Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 6:06 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 pm

by Kelejan Today at 4:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 4:48 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 1:19 pm

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 12:43 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Today at 12:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 12:05 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 11:52 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:32 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Quick-Growing Compact Plant?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quick-Growing Compact Plant?

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 5/6/2012, 10:12 pm

Since I was late getting my garden box started, I had to rely on plants instead of seeds for some of my crops. I really want to have spinach but so far I haven't been able to find spinach plants. I'm going to two garden centers tomorrow so hopefully they'll have them. If they don't, then possibly I can get them at a flower and plant sale in NJ on Saturday. If I can't get them there, what else could I grow? The original plan was to grow spinach in 6 of the same squares that I have bell peppers in, so I would need something quick-growing and compact if I can't get spinach.

Any suggestions?

Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick-Growing Compact Plant?

Post  CarolinaGirl on 5/6/2012, 10:21 pm

I'll admit this is my first year gardening, but why is it too late to get spinach seeds and direct sow? I have a packet of Burpee's Baby's Leaf spinach that I planted that only takes 30-40 days. You can pick it at 30 days for things like salads and such or wait til 40 days for cooking. I'm much farther south than you are and it says I'm ok to plant through May. Maybe look at some different varieties?

CarolinaGirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 5/6/2012, 11:57 pm

@CarolinaGirl wrote:I'll admit this is my first year gardening, but why is it too late to get spinach seeds and direct sow? I have a packet of Burpee's Baby's Leaf spinach that I planted that only takes 30-40 days. You can pick it at 30 days for things like salads and such or wait til 40 days for cooking. I'm much farther south than you are and it says I'm ok to plant through May. Maybe look at some different varieties?

+1

Or you could get you gobs of radishes, lettuce is pretty quick too!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 5/7/2012, 12:04 am

I'll have to see if I can get that spinach variety. Thanks for the idea. What a Face

I just assumed that since I was late getting started, I should have spinach plants.

I already have 1 square planted with radishes and 2 more set aside for later. As far as lettuce goes, I have 3 squares with different varieties of leaf lettuce planted.

Too Tall Tomatoes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 5/7/2012, 12:17 am

i would direct seed your spinach Very Happy

not sure of your temps there....but...since you are planting them in with your pepers then they should get shaded when and if your temps get to hot for the spinach....they may then not bolt....that is the main problem with growing spinach late in some areas....the heat will cause the spinach to send up a flower before you are able to get a good harvest....

hugs

rose

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 5/7/2012, 12:20 am

I'd like to get whatever I can out of the spinach. I figured since I have 6 squares set aside for it, I should get a pretty decent crop. Then I will replant again later for a fall crop. What a Face

Too Tall Tomatoes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 5/7/2012, 12:27 am

I have tyree spinach and it is 37 days, doesn't take long to pop up either Very Happy

cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/7/2012, 7:12 am

Sow some spinach seed, they grow quickly. You still have time. What a Face

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe on 5/7/2012, 5:58 pm

Give the spinach a try. I planted two squares of spinach about 3 weeks apart. The second planting germinated much faster b/c the ground was warmer. Even if they don't get to full size, you can still enjoy the young leaves.

JustMe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  acara on 5/7/2012, 6:10 pm

Raddish ...

Just remember to direct-sow & not transplant ....

Dont ask me how I know Evil or Very Mad

acara

Male Posts : 1012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 5/7/2012, 6:12 pm

I forgot about this thread.....

Well I went to the two different garden centers this morning and neither of them had spinach plants. So, I wound up buying seeds. Bloomsdale Long Standing is the variety. I planted the spinach in the 6 remaining pepper squares. I also added two more cauliflower plants to unoccupied squares.

While tending my box, I noticed the carrots have started germinating as well as the two different kinds of green beans, plus the sugar snaps. What a Face

The broccoli raab may have started germinating too. I can't tell if it's them or a seed that survived the composting process.

I have 1 square planted with radish seeds plus two more set aside for more radishes....different varieties What a Face

Too Tall Tomatoes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimberlee on 5/7/2012, 6:15 pm

If you like it, my arugula has done wonderfully and sprouted pretty quickly. And it's mighty tasty when you pick the leaves young. Eat in salads, put on sandwiches, wilt in pasta. Gosh, my mouth is watering, I loooove arugula. (It's a veg-eh-tah-bull...)

kimberlee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  acara on 5/7/2012, 6:16 pm

Raddish is my new favorite "filler" ... .a lot of the varieties are 30-40 days from "shove in the hole" to "shove in the mouth".

acara

Male Posts : 1012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 5/7/2012, 6:50 pm

@acara wrote:Raddish is my new favorite "filler" ... .a lot of the varieties are 30-40 days from "shove in the hole" to "shove in the mouth".
lol!

That just sounds funny!

The first variety I planted is "cherry belle". A neighbor gave me that in seed tape form so I figured I'd give it a shot. The variety I want to plant next is Watermelon. That looks so cool.

Since I don't have any more room for anything, I'm making a list of veggies to try in the fall. Arugula is one of them What a Face

Too Tall Tomatoes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 5/7/2012, 7:16 pm

I've never tried the watermelon radish either, but I think they look cool too. Heaven forbid I actually break down and buy another $1.98 packet of seeds Razz

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/7/2012, 7:55 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:I've never tried the watermelon radish either, but I think they look cool too. Heaven forbid I actually break down and buy another $1.98 packet of seeds Razz
Or build another box

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 5/7/2012, 7:57 pm

rofl funny post

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 5/7/2012, 8:18 pm

Lol, seeds are so cheap I end up with more than I can ever plant!

I did buy some watermelon radishes this year though! Keep in mind that they're Asian radishes, so they're rather bigger than a conventional radish and they take 60 days instead of 30.

littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 5/7/2012, 9:46 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:Lol, seeds are so cheap I end up with more than I can ever plant!

I did buy some watermelon radishes this year though! Keep in mind that they're Asian radishes, so they're rather bigger than a conventional radish and they take 60 days instead of 30.

The packet of Watermelon Radishes I have says 35 days to harvest.

However I just checked burpee's website and it says there 60 days to harvest. What's up with that??

Too Tall Tomatoes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JennAndCompany on 5/7/2012, 10:36 pm

LOL - I just asked my husband if we should build another square... he rolled his eyes and walked out of the room. We have the wood and I might have the room (on the other side of the house). Last year we had 10-4x4 squares (which was way too many squares for me). This year at our new house, we only have room for 3-4x4 squares. I have been carefully / thoughtfully filling each square with only my favorites, but all 48 square feet are spoken for and I still have stuff I want to plant!

I might have to try spinach or radishes or another fast/compact plant in the same squares with my peppers. (or maybe with my tomatoes?) I might also have to give up my 3 squares of fun gourds (Apple Gourds, Dipper Gourds and Tennessee Spinner Gourds) to plant more beans... somehow food feels more valuable and important to help the family since space is at a premium this year. I have never grown those gourds before, but thought they would be awesome on the trellis I will be putting up in a couple of weeks.

Maybe I should just stop pouting and deal~~

JennAndCompany

Female Posts : 56

View user profile http://www.jennandcompany.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes on 5/7/2012, 11:06 pm

@JennAndCompany wrote:LOL - I just asked my husband if we should build another square... he rolled his eyes and walked out of the room. We have the wood and I might have the room (on the other side of the house). Last year we had 10-4x4 squares (which was way too many squares for me). This year at our new house, we only have room for 3-4x4 squares. I have been carefully / thoughtfully filling each square with only my favorites, but all 48 square feet are spoken for and I still have stuff I want to plant!

I might have to try spinach or radishes or another fast/compact plant in the same squares with my peppers. (or maybe with my tomatoes?) I might also have to give up my 3 squares of fun gourds (Apple Gourds, Dipper Gourds and Tennessee Spinner Gourds) to plant more beans... somehow food feels more valuable and important to help the family since space is at a premium this year. I have never grown those gourds before, but thought they would be awesome on the trellis I will be putting up in a couple of weeks.

Maybe I should just stop pouting and deal~~

Hey....if you have the wood and the room, I say go for it.

Too Tall Tomatoes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 5/7/2012, 11:09 pm

When the hubby Rolling Eyes rolls his eyes at me when I come up with something to build I just tell him I'll do it myself.... Then he does it for me because he doesn't like me using the saw, muuuuahahahaaaa. Then presto, it's built

cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/7/2012, 11:47 pm

JennAndCompany, I found squash (and gourds) will do well climbing a fence. If your property is fenced, and you have a couple of large flower pots you can put next to the fence, you have a way to plant your gourds and have the boxes for food production. Just a thought.

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JennAndCompany on 5/7/2012, 11:56 pm

We originally built the all the squares together (my way) - he was kind enough to take them apart for the move last fall - the wood is in the basement. So Cheyannarach and Too Tall Tomatoes, I think your points are well made. Maybe I can squeeze one more 4x4 square in this season! Thanks for the positive thoughts... I will just ask him to get more compost on his way home and let him figure it out - hee hee

Putting a square back together will be a breeze!

Today I made a 2'x1' top hat for my potatoes (I thought 12" deep squares would be enough for them - hahaha). I decided today that they needed more height (since the plants were already 4-5 inches above the 12" height). Rather than mounding and messing with the squares around them, I used an old hand saw and cut up a couple of 1x6 boards to make a 2'x1' top hat! That made me proud!

Nonna - I DO have a fence (faces East) that isn't doing anything... I was wondering if gourds would climb a fence or needed a trellis - THANK YOU! I have some big pots too, maybe that would work for the gourds. Or I could take my spare boards and make a 2'x4' box, put that next to the fence, and plant the gourds in that. I would gain the 3 squares in the other boxes AND 4 squares in the smaller box with the gourds. Oooh - you guys are brilliant! I love it!

JennAndCompany

Back to top Go down

Post  JennAndCompany on 5/8/2012, 12:06 am

@Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:Since I was late getting my garden box started, I had to rely on plants instead of seeds for some of my crops. I really want to have spinach but so far I haven't been able to find spinach plants. I'm going to two garden centers tomorrow so hopefully they'll have them. If they don't, then possibly I can get them at a flower and plant sale in NJ on Saturday. If I can't get them there, what else could I grow? The original plan was to grow spinach in 6 of the same squares that I have bell peppers in, so I would need something quick-growing and compact if I can't get spinach.

Any suggestions?
Have you ever tried Turnips? It might be a little warm in your area now, but if you can still grow radishes, you can grow turnips. They only take 50 days to maturity. My package says you could use the young greens, so if you want to do that, it would only take a couple weeks to get those. Very Happy

JennAndCompany

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:11 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum