Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Biochar?
by SQWIB Today at 8:18 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Today at 8:09 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Today at 3:42 am

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Today at 3:32 am

» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Howdy, from Central Florida
by sanderson Today at 3:29 am

» Today's Harvest
by sanderson Today at 3:27 am

» Worm bin?
by sanderson Today at 3:24 am

» Compost pit?
by No_Such_Reality Today at 12:05 am

» Coffee Substitute?
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in October 2017
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 7:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:20 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by brianj555 Yesterday at 11:20 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:55 am

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Spaghetti Squash ?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 10/21/2017, 5:34 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/21/2017, 5:16 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 4:10 pm

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:04 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:00 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid 10/21/2017, 7:27 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 12:08 am

» Mels book
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 11:54 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 11:34 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM 10/20/2017, 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Best thing I ever did for my SFG

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Best thing I ever did for my SFG

Post  elliephant on 5/10/2012, 12:15 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

Thought I would add a video of my setup. It's made a world of difference, but I will be tinkering with it as the season goes along, I'm sure.

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 5/10/2012, 1:02 pm

I am loving the videos Very Happy Just what I need to see on a snowy morning. flower
Turan

Female Posts : 2309

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER on 5/10/2012, 2:21 pm

jeffhbell wrote:
trukrebew wrote:
The last question I have (for now Very Happy ) may be the deal maker for which system to use: Can I use a rain barrel or is there not enough pressure? My barrel will only be about 6" above the top of the boxes, but I could safely raise it up at least 12" higher.

I've read on Uni of Fla agricultural web site that you get 1# of pressure for every 12" height. I am guessing that for mini sprayers, you would need between 8-15# of pressure. For spot drips though I would think 1-2# would be OK.

Interesting thought.

I thought you needed just over 2 feet to create 1 lb of pressure?

1 cubic foot of water weighs 62 lbs. 62 / 144 sq. inches = .43. So 1 foot = .43 pounds per square inch.

1 psi / .43 = 2.3 (need 2.3 feet to create 1 lb of pressure).

Also keep in mind that the friction of the hose will cause the water pressure to drop (twists, turns, elbows, etc. will also contribute to pressure loss).

TN_GARDENER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffhbell on 5/10/2012, 3:16 pm

TN_GARDENER wrote:
jeffhbell wrote:
trukrebew wrote:
The last question I have (for now Very Happy ) may be the deal maker for which system to use: Can I use a rain barrel or is there not enough pressure? My barrel will only be about 6" above the top of the boxes, but I could safely raise it up at least 12" higher.

I've read on Uni of Fla agricultural web site that you get 1# of pressure for every 12" height. I am guessing that for mini sprayers, you would need between 8-15# of pressure. For spot drips though I would think 1-2# would be OK.

Interesting thought.

I thought you needed just over 2 feet to create 1 lb of pressure?

1 cubic foot of water weighs 62 lbs. 62 / 144 sq. inches = .43. So 1 foot = .43 pounds per square inch.

1 psi / .43 = 2.3 (need 2.3 feet to create 1 lb of pressure).

Also keep in mind that the friction of the hose will cause the water pressure to drop (twists, turns, elbows, etc. will also contribute to pressure loss).

Good catch. My memory is faulty sometimes.

From

solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/search.html?cx=002853179957713987929%3Akum53emwow4&cof=FORID%3A11&q=rain+barrel&sa=Search&siteurl=solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu%2F&ref=squarefoot.creatingforum.com%2Ft11963-state-cooperative-extension-service-links
Irrigation

A popular option is using the water to irrigate lawns and gardens.
You can install a pump or use gravity to feed hoses. Another option is
to just hand water. Make sure you set up your tanks for easy access to
spigots, outlets, or lids.

For gravity-fed irrigation: every 2 ½ feet of elevation of the water
source above the water outlet (e.g. the elevation of the tank versus
the elevation of the garden) will create one pound of pressure. Keep in
mind that friction in the pipe or hose will reduce water pressure.

Contact your plumbing or building department before connecting a
pump, plumbing, or irrigation lines to see if you will need backflow
protection for your potable water line. Do not connect your rain barrel
or cistern to your in-home plumbing due to the risk of contaminating
potable water.
jeffhbell

Male Posts : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry on 5/10/2012, 8:02 pm

elliephant wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Thought I would add a video of my setup. It's made a world of difference, but I will be tinkering with it as the season goes along, I'm sure.

Wow elliephant, looks great! That's the cool part of this type of system, you can add drippers here and there if your inline tubing isn't covering the whole area.

My grandparents lived in McAllen, so growing up, we were always heading down there from San Antonio.

Good luck with your garden...it looks super!
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  claudiamedic on 5/10/2012, 8:18 pm

*wishing I was in the TX hill country, too* Razz
claudiamedic

Female Posts : 121

View user profile http://www.claudiasfamily.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual on 5/11/2012, 8:10 am

trukrebew wrote:This sounds like just the thing for me for Father's Day! cheers
But before I forgo the usual gift of beer, can any of you tell me more about setting it up?

• How do you position the lines within your squares?
I run my lines along the grid(they could theoretically replace the grid, but I choose to keep a grid also).

• trukrebew wrote:Do you cut through the center of 1 square or double back?
I have a main line running at the back of the bed, with 1 smaller line running from the back to the front. If I were installing this in a 4x4 bed it would look like an elongated "E" with the up and down line being the main line.

• trukrebew wrote:How does it work to cover all 9 or 16 plants in 1 square?
Drip irrigation soaks into the MM and spreads about 12" from the emitter. Depending on the emitter size and spacing, you can cover quite a bit of area with a single emitter(normal spacing is 1 emitter every 12", I'd stick with that and just adjust the timer as needed).

• trukrebew wrote:How do you get it across the aisle, from one box to another?

Run the main lines(1/2" diameter or larger pipe) along the back, inside of the beds and use 90 degree elbows to make it look good(it will kink if you try to bend it). That or make your beds longer than 4' so it's easier to install the drip irrigation(this is what I did).

As a side note, I'd get individual emitters that can be taken apart if they need to be cleaned instead of buying the drip line with emitters inside that line. I'm not sure on the price difference, but it will take longer to set up. You can't really fix or replace a bad emitter that's inside the line without cutting out sections and splicing it back together.

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 5/11/2012, 11:07 am

Unmutual wrote:
As a side note, I'd get individual emitters that can be taken apart if they need to be cleaned instead of buying the drip line with emitters inside that line. I'm not sure on the price difference, but it will take longer to set up. You can't really fix or replace a bad emitter that's inside the line without cutting out sections and splicing it back together.

I see the wisdom in this. I already had to add in a small line with a separate emitter where one of the emitters in the line wasn't working.

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffhbell on 5/14/2012, 2:15 pm

TejasTerry wrote:I installed my own drip system. Bought "Mr. Landscaper" stuff from Lowes...really cheap to put in. I probably spent $60 or $70 for all the stuff, and I have 4 raised beds and 3 planters hooked up, and still have drippers, etc. for when I add more beds.

I did splurge on a timer, which was around $30, but that too is worth it. They have tons of videos on mrlandscaper.com showing you how to do it. It's really easy.

My husband was pretty impressed that I didn't ask for his help even once. It is soooo worth it, and my plants starting looking better within a week. We have already gotten into the 90 degree temps, and I have it set to water every day in the morning.

I saw a demo of this product at Lowes Saturday. Looks very simple and relatively inexpensive. Spoke with the vender demonstrator and found out the product is manufactured about 4 miles from my house.

Mister Landscaper
8400 Lake Trask Road
Dundee, FL 33838

misterlandscaper.com
jeffhbell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry on 5/14/2012, 2:24 pm

jeffhbell wrote:
TejasTerry wrote:.

I saw a demo of this product at Lowes Saturday. Looks very simple and relatively inexpensive. Spoke with the vender demonstrator and found out the product is manufactured about 4 miles from my house.

Mister Landscaper
8400 Lake Trask Road
Dundee, FL 33838

misterlandscaper.com

Cool ! Wish I had seen a demo before doing it. May have gotten some tips on layout...
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffhbell on 5/14/2012, 3:08 pm

TejasTerry wrote:
jeffhbell wrote:
TejasTerry wrote:.

Mister Landscaper
8400 Lake Trask Road
Dundee, FL 33838

misterlandscaper.com

Cool ! Wish I had seen a demo before doing it. May have gotten some tips on layout...

The jets covered about 4 to 15 inches (1 to 2 sq feet) of space depending on which nozzle. The 360 seemed to cover about 1 foot by 1 foot area. The drip nozzles covered much less. The web site did have a few videos.
jeffhbell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BillOcala on 5/14/2012, 3:18 pm

I have all this stuff in my garage and waited too long to install it. Now there is too much plant root material for the installation to be practical now. I just plain procrastinated too long!

I have this tall brass sprinkler with two counter rotating concentric circles for emitters in the center of the overall square formed by all the beds. I truly meant for the sprinkler to be temporary but, knock on wood, it really has been working fine

picture of one like it - not mine

after my corn gets done I hope to start getting the drip stuff installed. I love the mister landscaper/mister stuff. It has always worked for me.
BillOcala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli on 5/14/2012, 3:29 pm

This weekend we built two grids for the two 4x4 beds. We haven't finished building the line that will connect them, but we were able to test them out one at a time with a hose. We drilled 3, 3/32" holes in each section of pipe about 3" apart.

We originally built them with capped ends, like this: http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t11301-pvc-watering-grid, but after testing it out, I am concerned that water is not reaching the corners of the bed. Although water was draining out from the box freely, the corners were still bone-dry. To get around this I think we could add a single elbow and one more length of pipe to each corner so the corner squares will at least get watered on 3 sides.

We also found that water pressure is super-dependent on how level the grid is. Smile I think this will be a challenge (the grid lies on the dirt, and the holes for the water are on the top of the pipe.

We'll be running a 1/2" drip irrigation tube off the input so I can run 1/4" tubing to my various other pots and tubs. I'm very excited to be able to turn it all on in one spot!

Coelli

Female Posts : 300

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T on 5/24/2012, 10:28 am

My answer is simply build one. I am enjoying it so much. I am looking at doing an irrigation system but not until the fall. I will build another SFG at my camp for fall crops.
Don T

Male Posts : 88

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli on 5/24/2012, 12:31 pm

I should follow up - after some frustration with not being able to get even pressure with the PVC grid, we re-did it with less and smaller holes. This helped with the pressure but the corners of the box still remained dry and I could see there would be issues with tiny seeds (like carrots) in the centers of the squares.

So we scrapped the whole thing and put in soaker tubing instead. You don't get the nice grid effect, but it seems to be much better at evenly watering the entire bed without disturbing the soil.

We'll keep the PVC grids for the kids to play in on hot days. Smile

Coelli

Female Posts : 300

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Auto overhead sprinkler system

Post  Nymiko on 11/16/2012, 4:09 pm

Hi, I just start my SFG in Oct and I was initially planning on adding drip irrigation to my box but after reading SFG, Mel said to just deal with the auto overhead sprinkler system that I have. Is it possible to have both an over head Plus a drip irrigation?

On a side note, Could someone please be so kind as to advise me in Zone 10a how long should my sprinkler be on for and how many days a week? it's going every other day and both weekend days right now for 20 mins at about 6:15am. I direct sowed my bed so while i was waiting on sprouts I've been implementing some garden hose watering everyday. (mel said you can't over water.... Right? but i'm worried the rest of my garden is getting too much water. LOL I don't know how to test which zone valve is which so I have them all going on the same setting. thinking
Nymiko

Female Posts : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum