Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England October, 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:17 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:33 pm

» The Research Journey:Back to Eden Organic Gardening 101 Method with Wood Chips VS Leaves Composting Garden Soil
by yolos Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» Hello all
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:21 pm

» Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by yolos Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by llama momma Yesterday at 5:44 pm

» Testing MM Calculator
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:38 pm

» Keeping bees
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» Hello from Ann Arbor, Michigan!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:24 pm

» Fall garden push
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 1:27 pm

» Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box?
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:50 am

» The Research Journey:Composting Leaves Only
by has55 Yesterday at 11:01 am

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:34 am

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:24 am

» When do I prep potted raspberries for winter?
by trolleydriver 10/26/2016, 1:19 pm

» Please Welcome Our Newest Forum Moderator!
by CapeCoddess 10/26/2016, 12:07 pm

» who has chickens
by bigdogrock 10/26/2016, 7:12 am

» Sanderson's experiments with Bio-Flora Ag Products
by dstack 10/26/2016, 6:13 am

» Flowers that easily reseeded
by yolos 10/26/2016, 12:07 am

» Jade Plant
by Scorpio Rising 10/25/2016, 11:21 pm

» Fun Spider addition to Home Page
by Scorpio Rising 10/25/2016, 9:49 pm

» The Research Journey:Growing in a Raised Wood Chip Organic Gardening Bed
by has55 10/25/2016, 7:16 am

» The Research Journey:Building Healthy Soil
by has55 10/25/2016, 7:13 am

» the Research Journey:How to Grow Large Healthy Organic Tomatoes
by has55 10/25/2016, 7:07 am

» Bountea Compost Tea - Got it!!!
by sanderson 10/25/2016, 3:23 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 10/25/2016, 1:28 am

» Straw Bales with Seeds?
by donnainzone5 10/24/2016, 11:50 pm

Search SFG Forum

SFG CSA idea!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SFG CSA idea!

Post  littlesapphire on 4/30/2012, 7:26 am

Wow Michelle, that is a lot of money! To me, anyway. Property values are very low where I live. We only paid $50k for our house and it's a nice one in a decent neighborhood. Maybe you can talk them down on the price.

Kim, I like your idea! That would make a beautiful garden stand. We have a similar stand in our area and it's so cool to go see the veggies growing and get to take them home with us.

I decided that this year I'm going to focus on the very basics for my idea. I'm going to start by getting certified as a teacher, them find out if I can have a "farm" in the city limits, and them I'm going to see about purchasing the piece of land I've been eyeballing. I told hubby that I would probably not set up a business righht away, but focus more on building and setting up the boxes. And the first year I think I'll plant veggies and then donate them to our local soup kitchen. That way I have time to get the MM all right without pressure to get the highest yields possible for customers.

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 4/30/2012, 2:15 pm

Sapphire, this guy is being completely ridiculous; the property is valued at about 1/4 of what he's asking! In the current economy the values are dropping every year. We actually bought our house from his father, but he was handling the sale because his father is in a nursing home. This house was overpriced for the economic situation, also, and it took him 3 years to drop the price enough so he could generate true interest. We have a plan Plantoid suggested to hopefully make him realize the true value of the property, and will try that when we get ready to move on the idea.

I love your plan to get things started. While you won't see a return on your investment right away, you WILL establish yourself as a respected businessperson in the community by getting certified through the SFG Foundation and giving food from your first year efforts to the soup kitchen. You ought to consider continuing to donate some produce to that kitchen even after you have your business up & running. It's a tax write-off! Considering your plan, an attorney might be willing to talk to you about the local laws & regulations pro-bono, or at least discount his fees in trade for some organically grown, juicy tomatoes and yummy veggies. Wink You'll want to consult a professional eventually, to make sure you're doing everything correctly.

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 4/30/2012, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the tips, Michelle! I was actually just saying to hubby that I WISH I had someone to help me through the legal crap because I have no idea what I'm doing (plus NY state likes to make it as difficult as possible for small businesses). I will certainly find an attorney when the time comes. I plan on continuing to donate to the soup kitchen. I actually have a small space in my current garden reserved for them, too. I planted some Oregon Spring tomatoes (early cold tolerant determinate) so I can take in a large batch of fresh tomatoes early in the season. Wouldn't that be a treat!

Wow, that guy you're dealing with sure sounds like a royal pain. Keep us updated on how everything goes with him!

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:33 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum