of lights on top. Does anyone know if full spectrum fish lamps are ok for the plants or do I need to purchase other bulbs? :scratch:

Also, a website I looked at said if you are playing catch up that a full 24 hours of light is ok until the plants get bigger... True? or False? My plants are all healthy, but only now getting true leaves. They are all in MM and 4" pots.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

hruten

Female Posts : 159

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: full spectum aquarium lights ok for growing?

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/27/2012, 8:52 am

I believe the bulbs should be fine. The bulbs I purchased were actually labeled aquarium and plant bulbs. But I'm not a lighting expert and maybe someone else can come along that knows more than I do.

As for the lighting - everything I've read on the forum says plants need those hours of darkness to properly grow. If it was me personally, I'd probably go with the 14-16 on and 8-10 off because I'd be afraid to stress them with too much light. However, I'm still a relative newbie to the seed starting universe, so I'm thinking someone with more experience than I will come along shortly. Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 on 4/27/2012, 9:38 am

The wattage of the bulb may be to low. I would try it for a week and see how they grow. Just make sure the plants are almost touching the light. I bought a 17w grow light from Wally world for $10. It wasn't strong enough and only lasted 2 weeks. I'm returning it today and getting cheap shop light with daylight bulbs. I hear thats works just as good as grow lights for seed starting.

chjbr63

Male Posts : 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/27/2012, 9:53 am

hruten wrote:

Also, a website I looked at said if you are playing catch up that a full 24 hours of light is ok until the plants get bigger... True? or False?
False, all plants require a little bit of down time. Give it 14-16 hours of light, should be plenty.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Thank you!

Post  hruten on 4/27/2012, 10:36 am

Thanks for the great replies!

16 hours a day it is (on a timer so I don't have to think), and I also put boxes under the plants to get them closer to the two lamps.

Thanks for everyone's input. Hopefully this will give my little guys a steroid shot.

hruten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/27/2012, 2:12 pm

camprn wrote:
hruten wrote:

Also, a website I looked at said if you are playing catch up that a full 24 hours of light is ok until the plants get bigger... True? or False?
False, all plants require a little bit of down time. Give it 14-16 hours of light, should be plenty.

Camp I'm not too sure that is correct for in the arctic you get the night sun for several weeks continuous and plants do grow satisfactorily.

It might be that the night sun has a natural spectrum of light that waxes and wanes as time passes over the period of what we call a day.

Whereas the artificual growth lights do not have the daily cyclic variations but are concentrated & maintained as one fairly large artificial precise wavelength band of the spectrum instead.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3632

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/28/2012, 5:08 am

plantoid wrote:
camprn wrote:
hruten wrote:

Camp I'm not too sure that is correct for in the arctic you get the night sun for several weeks continuous and plants do grow satisfactorily.

It might be that the night sun has a natural spectrum of light that waxes and wanes as time passes over the period of what we call a day.

Whereas the artificual growth lights do not have the daily cyclic variations but are concentrated & maintained as one fairly large artificial precise wavelength band of the spectrum instead.
Plantoid you are correct, my answer was overly simple.
I think she is talking about plants like tomatoes and peppers that are
not native to polar regions of the Earth. I know that tomatoes and
strawberry in particular do a lot of cell growth, regeneration and
nutrient transport in the absence of light. Darkness is also required to trigger flowering in many species.

So I will amend my previous answer. Each plant species has different growth requirements involving light and it's wave length, time length & intensity.

The links below offer some good info about this question.

http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/142.pdf

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/requirements.html

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/greenhouse/nursery/guides/ornamentals/light.html

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 on 4/28/2012, 5:13 am

hruten wrote:Thanks for the great replies!

16 hours a day it is (on a timer so I don't have to think), and I also put boxes under the plants to get them closer to the two lamps.

Thanks for everyone's input. Hopefully this will give my little guys a steroid shot.

I hung my shop light (one plant/aquarium and one day light tube) from hooks screwed in above. Purchased 4 feet of chain link so I can adjust the light height. I put all my taller plants to the right and the shorter ones towards the left, and then adjusted the chain length on each end. Seems to be doing well.

Bill

mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/28/2012, 6:07 am

[quote="camprn"]
plantoid wrote:
camprn wrote:
hruten wrote:

Plantoid you are correct, my answer was overly simple.
I think she is talking about plants like tomatoes and peppers that are
not native to polar regions of the Earth. I know that tomatoes and
strawberry in particular do a lot of cell growth, regeneration and
nutrient transport in the absence of light. Darkness is also required to trigger flowering in many species.

So I will amend my previous answer. Each plant species has different growth requirements involving light and it's wave length, time length & intensity.

The links below offer some good info about this question.

http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/142.pdf

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/requirements.html

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/greenhouse/nursery/guides/ornamentals/light.html[/quote]

Camp many thanks for the links ,

They are ideal refreshers and also I've found a few new things in them .

Back in 1966 when I was undegoing my 3 yrs electronic engineer apprenticership I had to do a big slice of studies in the sciences of electricity & magnetism and also heat and light .

During those heady days I was enthralled at the prospects of playing with light for communications .. I never really gave it much of a thought wrt my gardens & seedlings till I read your posted links.

On eBay Uk I've found some high intensity LED full spectrum lights along with high blues & reds used mainly by the hydroponic growers of " strange weeds " .Wink They should be miserly on the electricity bill , so I might invest in several and make a combination of lights in a large hood to hang over the glasshouse seed propagation bed as I've got over 130 packs of seeds to play with and not a snowball in hells chance of having enough space this year to do all the sowing and growing I want to do in a short time.

I think I'll be doing a bit more reading on the internet not for weed propagation but for food crops & emerging seeds .. it sounds like it's not as expensive as I first thought .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 4/28/2012, 10:58 pm

hruten -

One thing I thought of today was your comment about putting the seedlings IN the aquarium. I would be concerned about low airflow and high humidity in the aquarium... My understanding is that seedlings do need some airflow. This is why they tell us to remove the domes after the seeds germinate. I've had aquariums in the past both for fish and for small animals, and they can tend to obstruct airflow to whatever is inside them. You may want to "rig" your aquarium light over your plants in some other way, or try to set up some airflow that will keep the air in the aquarium from getting too moist and promoting fungal growth... Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam on 4/28/2012, 11:34 pm

Plantoid, let us know what LED's you use and how it goes please.

Hubby built a light for the fish tank with LED light strips so if he can lay his hands on the right types I can get him to build me a custom grow light!

ericam

Female Posts : 283

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/29/2012, 5:59 am

ericam wrote:Plantoid, let us know what LED's you use and how it goes please.

Hubby built a light for the fish tank with LED light strips so if he can lay his hands on the right types I can get him to build me a custom grow light!

Go to " eBay UK " and have a search , there are all sorts direct from China / Hongkong etc. at darn good prices and most of the time they are honest & reliable enough to send them out.

It changes daily but the better sellers have loads of technical info on the sale items and on their ebay webshop pages.

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality on 4/29/2012, 12:26 pm

hruten wrote:My tomato and pepper seedlings are behind, so I thought I would put them in an old 10 gal fish tank and put a couple of lights on top. Does anyone know if full spectrum fish lamps are ok for the plants or do I need to purchase other bulbs? :scratch:

Also, a website I looked at said if you are playing catch up that a full 24 hours of light is ok until the plants get bigger... True? or False? My plants are all healthy, but only now getting true leaves. They are all in MM and 4" pots.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

They'll be fine. They grow plants in the water that are expecting 'daylight' filtered through shallow water. So the bulbs imitate daylight.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 422

View user profile

Back to top Go down

update on plants in aquarium

Post  hruten on 5/4/2012, 7:42 am

I have been watching my plants like a hungry bug and am pleased to report that they are ALL doing GREAT! The tomatoes and peppers which all began with only seed leaves all have multiple sets of true leaves and it looks like I am going to have to whittle down my risers soon for more growing room. I have been watching the moisture and there are nice air gaps between the lamp fixtures.

I am encouraged enough by their progress that I got a couple of pallets from the transfer station to make a new bed with. I may just be a gardener yet!

hruten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum