Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Today at 3:42 am

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Today at 3:32 am

» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Howdy, from Central Florida
by sanderson Today at 3:29 am

» Today's Harvest
by sanderson Today at 3:27 am

» Worm bin?
by sanderson Today at 3:24 am

» Biochar?
by No_Such_Reality Today at 12:30 am

» Compost pit?
by No_Such_Reality Today at 12:05 am

» Coffee Substitute?
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in October 2017
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 7:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:20 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by brianj555 Yesterday at 11:20 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:55 am

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Spaghetti Squash ?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 10/21/2017, 5:34 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/21/2017, 5:16 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 4:10 pm

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:04 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:00 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid 10/21/2017, 7:27 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 12:08 am

» Mels book
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 11:54 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB 10/20/2017, 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM 10/20/2017, 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  Momof5Js on 7/5/2012, 10:00 am

The past week I have spent trying to "save" our garden. We are still up over 100 degrees everyday with no rain. I made some modifications to the garden. I hope to post pics later. I put a bamboo screen up on the south side of the fence. That wind was like a convection oven Sad We then built shade covers over each row of boxes. I have 4'x16' "rows." I am getting veggies from those plants that bloomed before the massive heat wave, but all new blooming has stopped. I do believe things will get better.

Thanks again for all the encouraging posts.
Momof5Js

Female Posts : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 7/5/2012, 10:42 am

Looks like we may finally get some relief from the heat and hopefully some moisture!

I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 7/5/2012, 11:49 am

RoOsTeR wrote:Looks like we may finally get some relief from the heat and hopefully some moisture!

I hope you get rain.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan

Female Posts : 2309

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 7/5/2012, 12:01 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Turan, is that because it flowered (cilantro). My cilantro, dill, and basil are flowering now what would you do with them? I wanted to use the basil for drying to use through the winter, dill for pickles, and cilantro for salsa. Any poiters? This is the first year I have gotten into herbs so I have a lot to learn about them.

My cilantro was elongating toward flowering and we were not eating it fast enough. I just picked the leaves off and some tops it is not finished yet though. We like the flowers in currys and salsa and salads too. As GG says, it loses its taste when dried, so freeze it for later use. I have 4 sqs dedicated to it, this was the first square the 2nd is coming along and I better seed the third and fourth now and soon. I saw a flower on the peppers and a balloon on the tomatillos, so the rest of the ingredients are getting there.

My dill is also getting ready to flower. For dill pickles you use the flowers with seed and stalks. You can just pick them and see if they send up more shoots. I dunno. I usually use the fine leaves for potats.

Pinch off the blooms on the basil. It will keep growing. Keep pinching off leaves and growth tips so it keeps getting bushy. The flowers are good in spaghetti sauce as are the leaves. I preserve the leaves by freezing usually as a basic pesto (garlic, basil and olive oil). They lose too much flavor when dried.

I hope that helps.

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 7/5/2012, 12:30 pm

Basil - Easy! Take the basil, wash, chop up the fresh leaves. Spread it in ice cube trays, add water, store frozen cubes in a freezer bag. Perfect to add in soups, etc., or even chop off bits if I needed a smaller amount. Wonderful to have that fresh flavor all winter long.
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 7/5/2012, 1:45 pm

llama momma, I used to do that (but with pesto). I switched to spreading out the chopped herbs on a cookie sheet (usually on plastic too but not neccessary). When it is frozen you can put it in a bag and then take out how ever big a pinch or chunk you need. I just find it easier than the cubes. I think the cubes will store longer though because there is less air.

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 7/5/2012, 2:17 pm

Ah, I see Turan. 2011 was my first year growing and storing basil and thought the ice cube method was clever. I'm open to trying your way this year too. Yours would definitely take up less freezer space!
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin on 7/5/2012, 4:08 pm

boffer wrote:
efirvin wrote:...when I try to explain what MM is to "nonbelievers" they don't see how I could grow anything. And then they see my garden! I think I may just convert several neighbors and friends to the green side!Laughing

You're getting better results than I do. I've had people standing right beside my 6 inch tabletops full of veggies, and they tell me it can't be done!

Lol! That is some hard core denial! You may change their mind if you tell them they can't have any veggies from your "can't be done" garden. Silly people, its right in front of their face!
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/5/2012, 10:15 pm

Momof5Js wrote:The past week I have spent trying to "save" our garden. We are still up over 100 degrees everyday with no rain. I made some modifications to the garden. I hope to post pics later. I put a bamboo screen up on the south side of the fence. That wind was like a convection oven Sad We then built shade covers over each row of boxes. I have 4'x16' "rows." I am getting veggies from those plants that bloomed before the massive heat wave, but all new blooming has stopped. I do believe things will get better.

Thanks again for all the encouraging posts.

Oh momof5Js I am so sorry for the heat and wind for you, your family and garden! You have been working like the dickens to protect your garden, I'm so impressed! that is good some things are growing. I am thinking that when it cools down a bit for you that you will start getting blossoms again! I hope some of our rain can get over to you! Good luck!
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/5/2012, 10:18 pm

Turan wrote:
RoOsTeR wrote:Looks like we may finally get some relief from the heat and hopefully some moisture!

RoOster oh I hope you do! We had hours of rain earlier today and a half hour ago it started again! Now I am feeling guilty for getting a second batch and am hoping it goes to others in need also!

I hope you get rain.

Turan, beautiful post!
Triciasgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz on 7/5/2012, 11:26 pm

Today I transplanted my third squash on top of a finished compost pile, trying to save space in the garden. This time I jabbed a piece of bamboo into the compost and tied the plant to the bamboo. Hopefully this one won't get blown away My squash will probably be a little late this year.
Boz

Male Posts : 109

View user profile http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/5/2012, 11:42 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:
Turan wrote:

RoOster oh I hope you do! We had hours of rain earlier today and a half hour ago it started again! Now I am feeling guilty for getting a second batch and am hoping it goes to others in need also!

I hope you get rain.

Turan, beautiful post!

+1

Thanks for the pointers on the herbs too Turan & llamamama!
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 7/6/2012, 2:30 pm

I looked in my 'cucurbit hoop house' this morning and saw flowers! Only female flowers on the summer squash and only male flowers on the muskmelon... Rolling Eyes

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 7/6/2012, 10:56 pm

I enjoyed getting out in the garden today after almost a 1/2" of rain last night! It was so refreshing and perky It's amazing what a little rain will do for your garden.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/7/2012, 12:58 am

Hooray!!!!! Rooster that's awesome! The rain we got last night also rained out the Edgemont fire!
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/9/2012, 9:05 pm

Here are some updated pics of some stuff in my garden!

This is the zuchinni I bought to plant in a bucket just for GWN! It is doing great and I am about to have m y first one!!!

This is my first female butternut squash! I am not sure how well it will do because it appears to be all female and no male flowers...

This is my 3 sisters, spaghetti squash, kentucky wonder pole beans, and burpees sweet corn. The corn is about hip high on me (I am only 5' 4" though, lol)

This is a rock garden hubby built me last summer. It is filled with cilantro (does it look like I can still use it?). genovese basil, lemon basil, petunias, and lemon balm.

My memory has failed me on what exact tomatoes these are but they are sauce tomatoes that have started setting fruit!

These are my poor sweet potatoes, they haven't done much since I planted them and It looks like the bugs have destroyed a bunch of them. I picked two little black catepillars off of them the other day and am still looking for more, any ideas?

Some turkeys in the back yard...

My first mantis, I think he eats everybody else that comes out...

Yukon golds and red pontiac potatoes on the left and some peppers with carrots right behind them. These pics are for plantoid Cool

This cauliflower is a beast, it is starting to shade out it's companions, not sure if it's going to fruit or if I should pull it?

I want to give thanks to Camprn for this idea with the broken teracotta pots because I m pretty sure that's where I got the idea from, if not thanks for everything else Camp! There is parsley, dill, chives, petunias...

River (my 3 year old daughter) picked these for me yesterday!
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 7/9/2012, 9:10 pm

Your sweet taters look like a lot of my beans. Chowed down to the nub! Evil or Very Mad I've had a rough time this year with pests. Bugs I've never seen around here before. Shocked Cheyanne, your gardens look great. The turkeys are awesome and the flowers are very nice! Thanks for sharing

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 7/10/2012, 1:37 pm

I love the update photos of our gardens Very Happy
A little jealous of the zucchini, our is only doing female blooms. While we wait for the males to show up I pick the females and give them to my DH who loves the flowers lightly battered.

Tonight I will upload a pic of my oldest cilantro planting, it looks like yours. I stripped off the leaves already once and froze them for later salsa making. You can use those leaves and flower buds in salads and even in currys/ stir fryes etc. Taste them and decide Wink It usually does not help to cut them back, once they make the change from cilantro to coriander it is done. But coriander leaves are good too, you do not have to wait for the seeds to grind. If you let it set seed it will self seed, which I like.

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/10/2012, 2:20 pm

Your zuke sounds like my butternut squash! I have never eaten a squash blossom but I hear they are delicious! I will try the freezing the cilantro! Sounds like something to do this afternoon after work! Thanks!
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin on 7/10/2012, 6:55 pm

Great garden pixs Cheyann!
I tried to grow sweet potatoes last year but I never got anything more than orange colored roots! A local Master Gardener told me she didn't know of anyone who successfully grew sweet potatoes in the Casper area. So, I guess I will just continue to buy those!

We got rain yesterday! Almost 2 tenths of an inch. If there hadn't been thunder rolling around too I would have danced in the rain!

Eating peas now, beans growing well but none to pick yet. Squashes and cukes vining nicely with zukes flowering and a few baby zukes seen. Tomatoes flowering and making tomatoes. Still getting some leaf lettuces and swiss chard.

Evelyn

efirvin

Female Posts : 146

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/10/2012, 8:29 pm

We had hours of rain earlier today and a half hour ago it started again! Now I am feeling guilty for getting a second batch and am hoping it goes to others in need also!

That is exactly what we had last week, hours of rain and then toward the evening it started again. I felt exactly like you did!
Triciasgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/10/2012, 8:30 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:I enjoyed getting out in the garden today after almost a 1/2" of rain last night! It was so refreshing and perky It's amazing what a little rain will do for your garden.

I agree for our gardens and our spirits!
Triciasgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/10/2012, 8:35 pm

efirvin wrote:Great garden pixs Cheyann!
I tried to grow sweet potatoes last year but I never got anything more than orange colored roots! A local Master Gardener told me she didn't know of anyone who successfully grew sweet potatoes in the Casper area. So, I guess I will just continue to buy those!

We got rain yesterday! Almost 2 tenths of an inch. If there hadn't been thunder rolling around too I would have danced in the rain!

Eating peas now, beans growing well but none to pick yet. Squashes and cukes vining nicely with zukes flowering and a few baby zukes seen. Tomatoes flowering and making tomatoes. Still getting some leaf lettuces and swiss chard.

Evelyn

So glad you got rain! Your garden sound like it is doing nicely!
Triciasgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/10/2012, 8:38 pm

Cheyanne your garden looks wonderful and even though you have some chewed leaves, your sweet taters will probably just do fine! Thankfully you found a culprit and now know what to look for! Thank you for sharing! I have been wanting to post pics I have taken but I am having a problem with my computer.
Triciasgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/10/2012, 9:05 pm

Thanks Tricia! I sure hope I get a few so my father in law doesn't get to tease me! I had my little boy out there picking them for me today! He'll just pick them up and I have to wear gloves, thank heavens for little boys!

Boy I could sure use some rain, our well is running pretty slow right now. You know it's bad when you have to pick from showers or watering the garden, lol.

He thinks he's pretty tough because I won't touch them, affraid
cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum