Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What's eating my plants
by llama momma Today at 9:41 pm

» last chance to pre-order baker seeds-rare seed catalog
by has55 Today at 8:36 pm

» Straw Bales with Seeds?
by yolos Today at 8:36 pm

» Peas and cucumbers: Trellis position and plant spacing
by yolos Today at 8:32 pm

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:31 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by Kelejan Today at 7:51 pm

» California's Drought
by Kelejan Today at 7:37 pm

» Garlic
by recoush Today at 5:15 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 5:11 pm

» Mason bees
by recoush Today at 5:08 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by CapeCoddess Today at 4:51 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 1:51 pm

» Hello from central Massachusetts!
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:52 am

» Shallots, Prisma
by trolleydriver Today at 9:16 am

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by rajmahendra Today at 5:29 am

» Indian Solar Gardening Calendar
by sanderson Today at 3:50 am

» New England October, 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:56 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» Thin Crust Pizza
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 11:34 pm

» Our Newest Regional Hosts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/19/2016, 8:10 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 10/19/2016, 2:15 pm

» November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 10:27 am

» Winter Hobbies and Crafts
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:48 pm

» Cucumber plant visitor
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:31 pm

» Hello all
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:16 pm

» The Most Annoying Pest In The Yard
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 6:45 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson 10/18/2016, 4:32 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/18/2016, 11:17 am

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG in India
by rajmahendra 10/18/2016, 7:50 am

» mason bees-for 2015
by has55 10/18/2016, 6:20 am

Search SFG Forum

Chipmunk Problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chipmunk Problem

Post  carybcom on 5/26/2012, 12:26 pm

Over the past week or so I've noticed holes dug in my garden. Some were smaller holes while others exposed the roots of my tomatoes and onions. Well today I decided to stake out the garden and low and behold a chipmunk ran straight to the base of the tomato plant. My movement caused it to scurry away in a hurry but he knows I can't be there all the time.

To date I've sat out an owl statue to no avail. Any ideas on what I can do to keep this critter from ruining my garden? So far the only casualty has been an almost ripe roma tomato? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Male Posts : 31

View user profile http://www.caryb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Chipmunk Problem

Post  camprn on 5/26/2012, 1:16 pm

Half of my chipmunk problem left my yard this morning in the mouth of the neighbor's cat. Shocked

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Outlander is outstanding!

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Chipmunks R US

Post  hruten on 5/26/2012, 2:55 pm

Hiya, I believe I could probably set the record for chipmunks in our yard. I can spot at least 2 at any given time!!What a Face

That being said, I too have been fighting them digging up my crops all spring. I think I have found the solution though. MESH of any sort. I had some old orange bags on hand and cut them to fit around the plants as a ground cover... so far it has worked. With that in mind, using tulle would work too or up to a 2" square netting product. It seems with my guys, if they don't have room to comfortably dig, they move on.

BTW, I tried hot pepper flakes and powder.... it didn't phase them and the pepper seeds started sprouting!!!Shocked I was watering a couple of days ago and didn't pay attention to where the hose was. A few minutes later a very WET chipmunk paid me a visit. It was a wonderful reward for me!

Female Posts : 159

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol on 5/26/2012, 3:35 pm

Several here have recommended the Scarecrow motion activated sprinkler.

Watch the videos - it might be worth a try.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 on 5/26/2012, 9:01 pm

I have found these organic pest control devices to be quite effective on of all kinds of rodent pests in the garden (squirrels,chipmunks,voles, ect....)

I have quite a fair number of these devices roaming the apartment complex garden here and so far have not a single problem with squirrels and chipmunks.

Of course they also find MM to be the perfect medium for elimination of their waste material and can become something of a garden pest problem themselves...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  carybcom on 5/28/2012, 7:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try. They are driving me crazy.

Male Posts : 31

View user profile http://www.caryb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli on 5/28/2012, 9:12 pm

I don't have anything producing in my garden yet (it's the first year for us), but we live in a pretty dry climate with plenty of small wildlife. Something was eating my two basil plants (they share a pot) so I got bamboo trellis for the pot and covered it with tulle. Those two plants have come back so quickly I need to harvest them because they're running out of room in there! They've remained almost entirely pest-free thanks to the tulle.

We came home on Mother's Day and something had stripped my new baby habanero pepper. I stuck some pieces of PVC in the soil around it (it's also potted) and put bird mesh over it. It hasn't been touched since. I will probably get a tomato cage soon to mount the mesh to.

All 3 of my potted tomatoes have bird mesh around the cages that go well below the rims of the pots, since at the same time the habanero was eaten some of the tomato leaves were, too. The bird mesh has kept them untouched.

So far the zucchini hasn't been touched, or the strawberry plants (I haven't let them flower) though my culprit has turned out to be a squirrel and it does dig in those tubs. I've found corn in them - someone must have a feeder nearby.

Both of my 4x4 beds are completely enclosed, trellises and all, by bird mesh. I left a gap once and some of my baby radish tops and peas became casualties. I'm much more careful now and so far, so good.

In fact, I have seen that squirrel(s) 3 times today, eating the grass next to one of the beds. I think he's just thirsty. It's hot and dry, and it's only going to get worse.

Anyway, I expect that before long I'll need to protect the zucchini, strawberry, and the pumpkin that just joined them outside. This is going to be an interesting summer...

Female Posts : 300

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe on 5/28/2012, 9:52 pm

I lost all my snap pea shoots and strawberries (while still green) to chipmunks last year. My gardens are along the edge of the forested part of my lot, so we have many many chipmunks and red squirrels.

Well I decided to wage war on the offending pests.....I set a large plastic V-trap (without any bait) in the garden by the snap peas until they came up and then in the strawberry box. Only the offenders that travelled through the garden that checked out the trap would be wacked.

I killed approximately 30 chipmunks .....and I did not use any peanut butter, just placed the set trap in the garden boxes being predated. There are still signs of chipmunks this year and I still see them around so I know I hardly put a dint in their population. My snap peas made it out of the ground this year without being all eaten, so it looks like I caught the ones that were conditioned to eating them.....now we'll have to see if I get some strawberries I love you .

They are digging a bit but that has lessened now that I have put the deer mesh back up. Maybe things will be different this year? Well at least until the chipmunks learn that there's food in the those boxy things.....

Female Posts : 189

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli on 5/29/2012, 10:20 pm

Grrrr... one of the only lemons on my dwarf lemon tree was downed by the squirrel today. What's worse is apparently he doesn't like green lemons; after removing it from the tree and taking a couple of bites (complete with teeth marks) he just left it in the pot by the trunk. Sad

I had some extra plastic gutter guard, so I encircled the rim of the pot with it. Maybe it will be spiky and unstable enough that the squirrel won't want to climb it.

I definitely smell trouble coming with the strawberries, zucchini, and pumpkin...

Female Posts : 300

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 5/30/2012, 8:39 am

No problem with my veggie garden, which is a raised box with a chicken wire fencing on top of it. However, they aparently don't care for my color scheme with the impatiens; every day 2 or 3 have been dug up and have to be replanted. It won't be a problem once they are well rooted, but were just planted a week ago.

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:49 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum