Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by countrynaturals Today at 5:09 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 5:05 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Today at 3:44 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by yolos Today at 3:19 pm

» New England Nov 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:15 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Today at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:20 am

» Today's Harvest
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

need your opinion on boxes full of weeds

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: need your opinion on boxes full of weeds

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/29/2012, 7:41 pm

Do save some for your family! It's a wonderfully smooth fleshed squash, and I swear there is a buttery taste to the "pumpkin" pies I made from it last year. So much better than either the Galeux d'Eysines (a very large warted peach-colored squash) or the Musquee de Provence (dark, dark green with classic Cinderella coach shape). The pies I made for Clan's Thanksgiving disappeared so fast, some folks didn't even have a chance to try them. BTW, did you know a pinch of finely ground black pepper gives the spice mix for pumpkin pie a great boost in flavor? Enjoy, and let us know what you think of the Aussie Butter.

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bump!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/30/2017, 7:19 pm

OK my new 3x7 that is full of tomatoes is also full of foxtail grass.  Due to incomplete/not hot compost and other things that are now fixed...

I am not doing this again...in looking back on this thread (smart people here!!!) I think I am gonna opt for the "thick layer of newspaper" on this bed, and leave it to plant last, like now, for maters and peppers....

Thoughts? 

Solarization sounds like it will kill all the good guys...my plants despite the competition from the stupid grass are doing well.  I just hate it.  I like it to look nice too! thanks
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5463

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 9/9/2017, 1:35 pm

Water first to soften the soil and then carefully pull the foxtail out by pulling it sideways so as to not disturb the tomato roots and stems much. If you leave them, they will go to seed. I like wetting the soil before pulling weeds because they tend to mostly glide out with usually all or most of the root intact. It saves time also.
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/10/2017, 2:24 am

I prefer the MM a little dry so the soil does stick to the roots as much. Pull one at a time and they should slip out. If you pull a hand full, a lot of MM will come with them. After the tomatoes are removed, or in the spring before your planting time. You can seal the box in clear plastic (over the wood sides) and solarize to the point you force remaining seeds to sprout. Pull those out before planting your garden and very few should sprout during the summer. You can use the newspaper trick when the plant/seedling are in. The only thing is that by covering the MM with newspapers, it will stay cool which isn't good in the early season. Great for hot summer, not so good for early plants. Find that sweet spot.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14946

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 9/10/2017, 3:29 pm

Do you know what you will plant there next year?
If you do like sanderson is suggesting, forcing seeds to sprout, that will use up the seeds. Each time the bed is green with sprouted seeds you turn it over so those sprouts die but act as green manure on the bed. If you use clear or even black plastic you can push the seeds to sprout earlier and get a head start on the process. It is not solarization, and the plastic does not need to be sealed, just basically a mini greenhouse to trick the seeds to sprout. Then when you do plant go ahead and cover with newspapers to keep any remaining seeds from sprouting over the summer.

I routinely do this at least once before planting carrots in the spring. This coming spring I am going to lay something over the bed to warm it faster so I get a wider variety of weeds sprouted before hand. I spent too much time this year weeding them.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan

Female Posts : 2312

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/10/2017, 3:47 pm

@sanderson wrote:You can seal (I should have used the word "cover") the box in clear plastic (over the wood sides) and solarize (Turan is correct that it is not really true solarization, it's more like creating a warm mini-greenhouse) to the point you force remaining (weed) seeds to sprout.

I covered some boxes with clear plastic my first winter and hundreds of tomatoes sprouted!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14946

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/10/2017, 8:15 pm

@Turan wrote:Do you know what you will plant there next year?  
If you do like sanderson is suggesting, forcing seeds to sprout, that will use up the seeds.  Each time the bed is green with sprouted seeds you turn it over so those sprouts die but act as green manure on the bed.  If you use clear or even black plastic you can push the seeds to sprout earlier and get a head start on the process.  It is not solarization, and the plastic does not need to be sealed, just basically a mini greenhouse to trick the seeds to sprout.  Then when you do plant go ahead and cover with newspapers to keep any remaining seeds from sprouting over the summer.

I routinely do this at least once before planting carrots in the spring.  This coming spring I am going to lay something over the bed to warm it faster so I get a wider variety of weeds sprouted before hand.  I spent too much time this year weeding them.
Sanderson and Turan; I like your ideas.  Plus, Tricia, I am going to clean it up as much as possible this fall by pulling. I just don't want to turn the bed and have the same thing happen again!  I like the idea of forcing the sprout and then turn....force, turn...and yes, Turan, it will be late plants like tomatoes and peppers.  So I would have time I think.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 9/10/2017, 10:07 pm

Here is an interesting side note.  This is burning the weed sprouts on commercial beds of carrots.  The carrots take a long time to sprout, as we all know, so they lightly burn the beds to kill the weeds approximately one week after seeding the carrots.  I have wanted to do this, but never been so bold.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan

Female Posts : 2312

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/11/2017, 8:24 pm

@Turan wrote:Here is an interesting side note.  This is burning the weed sprouts on commercial beds of carrots.  The carrots take a long time to sprout, as we all know, so they lightly burn the beds to kill the weeds approximately one week after seeding the carrots.  I have wanted to do this, but never been so bold.

I thought about burning....really did.... thinking
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: