Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:26 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:18 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 5:18 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is this normal?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is this normal?

Post  jamieb29 on 5/11/2012, 12:07 pm

I finally got my box filled with the mix yesterday. I used all composted manure like I was supposed to and there is quite a smell to the whole thing. Will this smell go away after a while? I think the one composted manure that made it smell was the bag of Chickety Doo Doo.

This is my first square foot garden using the mix like it is spelled out in the book and just wondered about the smell. It is far enough away from my house that I can't smell it from the deck.

I also got a surprise when I opened my Oma Grow stuff...I had a few big fat earthworms come out of the bag, so I guess that means I have some worm castings mixed in, huh? LOL!!! Now all I have to do is put up the dividers and get to planting!

jamieb29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is this normal?

Post  camprn on 5/11/2012, 12:11 pm

Be assured the odor will simmer down in a few days. And CONGRATS! on getting your mix done! WOOT! cheers

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 on 5/11/2012, 12:19 pm

I figured it would get better in a few days. Mixing everything on the tarps really helps too! I am really hoping this mix helps me grow radishes this year....every other year I have had no luck with radishes. My daughter refuses to go near the thing until the smell goes away...she is 21 and didn't want to help me shovel poo around!

jamieb29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 5/11/2012, 12:53 pm

Yes - it's normal. Chickety-Doo-Doo smells really strong, especially to those of us not used to any kind of "barnyard" or "farm" smell. Smile

I used it as one of my five composts to add to my beds this year before planting and it smelled fairly strong for about the first week. Then it smelled a bit only when I watered it for a little while after that. Now it doesn't smell at all.

Now I am a total novice gardener. I'm on year 2 of my SFG and NEVER had any gardening experience before last year. But here is what is growing in it...

First peas

Broccoli

Tiny head forming - for size the clamp is a 2" clamp (Can you believe I didn't have a coin in my pocket?) Smile

Ok just read your post about the radishes and had to go take another pic... These are French Breakfast radishes and I've had better luck with them than other varieties I tried last year.

So...hang in there. Most of us from the city don't realize that the "farm smell" is what grows us the best goodies. Smile It'll disappear in a short while. Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 on 5/11/2012, 1:00 pm

I knew the Chickety Doo Doo had a strong odor to it since I work at a Menard's store in the garden center and earlier when we were stocking stuff I had a bag of the Doo Doo break and we had to tape it and I ended up getting it all over my shirt and jeans...I smelled awful for the rest of my shift! LOL!!!

I now have my veggie list done and I will try the breakfast radishes instead of the other ones and see how it goes.

My list includes radish, beans, sugar snap peas, onions, green peppers, hot peppers, tomato, khlorabi, and cauliflower. I may throw in some lettuce to depending on how many squares I have left. I really want to get out there and plant today, but I still need to get my dividers in, so I better not get too ahead of myself. I am going to use some small thin wooden dowels and tie them together so they form the squares.

jamieb29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 on 5/11/2012, 1:04 pm

jamieb29,
Add some phosphorous to your MM with something like bonemeal or wood ash. In the fall I had great radish tops but no bulb just wimpy little roots. I sprinkled a little bit of wood ash from my fireplace and the radish bulbs started growing.

H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 on 5/11/2012, 1:06 pm

would wood ash from my fire pit outside work? My son has been using it to burn the branches from our trees that have fallen down.

jamieb29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 on 5/11/2012, 1:15 pm

I think it would be fine to use that. I have heard you don't want to use ashes from charcoal briquets due to chemicals. Did your son douse the branches in diesel or something like that to burn them? If so some of the chemicals could still be present.

I used ashed from my fireplace and they worked fine. I too the conservative approach that I can always add more if needed as to not add too much because it can throw off the ph if you do.

H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 on 5/11/2012, 3:01 pm

I will ask him to make sure just in case he used a little bit of gas from the garage.

jamieb29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 5/11/2012, 3:25 pm

If the wood ash is OK also use it sprinkled on the area you're going to sow carrots as well for it is beneficial for them too. not only doe it help growth it also helps keep carrot fly at bay .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  acara on 5/11/2012, 5:27 pm

@jamieb29 wrote:I finally got my box filled with the mix yesterday. I used all composted manure like I was supposed to and there is quite a smell to the whole thing. Will this smell go away after a while? I think the one composted manure that made it smell was the bag of Chickety Doo Doo.

Crack open a bottle of fish emulsion fertilizer and you'll find the smell from your compost will disappear immediately Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

... no, don't do that ...LOL

acara

Male Posts : 1012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 5/11/2012, 5:37 pm

@acara wrote:
@jamieb29 wrote:I finally got my box filled with the mix yesterday. I used all composted manure like I was supposed to and there is quite a smell to the whole thing. Will this smell go away after a while? I think the one composted manure that made it smell was the bag of Chickety Doo Doo.

Crack open a bottle of fish emulsion fertilizer and you'll find the smell from your compost will disappear immediately Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

rofl rofl Oh my Gosh Acara...You crack me up! Smile Yup and I have both in my shed - Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 on 5/11/2012, 5:45 pm

I know what that kind of fish fertilizer smells like from working in a garden center....LOL!!!

jamieb29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  acara on 5/11/2012, 5:45 pm

@UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:
Oh my Gosh Acara...You crack me up! Smile Yup and I have both in my shed - Smile

We'll keep it there & don't get it on your clothes and then come inside and toss you clothes in the family hamper.

Unfortunately, I don't own a shed ..... and it was chilly on the couple of nights I had to sleep outside, while mama calmed down.

acara

Male Posts : 1012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/11/2012, 5:48 pm

@acara wrote:

Oh my Gosh Acara...You crack me up! Smile Yup and I have both in my shed - Smile
LOL, an effective, if not somewhat cruel lesson in olfactory sensibility. Glad to have you back Acara! Wink Like a Star @ heaven

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  zomo on 5/11/2012, 7:01 pm

@acara wrote:

We'll keep it there & don't get it on your clothes and then come inside and toss you clothes in the family hamper.

Unfortunately, I don't own a shed ..... and it was chilly on the couple of nights I had to sleep outside, while mama calmed down.
Does that come close to how you smell when you just washed a skunky kitteh ? cyclops

zomo

Female Posts : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 5/11/2012, 7:57 pm

@acara wrote:

[GAG] Childhood memories!!! Dad only used it one year that I remember from my childhood. That was about 40 years ago. I have never felt the need to stoop that low in my gardening ventures! I think I will go back to eating processed cheese spread before I pop open a bottle of that in my neighborhood!

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:21 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum