Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:14 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 9:52 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:45 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 9:08 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:04 am

» Amaranth
by dstack Today at 8:05 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Heat for seeds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Heat for seeds

Post  scmelik on 4/28/2012, 10:54 am

I finally got my seedlings under lights but the only place i have to put them is in the basement and its a bit chilly down there. Its okay for the peas and beans but for the tomatoes and peppers its to cool. Can I use a regular heating pad under them or is there something else I should use?

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat for seeds

Post  GWN on 4/28/2012, 10:58 am

The problem, I found, with regular heating pads is that they now have an automatic turn off.
Peas will germinate at low temps.
What i did was put my seed tray ontop of my hot water tank and that worked better than my seedling heating pad
Cant you plant directly in the garden now?

GWN

Posts : 2719
Join date : 2012-01-14
Age : 60
Location : british columbia zone 5a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat for seeds

Post  scmelik on 4/28/2012, 11:13 am

@GWN wrote:The problem, I found, with regular heating pads is that they now have an automatic turn off.
Peas will germinate at low temps.
What i did was put my seed tray ontop of my hot water tank and that worked better than my seedling heating pad
Cant you plant directly in the garden now?

everything is already sprouted but the peppers and tomatoes seem to be at a stand still and I think its cause its so cool in the basement. The peas and bean are going great and I could put them outside but things here have been so rainy lately that the ones that are outside are looking alittle rough, so I am trying to protect the ones inside till the weather turns a bit. The peppers and tomatoes still have a few weeks till they can go outside.

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat for seeds

Post  quiltbea on 4/28/2012, 6:27 pm

If your basement is too cool, it will stop the growth of the tomatoes and peppers, but they will pick up again when it warms up. Can you put a small electric heater nearby in the basement that turns off automatically if it falls over or gets too warm?

Ideally the temps in your basement should be between 60-64*F when under the lights. Germinated seeds may pop up on the heat mat, but to grow well they need a drop in temps to the range I listed above. Deviations will just make them take longer to grow.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat for seeds

Post  scmelik on 4/29/2012, 8:11 am

@quiltbea wrote:If your basement is too cool, it will stop the growth of the tomatoes and peppers, but they will pick up again when it warms up. Can you put a small electric heater nearby in the basement that turns off automatically if it falls over or gets too warm?

Ideally the temps in your basement should be between 60-64*F when under the lights. Germinated seeds may pop up on the heat mat, but to grow well they need a drop in temps to the range I listed above. Deviations will just make them take longer to grow.

unfortunately I don't have any small space heaters to use. The temp down there is probably hovering around that 55-58 degree point. Unfortunately I am going to have to just deal with the situation as it is, maybe next year I will be able to have a little better setup down there to grow my plants.

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat for seeds

Post  plantoid on 4/29/2012, 8:40 am

last night / early this morningi fell asleep thinking of your problem , this morning I had a solution ...if you have an electric slow cook pot nor consider purchasing one.

When on holiday as well as cooking an all in one pot stew for us to come back to we often use our slow cook pot sat on the caravan floor empty , set on auto setting to keep the caravan warm when at sites where there is electric hook up .

One of those cookers from the likes of freecycle ( where ours came from ) or even purchased and put under a plastic or cloth sheeet covering the majority of the bed would give sufficient heat that was retained and be very cheap to run as they only use between 30 & 40 watts .

Best of all is you have a slow cook pot into the bargain and they last years and years .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 65

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat for seeds

Post  scmelik on 4/29/2012, 8:54 am

@plantoid wrote:last night / early this morningi fell asleep thinking of your problem , this morning I had a solution ...if you have an electric slow cook pot nor consider purchasing one.

When on holiday as well as cooking an all in one pot stew for us to come back to we often use our slow cook pot sat on the caravan floor empty , set on auto setting to keep the caravan warm when at sites where there is electric hook up .

One of those cookers from the likes of freecycle ( where ours came from ) or even purchased and put under a plastic or cloth sheeet covering the majority of the bed would give sufficient heat that was retained and be very cheap to run as they only use between 30 & 40 watts .

Best of all is you have a slow cook pot into the bargain and they last years and years .

I am not exactly sure what you are saying here. Are you saying to set my crockpot (slow cooker) under my grow light and put my seedling cups in the crockpot? I believe that would get WAY to hot and melt my seedling cups.

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat for seeds

Post  plantoid on 4/29/2012, 2:30 pm

@scmelik wrote:
@plantoid wrote:last night / early this morningi fell asleep thinking of your problem , this morning I had a solution ...if you have an electric slow cook pot nor consider purchasing one.

When on holiday as well as cooking an all in one pot stew for us to come back to we often use our slow cook pot sat on the caravan floor empty , set on auto setting to keep the caravan warm when at sites where there is electric hook up .

One of those cookers from the likes of freecycle ( where ours came from ) or even purchased and put under a plastic or cloth sheeet covering the majority of the bed would give sufficient heat that was retained and be very cheap to run as they only use between 30 & 40 watts .

Best of all is you have a slow cook pot into the bargain and they last years and years .

I am not exactly sure what you are saying here. Are you saying to set my crockpot (slow cooker) under my grow light and put my seedling cups in the crockpot? I believe that would get WAY to hot and melt my seedling cups.




No ,,,,, make a tent like enclosure around the light fixture and growing plants and put the electric crockpot inside the tent it to bring up the air temperature. You might hit the mid seventies if your lucky .

If it got / gets too warm after an hour or so open one of the sides up a wee bit and experiment to get the temperature you are after and / or even switch it to the low setting and keep an eye on it for several hours to see how close it is to your target temperatures



This is how I've managed to keep my glasshouse above 40 oF this winter ..they are each 7 watt compact fluroescent bulbs and cost me about 20 pence a day to run . the power supply to ther green house is coming in via an earth leakage protection device . Heat above each bulb is barely 80 oF so they are very safe close to all sorts of things


plantoid

Male Posts : 3636
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 65

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat for seeds

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:38 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum