Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Weck jars
by camprn Today at 7:05 pm

» Squash and peppers keep dying! Help!
by boffer Today at 6:47 pm

» Keeping bees
by camprn Today at 6:45 pm

» Built a Compost Strainer Labor Day Weekend, 2014
by dstack Today at 6:25 pm

» Tomato Suckers
by greatgranny Today at 6:06 pm

» Sept tomatoes
by llama momma Today at 5:51 pm

» Okra questions
by yolos Today at 5:33 pm

» My new garden beds
by donnainzone10 Today at 5:32 pm

» New England August 2014
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:10 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by Marc Iverson Today at 5:03 pm

» Canning
by llama momma Today at 4:59 pm

» New England September 2014
by RJARPCGP Today at 4:40 pm

» Every first time on a new month, logged out
by boffer Today at 3:26 pm

» tomato surprise
by herblover Today at 2:49 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 2:05 pm

» ROOTS ROOTS ROOTS..really need some help on this one
by sanderson Today at 2:02 pm

» Doing Battle With The Deadly Nematode
by dstack Today at 9:11 am

» PNW: August 2014
by sanderson Today at 4:06 am

» Beets in Memphis
by sanderson Today at 3:48 am

» Compost: Bekeley 18 day [hot] method
by sanderson Today at 12:47 am

» Mid-At Sep 2014 - How's your fall garden going?
by Dunkinjean Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» First Garden
by Marc Iverson Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» When to plant collard greens this fall?
by yolos Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by kauairosina Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Canning Peaches and Peach Conserve
by walshevak Yesterday at 7:48 pm

» problems posting photos
by camprn Yesterday at 4:21 pm

» Mid-At Aug 2014 - Cooler than normal August?
by sfg4uKim Yesterday at 2:35 pm

» Which garden veggies have taproots?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 11:30 am

» black skin on peppers
by Judy McConnell Yesterday at 10:15 am

» Too Many yellow pear tomatoes? Make jam
by Judy McConnell Yesterday at 10:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rhubarb Rhubarb

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rhubarb starts

Post  tomperrin on 5/12/2012, 10:09 am

GWN wrote:Thank you, that is a very thorough update on Rhubarb.
I got about 6 plants last year from my mothers huge plant.
Planted them in May, and they proceeded to die. They seemed totally dead by August. dead dead.
This year I was totally shocked that they all came up except one, and they had all divided into two or three plants.
They are not growing really much off the ground though, and the stalks are small.
Should I treat them as first years, or second years.

I would treat them as first years. The idea is to let the leaves grow in order to develop the root, same as asparagus.

Tom

tomperrin

Male Posts: 350
Location: Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rhubarb Rhubarb

Post  givvmistamps on 5/12/2012, 1:39 pm

tomperrin wrote:

Rhubarb Planting Guide
... Following a season of growth, the rhubarb crown becomes dormant and temperatures below 40-F are required to stimulate bud break and subsequent growth.
Tom

I'm trying to figure this out...if we get temperatures below 40*F periodically, but it doesn't STAY below 40*F for very long (sometimes it drops below 40* at night, then goes back up to 60* during the day), does that mean I can't grow rhubarb down here?

givvmistamps

Female Posts: 862
Location: Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Breaking dormancy

Post  tomperrin on 5/12/2012, 2:26 pm

My first response is I don't know the answer.
But,
If you can grow garlic and potatoes, which also require a period of cold to break dormancy, then you might be able to grow rhubarb. (I think). Of course, garlic and spuds can be refrigerated. I'm not too sure how you would refrigerate a whole plant, or keep it cold outside. Bear in mind that the leaves and stalks die back, so what you have in the ground are the roots. Thinking out loud, if the temperature drops, I would keep the ground wet on the theory that evaporation would keep the ground cool. So if the temperature drops, wet the ground, then cover with cardboard over sticks or something to create a breeze under the cardboard and over the plants, while keeping the sun off.

Garden center cut rhubarb is costing me $3.99 lb here in NJ. So trying the plants is well worth the effort.

Tom

tomperrin

Male Posts: 350
Location: Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

all things Rhubarb...

Post  hruten on 5/12/2012, 7:34 pm

I recently went searching for a rhubarb recipe and found this website that has ALL THINGS RHUBARB

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

So if you want any information from propogation and growing to recipes for rhubarb wine this is the place. BTW, the deep dish rhubarb strawberry pie was wonderful!!

hruten

Female Posts: 159

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 5/12/2012, 8:08 pm

hruten wrote:I recently went searching for a rhubarb recipe and found this website that has ALL THINGS RHUBARB

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

So if you want any information from propogation and growing to recipes for rhubarb wine this is the place. BTW, the deep dish rhubarb strawberry pie was wonderful!!

I knew there was a reason I never heard of rhubarb until we moved to Kansas City, MO. from NC. Found this blurb in the above link.

Rhubarb can not be very successfully grown in the southern regions of the United States, although there are exceptions. Rhubarb is a popular garden vegetable in northern areas of the United States but unfortunately will not do well in hot, dry summers of the south. If it survives the heat it will not grow well will produce only thin leaf stalks which are spindly and lack color. Rhubarb will wilt very quickly on hot days (over 90 °F).

It's not the cold, but the heat factor.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts: 3902

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best Rhubarb Cake recipe

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 6/22/2012, 9:07 pm

Recently, we visited a great historical museum in Brownsville, Oregon. Amongst the volumes about Linn County for sale, was one titled "Favorite Rhubarb Recipes." The following caught my eye:

Best Rhubarb Cake Ever

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp. baking powder

1 cup rhubarb, chopped
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Lemon juice
1 cup brown sugar
nuts, if desired
1 or 2 Qts. good whiskey

Before starting, sample whiskey to check for quality. Good, isn’t it? Now go ahead.
Select a large mixing bowl, measuring cups, etc.; check the whiskey again, as it must be just right, not too strong, just right. To assure the whiskey is of the highest quality, pour 1 level cup into a glass and drink it as fast you can. Any burning? No? You’re good to go.
With an electric mixer, beat 1 cup of butter in large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teathpoon of thugar and beat again. Meanwhile, make sure the whiskey is still of the finest quality. (Cry another tup—open second quart if necessary). Add 1 arge legg, 2 c. of Rhubub and beat ‘till it till high. If druit gets stuck in beaters, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the whishky again, hecking for tonscricisity. Then sift 2 pups of salty or anything at all, it really doesn’t matter.
Sample whishkey agaiin. Sifth 1/2 pint lemon shuice. Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts. Add 1 babblespoon of brown thugar, or whatever color you can find and wix it willy swell. Crease oven and churn da cake pan to three-fifty degwees. Now pour the whiley mess into the coven and ake. Scheck the whishkey again and bo to ged.

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts: 1402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 6/22/2012, 9:18 pm

lol!
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts: 3902

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluelacedredhead on 6/22/2012, 9:23 pm

givvmistamps wrote:
tomperrin wrote:

Rhubarb Planting Guide
... Following a season of growth, the rhubarb crown becomes dormant and temperatures below 40-F are required to stimulate bud break and subsequent growth.
Tom

I'm trying to figure this out...if we get temperatures below 40*F periodically, but it doesn't STAY below 40*F for very long (sometimes it drops below 40* at night, then goes back up to 60* during the day), does that mean I can't grow rhubarb down here?

No, you can't grow rhubarb as a perennial in the southern states but it can be grown as an annual. Apparently as a new member I can't post external links so the best I can do is suggest you do a browser search for growing rhubarb in Texas Wink

bluelacedredhead

Female Posts: 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:Rhubarb Rhubarb

Post  reservoir on 4/13/2014, 7:43 am

I went to my allotment today and my beautiful rhubarb has what looks like flower stalks.  I never seen anything like this.  Do I leave them on do I remove them and if so is only to dead head the flower or is it the whole stalk that needs to go.  I am so looking forward to strawberry and rhubarb pie and crumble.

Oh and  can rhubarb leaves be put on the compost heap as the are poisonous.  I usually make a tea with the leaves as one of the old timers told me.it helps keep cabbage white fly away.

Christine

thinking

reservoir

Female Posts: 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 4/13/2014, 7:58 am

Remove them.

johnp

Male Posts: 269

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re; rhubarb rhubarb

Post  reservoir on 4/13/2014, 12:26 pm

Thank you! Smile

reservoir

Female Posts: 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 4/13/2014, 12:30 pm

Let me tell you 'bout the old days when...
we used to do our gardening on the ground!

boffer

Male Posts: 6302

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 4/13/2014, 12:51 pm

Here's the page that was recommended earlier in this thread for those of us in the hot dry areas of the country:
http://www.texasgardener.com/pastissues/julaug03/rhubarb.html

I bought a plant in Arizona this spring and have it getting going in my garden. I guess I'll be putting some shade cloth around it and I planted it where it will get afternoon shade. I guess I might not get much out of it - DARN!

However, I have seed so I'll follow his instructions for next year and see how well I can do with it. As someone said at $3.99 a lb in the stores, it's worth the work!

audrey.jeanne.roberts

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/audrey.jeannes.expressions

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/13/2014, 1:16 pm

boffer wrote:

Remove the flower stalks as they are seen. During the first year of planting, the stalks should not be picked, since food from the leaves is needed to nourish the roots for the next year's growth. One light picking may be taken during the year following planting if the plants are vigorous, and beginning the second year following planting, the entire plant may be harvested.

I've let the flowers stay, and I've tried removing the flower stalk.  I haven't seen a difference.

Once the flowers turn to seed and ripen , like most soft cell plants the plant crown tends to die down a bit for the year , chopping out the flower spike delays things & allows a longer harvest period & the rhubarb is not so sour  .

Over here we  also recommend to split the crowns every three years in early autumn before the frosts & snows and plant the split crown right way up in a new well manured location as the ground will have been depleted of a lot of nutrients even if you top dress with composted manure .

Rhubarb seeds tend to do well , out of 25 seeds I sowed every one came up.   I grew them all on to about 4 inches tall in five inch pots after transplanting from individual sown seeds in 2 inch pots .  I gave 21 of them away ..often getting perennial flower bulbs corms & tubers in exchange.

Because of the second stage of landscaping our garden being imminent I dug up all five crowns out the mother earth garden a few weeks ago and transplanted them into (  Horror of Horrors ) an inconvenient empty ANSFG bed where they will eventually shade other crops  No .

Because it is now so warm outside , two have started to throw up flower spikes.
They will be getting cut out in a few minutes time , as all I want to really do is keep the crowns alive for splitting & replanting in a dedicated bed this autumn .

Tip

Whenever harvesting .. slid thumb down groove of stem , push hard and twist when your thumb is down in the crown and the stem comes out easily ..

Never harvest all stalks  & always leave at least four stalks  over four inches tall with leaf on the crown so it can photosynthesize ,  as this prolongs the harvesting season.

They do like a good drink of water as well but not too much nor too often .

plantoid

Male Posts: 2935

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum