Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spaghetti Squash ?
by countrynaturals Today at 8:41 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by sanderson Today at 8:38 pm

» Biochar?
by countrynaturals Today at 7:16 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 5:34 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Today at 5:16 pm

» Today's Harvest
by trolleydriver Today at 5:08 pm

» Worm bin?
by sanderson Today at 4:16 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 3:25 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:32 pm

» Coffee Substitute?
by countrynaturals Today at 1:02 pm

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Today at 10:57 am

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:04 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:00 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid Today at 7:27 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Today at 12:08 am

» Mels book
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Yesterday at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Yesterday at 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:36 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/19/2017, 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 5:31 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting for the trellis

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver on 5/20/2017, 6:48 am

sanderson wrote:TD,  Do I see a new bed in the future? Wink   I love Canadian CN winter squash.  The necks are pure meat.  I plant 8 winter squash in a 2'x4' bed.  In 2013, I planted them in the fall, thinking they were "winter" squash.  Embarassed  In 2014, I planted 4 Winter squashes with two 2' trellises just at the ends.  In 2015 and 2016, it was 8 WS with a third trellis in the middle.  This year it is 8 WS with 4 trellises.  We shall see.

Turan,  You gave such a thorough answer, specifying the varieties and their trellising needs. Very Happy
sanderson, I started to prepare the location for the new bed on Friday ( see my Third Year thread). I'm surprised that you only needed 2' trellises. I assume that is the width not the height. Do you allow the vines to drape over the sides of your TTs and trellises down to the ground? 

I'm thinking of using ladder trellises down one long side of the bed.  One side of the ladder trellis would have it's legs inside the bed or just outside the bed and the other side of the ladder trellis would rest on the regular ground a few away from the bed. OR would it be better to go with an EMT Conduit and nylon web type of trellis per the ANSFG book?

Ladder trellis like this ... 

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3785
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  sanderson on 5/20/2017, 2:26 pm

Embarassed  2' wide!!  The winter squash boxes are 2'x4' and the orientation in the landscape mandates how the trellises must to set.  

In other areas, the 2'x4' boxes are oriented so I can place 4' wide trellises.

The ladder trellis is pretty.  Which type of trellis you choose is up to you.  The ladder is pretty but has a big foot print.  The EMC is plain, but doesn't take up any space.  Winter squash vines can get really long (17' for one of mine that I measured one year) and later in the season the daughter vines start growing.  I let those sprawl out of the box.   WS on right meeting up with cantaloupes on the left, late season.  
Close up.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14789
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver on 5/22/2017, 5:03 pm

Back again but this time concerning tomatoes.  I want to grow tomatoes in one of my 4x4 beds. There is a 6 foot high trellis on the north side (actually north-westish).  I have True Black Brandywine, Sweet Million and Roma indeterminate transplants ready to go in. I always remove suckers from my indeterminate tomatoes as they grow except I sometimes allow two to three stems to grow.  Can I plant two Brandwyine, one Sweet Million and one Roma at 1 plant per square along that trellis?  Does it make sense to mix up the varieties like that or would it be better to grow only one variety (e.g., the brandywine) along the trellis?

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3785
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  yolos on 5/22/2017, 6:21 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Back again but this time concerning tomatoes.  I want to grow tomatoes in one of my 4x4 beds. There is a 6 foot high trellis on the north side (actually north-westish).  I have True Black Brandywine, Sweet Million and Roma indeterminate transplants ready to go in. I always remove suckers from my indeterminate tomatoes as they grow except I sometimes allow two to three stems to grow.  Can I plant two Brandwyine, one Sweet Million and one Roma at 1 plant per square along that trellis?  Does it make sense to mix up the varieties like that or would it be better to grow only one variety (e.g., the brandywine) along the trellis?
Mixing up the varieties is not a problem.  I do it every year.  I am not a fan of the one per square foot so I will let someone else help you on that.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3267
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver on 5/22/2017, 6:24 pm

yolos wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:Back again but this time concerning tomatoes.  I want to grow tomatoes in one of my 4x4 beds. There is a 6 foot high trellis on the north side (actually north-westish).  I have True Black Brandywine, Sweet Million and Roma indeterminate transplants ready to go in. I always remove suckers from my indeterminate tomatoes as they grow except I sometimes allow two to three stems to grow.  Can I plant two Brandwyine, one Sweet Million and one Roma at 1 plant per square along that trellis?  Does it make sense to mix up the varieties like that or would it be better to grow only one variety (e.g., the brandywine) along the trellis?
Mixing up the varieties is not a problem.  I do it every year.  I am not a fan of the one per square foot so I will let someone else help you on that.
yolos ... What spacing do you use?  In my Old Style SFG beds (and prior to that in my regular garden) I planted indeterminate tomatoes 18 inches apart and used 6 foot wooden stakes to hold them in place.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3785
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  yolos on 5/22/2017, 6:43 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
yolos wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:Back again but this time concerning tomatoes.  I want to grow tomatoes in one of my 4x4 beds. There is a 6 foot high trellis on the north side (actually north-westish).  I have True Black Brandywine, Sweet Million and Roma indeterminate transplants ready to go in. I always remove suckers from my indeterminate tomatoes as they grow except I sometimes allow two to three stems to grow.  Can I plant two Brandwyine, one Sweet Million and one Roma at 1 plant per square along that trellis?  Does it make sense to mix up the varieties like that or would it be better to grow only one variety (e.g., the brandywine) along the trellis?
Mixing up the varieties is not a problem.  I do it every year.  I am not a fan of the one per square foot so I will let someone else help you on that.
yolos ... What spacing do you use?  In my Old Style SFG beds (and prior to that in my regular garden) I planted indeterminate tomatoes 18 inches apart and used 6 foot wooden stakes to hold them in place.
Nobody is quite as nutty as I am about my tomato spacing.  I have 2 foot diameter cages that are eight feet tall.  So two foot centers is my closest.  I have put three tomatoes in an eight foot long box.  There are a few reasons that I space them so far apart.  
1).  Our growing season for tomatoes is 7 months long.  So if the tomatoes do not die from disease or drought or heat, they will be huge (monsters)by the end of the season.  
2).  We have severe disease pressure here in Georgia.  We get early blight every year unless we spray heavily and often with fungicide.  Which I never do for various reasons.  So the farther apart they are planted the easier they are to take care of and slow down any diseases.  
3).  Watering problems.  I do not have drip irrigation and it is so hot down here for so long, the closer you plant them the more often you have to water them.  Having a little distance between the plants allows for more soil to absorb more water and therefore less often watering.
4).  I have plenty of room in my SFG to plant lots of tomatoes and still have room to plant everything I could possibly want to plant.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3267
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver on 5/22/2017, 7:04 pm

Thanks yolos for that explanation.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3785
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  Turan on 5/23/2017, 12:44 am

Does camprn plant that close for her Florida weave? That is the only way I can imagine planting that close.
My tomato beds are 30" by 12 feet and I plant 12 ID tomatoes (of several varieties) in that space using strings. I plant as if I had six 30" rows with 2 plants per row. So each plant gets 15" x 24". Even though I do not have the disease pressure that Yolo does, I like being able to easily reach and prune or help pollinate or pick fruit etc. I once did 18" x 18" and had 16 plants. I found it too difficult. However variety does matter in this. I don't know the varieties you are planting well enough to comment on their rambunctiousness level.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2309
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  sanderson on 5/23/2017, 4:41 am

One bed is 2'x7 feet and I have indeterminates planted in a checkerboard pattern, 3 on one row, 4 on the other.  I trenched them towards the sides so there is plenty of room between them.  The BTE are caged 27" apart (drip line has 9" spacing drippers so I used those as guide).  Three caged cherries are in a 2'x3' TT but they can do what ever they like. :-)

Camp trenches hers when she plants. I think they are pointed to the sides, also, if I remember correctly.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14789
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver on 5/23/2017, 7:58 am

Sanderson ... can you explain further what you mean by being "trenched toward the sides"? Do you mean you lie the seedlings down in a trench with their tops pointing toward the sides that have a trellis?

Something like in this video?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMNA6eSDXI


This "farmer" on Youtube does one tomato plant per square but he prunes them to a single stem.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6_ATF4lp4

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3785
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  Robbomb116 on 5/23/2017, 8:59 am

TD,  that video is actually the very first thing I found related to square foot gardening. And is what made me look into it further.  I plan on trying his method, with 1 per square and pruning to 1 stem myself.  But as this is my first year gardening, I can't share my results with you yet!
avatar
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 322
Join date : 2016-07-07
Age : 28
Location : Bismarck ND, Zone 4a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/23/2017, 12:32 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Sanderson ... can you explain further what you mean by being "trenched toward the sides"? Do you mean you lie the seedlings down in a trench with their tops pointing toward the sides that have a trellis?

Something like in this video?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMNA6eSDXI


This "farmer" on Youtube does one tomato plant per square but he prunes them to a single stem.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6_ATF4lp4

I do both of those. I think I learned them both from the ANSFG book.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6455
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  sanderson on 5/24/2017, 2:57 am

trolleydriver wrote:Sanderson ... can you explain further what you mean by being "trenched toward the sides"? Do you mean you lie the seedlings down in a trench with their tops pointing toward the sides that have a trellis?

Something like in this video?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMNA6eSDXI
Yes. I like the video.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14789
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/1/2017, 9:28 pm

It truly depends on Determinate or Indeterminate.....they are completely different creatures.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5363
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum