Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Today at 5:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Today at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Today at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Today at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Today at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Today at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Today at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Today at 3:34 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 3:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 3:28 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Today at 12:01 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by walshevak Today at 11:44 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by No_Such_Reality Today at 9:57 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:16 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Today at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 11:34 am

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:12 am

» First time growing corn
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:07 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  cheyannarach on 6/26/2012, 12:02 am

Wow efirvin, sounds like our gardens have lots in common. Thanks for the update! I have one square of beets almost done that I am going to try a hand a pickling/canning and am excited about that!
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js on 6/26/2012, 12:17 am

Today, I checked my garden this morning and ran back inside. It was already 85 degrees at 6:30 a.m. I will be out early in the morning to make sure everything gets a nice cool drink. I have been spending my day cruzing the forum. Man this is addicting. I don't know which I will get into more trouble over - my actual time in the garden or the time spent researching about my garden. Anyway, I am having a blast and loving every minute of it.
Momof5Js

Female Posts : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 6/26/2012, 7:31 am

cheyannarach wrote:I am on bug patrol today, found several different sets of eggs. Wondering how many leaves I can turn over today, lol. Any of these look familiar to you?

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t13027-eggs-on-pepper-leaves#129287

I also took some pics of my first peas, zukes, first tiny tim tomatoes, and flowering canteloupes!

Bug patrol...I'm fighting bugs like mad Evil or Very Mad I'm having a really tough time with bugs this year for some reason. I don't know if it's the really hot and dry conditions we've had or what, but it's maddening!

I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 6/26/2012, 8:30 am

That stinks Rooster, I am guessing the fires/drought are playing a huge roll in that. There moving in because they think you're gonna take care of them, feed, them. and water them . My parents were down in Castlerock this weekend and said the smoke is still terrible. Hope it gets better for you really soon!
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin on 6/26/2012, 3:13 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Wow efirvin, sounds like our gardens have lots in common. Thanks for the update! I have one square of beets almost done that I am going to try a hand a pickling/canning and am excited about that!

Thats good to hear Cheyannarach! My beets are looking pretty good too. I guess I should check and see how big my beets are. Last year I made a great pickled beet relish and even my hubby likes it.

Are you going to replant that square with beets or do you have other plans for it?

To me thats the hard part, trying to figure out what to replant each square with once I have harvested the veggies out of it. Several of my squares are planted with all season growers but the spinach, beets, radishes and turnips squares will be available for replanting. I know I will replant carrots somewhere because I planted some in the same 4x4 as my potatoes and they are in constant peril of being overshadowed by those wild potatoes!

Happy gardening and I hope you are able to stay out of the smoke!

Evelyn
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 6/26/2012, 5:44 pm

So far so good as far as fires go! Do you have any good pickled beet recipes you would like to share with a first time canner? As far as replanting radishes, carrots, beets, turnips, kohlrabi, etc. I will probably get some cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli stared indoors to replace most of them with and for the rest I am thinking swiss chard, lettuce, and spinach! If I can get my hands on any swiss chard that is!
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin on 6/27/2012, 8:30 pm

Cheyanne, I will look for a pickled beet recipe and get back to you. A friend of mine pickled her's last year so I may ask her for that recipe.

I did break down and buy some flowers to put in the garden today. Got a little out of control at Home Depot!! Good thing the hubby wasn't with me! I will put some in the empty squares just to pretty up the garden and attract some bees to my squashes and cukes. And got a few marigolds to tell some bugs to get lost!

I looked around Home Depot for any leftover seed packets but there were none around. Good thing I have some left from my original plantings.

We have more smoke here in Casper now because of a big fire 20 miles to our east. The wind changed directions last night and now it is pretty thick around here. Praying the wind will change back to blowing toward the east so our sky clears up. I want to get some of those flowers planted tonight.

Evelyn
efirvin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 6/27/2012, 9:14 pm

Good luck with the wind these fires are terrible!

I love when I get away with that kinda stuff when hubby isn't around Wink , hope you get to plant some tonight! I was out today for daily inspection and I have my first two baby spaghetti squash now! They are so cute and tiny.
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin on 6/27/2012, 11:53 pm

Well didn't get the flowers planted but did clear out the radish, spinach and turnip beds and 1 sf of broccoli. Hope to plant flowers in the AM and then figure out what I want to plant for a 2nd crop.

Evelyn

Oh, BTW, still no potato flowers yet!
efirvin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 6/28/2012, 1:22 am

I don't have any potato flowers yet either! I'll let you know as soon as I do though! Sounds like you are going to be having a few feasts on tonights harvest! Good for you! I am still waiting for broccoli and cauliflower, they are getting really big so any day now! Hubby laughs at me because I check on things everyday he says "how much can they really change in a day?" He should start checking because a lot can change in a day!
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 6/30/2012, 10:03 am

My spinach has started to bolt so I picked those few plants last night and had a nice salad with dinner! Also got to throw in a few of my first sugar snap peas yum! I really need to think of a plan as these leafy squares start to clear out! I was going to do more bush beans but I forgot them out on the patio table last time I planted and it rained all over them. My little girl went out the next say and found them scattered out on the table and stuck them in various places so I now have bean sprouts popping up all over them place!
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 6/30/2012, 10:27 am

Cheyann, it's been so hot here that I think I'm finally done with spinach for now...and probably lettuce too. They have both been doing great, but I think the heat is finally just too much. I've been putting in some purple bush beans here and there and actually starting more carrots for the fall. I'm thinking I might go to the garden center today and see what they've got for decent pepper plants Razz and maybe another eggplant...and some marigolds Razz
I also went to a different garden center in downtown Loveland here and bought some French Breakfast radish seed that they sell in bulk form. I've finally been getting some really delicious radish this year. They are excellent!

I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 6/30/2012, 2:09 pm

I think I am just going to get a bunch of brassica stared indoors and replace empty squares with those as needed! I am jealous though, you going to the nursery, I cut myself off after my last bender Rolling Eyes haha.
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin on 7/1/2012, 3:13 pm

My spinach is done too. Cleared it out Friday evening. Will plant more for fall.

I am disappointed with my turnips though. Got lots of greens and very few and small turnips. Wondering what happened. They weren't crowded so I just don't know. My radishes were the same way, lots of leaves but very little radish. My friend planted her radishes less than a month ago and she brought the nice big and tasty radishes to a pot luck dinner party last night. And we had shared seeds from the same pkg!

Got most of the flowers in, still got a few marigolds to place.

My peas are loaded with little pea pods! Can't wait to eat them! My mixed lettuces are still producing nicely. Tomato plants getting loaded with blooms and fruit.

Thinking I will replant 1 square of turnips and 1 of radishes. I just gotta try and get some to produce!

Hope all is well in our areas as we deal with the horrible fires and smoke.

Evelyn

I am also planting more carrots for a fall crop.
efirvin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/2/2012, 3:17 am

An update on planting corn in succession. I have learned that I should not get too anxious to plant Summer crops like corn too early. I planted four squares in the Northwest corner of one of my boxes. I then planted the rest five weeks later. They are all about the same size and the ones planted earlier are still shorter than they should be and are getting tassels. I did see a corn growing on one though. We will see what size it gets to! I am figuring corn seeds have a certain amount of days to grow big, put out tassels and grow corn. If the seeds sit in the cold soil, that is wasted time that it cannot make up for. So I will try to be more patient next year. They are sure pretty plants though, the bugs haven't found them yet!

I planted peas too late because of the cats. I had it planned exactly where I would plant them and got them in later than I should have but my grand kids and I got a handful of pods that we broke open and ate a few days ago. We loved them but it is probably too hot now to get any good ones now. I have to plant tons more next year! Need to find out how to plant them and have access to them from the outside of the box.

We had some lettuce and spinach salads that were very good. Not enough of them though. Have to plant those earlier!

I planted 24 broccoli plants and I am still getting small side shoots! I did not lose one plant and I had mostly good size main heads and lots of side shoots. I was very pleased with them! I cooked five minute out of the garden broccoli one night and it was the darkest green and the flavor was amazing! Family loved it! Earwigs have just recently found the plants but I am almost done with it anyway, so there!

I planted red potatoes and russets. The reds came up quicker and may be because the back half where the russets were had some shading by my neighbors willow tree. They grew amazing and then something starting eating the leaves. I did all the usual checking and then finally went out at almost dusk and saw lots of earwigs! I set out traps, wrapped and wet newspapers, etc. They did a big number on my leaves. Then something else is happening, maybe some sort of wilt or something. Just so depressing. I took pictures but will have to post tomorrow. Hopefully something is still underground!

I have honestly killed about 1,000 earwigs in traps, who knows how many in the wet newspapers and still have lots more earwigs. I have been watching my grand kids almost every day and they get here about 8 so I don't get the time to spend out in my garden like I should. I don't have them tomorrow so I am going to try to get out and pull all the straw out of my beds, kill as may earwigs as I can get a hand shovel over, get more oil traps and newspaper traps set out and go for round 20!

I have harvested three baby zucchini over a week ago (I couldn't wait), a big one about a week ago, broke off some baby ones that had been chewed on and have several more big ones growing!

My cantaloupe is growing up a trellis partially and has blossoms. I have to secure it better than just wrapping it around and expecting it to hold on by itself, lol. Cucumbers are just a little behind the cantaloupe! Tomatoes are still small plants, as Rooster said awhile back, they were bigger before I planted them! I have Black Krim, and I can't remember the others. I will post more tomorrow, or later today since its is after one in the morning, oops.

Beans got munched but seem like they may make it and some have some blossoms!

My hopes of orange cauliflower and purple cauliflower are probably dashed! The earwigs! Onions were doing well but one grand kid stepped on some and the garden hose ran over them when I was watering. Don't know what will happen there.

I planted a second batch of corn, waited and waited for my son to make me a bed and just had to lay down the weed cover and put the MM in and plant the corn. So instead of 4 x 6 it is 3 x 6. But they are growing good!

I have lots of squares open but I am nervous of planting anything new because of the earwigs. I dug into the ground inside the box, next to the frame in my zucchini bed with a kids rake and found a nest of earwigs. The rake has a lot of surface area and I just started wacking them, hitting the ones escaping over the sides, raking the others trying to get away and killing them, and I killed a small one with my knuckle into the dirt and wacked an adult with the palm of my hand into the dirt. Boy was I angry. I couldn't believe I killed them with my hand but I couldn't do it against a hard surface, eww! I have gotten so much braver, but these things are just so gross and there are so many of them!

I better get some sleep so I can get outside before it gets too hot tomorrow!
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/2/2012, 7:52 pm

Wow Triciasgarden! Sounds like you have gone crazy with those darn earwigs, I completely understand because that's what I do with moths on the porch at night when we have the lights on, lol, hubby thinks I look like a maniac!

I went camping for the last two days and come home to what??? Flowering potatoes cheers !!!!!!!!!!! My spaghetti squash and zukes have all tripled in size, 9 ripe cherry tomatoes, lots of new sugar snap peas, and more bolting spinach, but the lettuce is still looking good.Cool Sorry about the taters Tricia No I am not sure what's wrong but hopefully there is lots of buisness going on underneath!
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin on 7/4/2012, 1:18 pm

Cheyann, what a nice surprise to come home too! Sadly, my potatoes are still hiding their flowers from me but I expect to see them soon.

Everything else is looking good. I'll be harvesting some peas very soon now. Can't wait to try their tasty goodness. Other than the awful heat and smoky air my garden is doing well. Thank goodness for that drip system!
efirvin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/4/2012, 1:42 pm

It was a nice suprise! The sugar snap peas were delicious, I have tons on tomatoes everywhere, I have never had this many tomatoes before!
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin on 7/4/2012, 3:51 pm

I think the one thing that amazes me is how well the plants grow in so little "soil". Everything looks healthy and I only added in more mixed compost to squares I have harvested. And when I try to explain what MM is to "nonbelievers" they don't see how I could grow anything. And then they see my garden! I think I may just convert several neighbors and friends to the green side!Laughing
efirvin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 7/4/2012, 4:26 pm

efirvin wrote:...when I try to explain what MM is to "nonbelievers" they don't see how I could grow anything. And then they see my garden! I think I may just convert several neighbors and friends to the green side!Laughing

You're getting better results than I do. I've had people standing right beside my 6 inch tabletops full of veggies, and they tell me it can't be done! yahoo
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/4/2012, 4:54 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Wow Triciasgarden! Sounds like you have gone crazy with those darn earwigs, I completely understand because that's what I do with moths on the porch at night when we have the lights on, lol, hubby thinks I look like a maniac!

I can totally imagine you going after the moths!

I went camping for the last two days and come home to what??? Flowering potatoes cheers !!!!!!!!!!! My spaghetti squash and zukes have all tripled in size, 9 ripe cherry tomatoes, lots of new sugar snap peas, and more bolting spinach, but the lettuce is still looking good.Cool Sorry about the taters Tricia No I am not sure what's wrong but hopefully there is lots of buisness going on underneath!

Oh how wonderful to come home to tomatoes, peas and lettuce and flowers on the potatoes! I am going to dig up an area and see what the potatoes have done.
Triciasgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/4/2012, 5:03 pm

boffer wrote:
efirvin wrote:...when I try to explain what MM is to "nonbelievers" they don't see how I could grow anything. And then they see my garden! I think I may just convert several neighbors and friends to the green side!Laughing

You're getting better results than I do. I've had people standing right beside my 6 inch tabletops full of veggies, and they tell me it can't be done!

Rolling Eyes Duh!
Triciasgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 7/4/2012, 11:40 pm

Sorry about the earwigs..... ugh

I too have peas starting. Tonight we are having peas and oyster mushrooms lightly braised with chopped garlic scapes. The squash has loved this hot spell and has quadrupled in size. The cukes are happy too at last, and one type of melon. I still am picking lettuce and spinach greens though they are starting to flower. We like the flowering plants too, braised like wilted lettuce.

No sign of flowers yet on the potats. I decided to just hill htem the one time because they are Yukon Golds. There was a lot of slugs hiding down there lurking to go eat my peas or something tonight.

I sprinkled some camomile seeds under the pole beans. They are starting to flower now. I guess i just pick the flowers and dry them for tea. I wonder if I can use the leaves for the tea as well. The Calif poppies are blooming now too.

It is a satisfying time in the garden. Each night I go see what the garden has for us to eat that night. The only thing I have put up was cilantro. I froze it to add to salsa later.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan

Female Posts : 2302

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/5/2012, 1:26 am

Turan, is that because it flowered (cilantro). My cilantro, dill, and basil are flowering now what would you do with them? I wanted to use the basil for drying to use through the winter, dill for pickles, and cilantro for salsa. Any poiters? This is the first year I have gotten into herbs so I have a lot to learn about them.
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 7/5/2012, 7:41 am

Cilantro does not keep its flaver well when dried. It is better to freeze it for later use.

GG
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum