Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by has55 Today at 3:21 am

» New England September 2016
by RJARPCGP Today at 1:18 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 12:45 am

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Kelejan Today at 12:38 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:28 am

» Another item for composting.
by Kelejan Today at 12:23 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Today at 12:22 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:05 pm

» compost thermometer
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Turan Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Turan Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» mulching
by dstack Yesterday at 1:46 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:08 am

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:03 am

» Mix for making soil blocks
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:54 am

» soil testing
by Kelejan 9/23/2016, 9:26 pm

» Kale Question
by countrynaturals 9/23/2016, 9:15 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:49 pm

» A traditional German dish with a Fall twist.
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:38 pm

» Apparently Radishes Need Sun
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 5:49 pm

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by landarch 9/23/2016, 9:46 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by trolleydriver 9/22/2016, 8:27 am

» The Most Annoying Pest In The Yard
by has55 9/22/2016, 7:51 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ants'y compost

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ants'y compost

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/6/2012, 8:13 pm

A number of years ago, a tribe of forest ants (formica rufa?) built a huge anthill near one of the trails through our back acres. At one time, it was taller than our then-5 year-old twin grandchildren. Then it looked like it had been attacked by something (PapaVino saw a flicker scratching on it one time). Whatever attacked it must have killed the queen, because the colony died out. This past week I got to thinking: Is an old ant hill, full of fine pieces of forest duff, some kind of compost? Digging down into the old hill, the loamy-smelling stuff was about the color of 80% cocoa chocolate. Light, fluffy, riddled with mycelium, but without a single earthworm. Hmmmm. Question to anyone out there: is this truly compost, or should it be mixed with something more attractive to earthworms before using as a component of Mel's Mix? (side note: there is another huge hill of these ants not too far from the old hill; interesting to watch, and definitely not fire ants.)

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ants'y compost

Post  RoOsTeR on 5/8/2012, 7:33 pm

Nonna, what ever became of this? I searched around a bit and never came up with much. Just about everything I found was more geared towards getting rid of ants.

RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 3851

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/8/2012, 7:45 pm

I'm using this "ant-generated compost." It seemed like a good idea considering the ants have been gone for at least four years, and maples and brambles are coming up like gangbusters all around the hill. Digging down into the hill (which, BTW, is almost 3 feet tall), it's very rich looking, dark brown, with a clean, loamy scent. Texture-wise, it's more like aged peatmoss than the combination of fir needles and other kinds of Northwest forest duff usually associated with the hills of these ants (which I think are formica rufa--black/red ants). So, I'm using it in an experimental 4'x4' brand new bed, adding 4 other composts to the anthill/steer compost mix and the vermiculite. Because of its texture, I'm substituting the anthill compost for 1/2 the peatmoss. Will be interesting to see how it performs alongside the three beds with traditional Mel's Mix. If there even IS any difference. Besides, no matter what we get, we can eat our mistakes.

Nonna.PapaVino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 5/8/2012, 7:57 pm

This was the only thing fairly close to what you were looking for. I found it on another forum so take it for what it's worth Razz

The activities of ants will turn your compost into the finest growing medium you will ever see. All part of the natural process.

That was in response to this question:

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get rid of an anthill in a compost heap ?

RoOsTeR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 5/8/2012, 7:58 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:This was the only thing fairly close to what you were looking for. I found it on another forum so take it for what it's worth Razz

The activities of ants will turn your compost into the finest growing medium you will ever see. All part of the natural process.

That was in response to this question:

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get rid of an anthill in a compost heap ?

Good luck Nonna and let us know how it goes

RoOsTeR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/8/2012, 8:02 pm

Okay, will let y'all know when I know something. The north side of the new bed will be planted in peas and pole beans to train up a cattle panel arched to the next bed. Center 8 squares will be tomatoes. The four squares on the south side are reserved for the grandkids to plant. Who knows what they'll choose. There is enough more of the anthill to harvest enough for a third new 4'x4' bed. Lots to experiment with.

Nonna.PapaVino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Antsy Compost

Post  Triciasgarden on 5/8/2012, 8:21 pm

Oooh that old anthill sounds wonderful to use! I will keep tabs to see how it works!

On getting rid of ants in a compost pile, I am thinking that hot water poured on them will kill the ants. You may have to do this several times. Will the hot water damage the work the compost pile is doing? I have used ant baits outside before. I put it in the trail of ants and they took it home and it did its work. I did use one set of ant traps that didn't work. I don't know if they were old or what. I would wonder if it IS bad to let the ants stay in the compost pile. They may actually be helpful. Maybe others would have some input on this.

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/8/2012, 9:00 pm

Not that our observations of the forest ant hill would help much, but we THINK it was repeated digging and ant-eating by a Northern Flicker that destroyed the original hill. The flicker probably scratched into the brooder chamber and ate the queen, then the hill died out. PapaVino observed a flicker working on the hill on at least two occasions. Sorry Tricia, I don't know where you can hire a flicker to help you with your compost pile.

Flicker

Nonna.PapaVino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  garden girl on 5/27/2012, 11:47 am

I just went to my compost pile yesterday to get some for my garden - it has been sitting for a few weeks without my attention - and when I turned over a couple of shovel-fulls, it was crawling with ants! I bit creepy for me - who likes ants in moderation, at best! It did look like they were busy working on the pile for me, but I really need to use it. So I asked my husband for help. He provided the muscle-power to do some active turning of the pile. He said down deeper the pile was warm, so still composting. Hopefully his work will get it all cooking again and the ants will find a different home. I should be more appreciative of their hard work, I suppose!

garden girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:07 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum